No Hiding From Darpa's ‘Social Interaction’ Sensors

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you were to rate this on a weirdo-matic scale of 1 - 10, what score would you give Darpa's latest experiment?

A new Pentagon experiment called “Assessment of Asymmetric Social Indicators” is setting out to build a sensor that picks up on the group dynamics of military units. The technology would be used for “measuring, and assessing social interactions in military contexts,” creating analytical snapshots of groups in “training, medical and mental health settings, [and] security.”

Private Johnson, sit down for a second. Per our most recent Social Indicator assessment, you were rated a "douchebag." Here is your action plan for improvement.

I like it! As long as the commanders don't get to set the metrics.

Is it weird that every time I hear "DARPA", I flash back to Metal Gear Solid?

The way we waste money you'd think we weren't on the verge of financial disaster. Pisses me off that we have money to waste on shit like this but we won't spend a dime on LFTRs.

Private Johnson, sit down for a second. Per our most recent Social Indicator assessment, you were rated a "douchebag." Here is your action plan for improvement.

I was thinking more along the lines of...

Your previous actions have indicated that you have a sociopathic tendency to resolve your conflicts using violence. Per our DARPA-BioWare interaction meter, I think your "Renegade" response is inappropriate to challenges to your opinion on college football.

/talknerdy?

This is so scary.

Next step is to implant chips into everyone's brain to monitor and control social interaction. You must agree with the collective. You must serve the collective. Your new designation is 12 of 12, squad 1 of 10, platoon 67. You will obey and conform to all predesignated social norms or your pain center will be provided with electrical stimulation. You will obey.

Yes finding people who need help before they hurt themselves or other is a good goal. Checking to make sure everyone is properly socializing to a predetermined and arbitrary metric is wrong. We all know that in a corporate or military setting it will just be about looking at reports and numbers. No excuses hit the numbers or get out of here.

Umm, I would rather they spent that money to buy more bullets, or something else soldiers need.

Social networks are just fail imo. Everything about them bores me to tears, and leaves me wondering what the hell people see in it. I suppose it is like reality TV in that sense. I don't get that either.

Why not. We have all that extra money and all...

Wow, the privacy buffs must be going crazy.

Except (if you read the article) you're in the Army and you don't join the Army to have privacy. They own you. They own the processes that you live by. Everything you do is around a defined deliverable and this tool will help to mitigate the risk around individual variability having a negative impact on the deliverable(s). Hell, as a PM I wish I could use this on my team(s).

Ok so rather than hire and train good people who are to be in the position of leadership, the military would rather turn the job of judging troop moral over to technology?

The possibility of each troop having a marker (during wartime) which they can use to indicate whether they are down, or in need of supplies would be advantageous though. Knowing, "Wow this military shit really sucks", doesn't seem helpful.

Or they could just ACTUALLY improve their mental health settings and security.

Minimum, there shouldn't be contractors over there making 3 (or 10) times as much as the service members, with little or no positive impact (driving empty trucks, threatening civilians). That's kind of a downer AND gets people killed.

More along the lines of:

Your previous actions have indicated that you have a sociopathic tendency to resolve your conflicts using violence. Per our DARPA-BioWare interaction meter, I think your "Renegade" response is in line with required psychological profiles.

You are hereby promoted to Captain.

I was thinking more along the lines of...

Your previous actions have indicated that you have a sociopathic tendency to resolve your conflicts using violence. Per our DARPA-BioWare interaction meter, I think your "Renegade" response is inappropriate to challenges to your opinion on college football.

/talknerdy?

Back