Chrome upgrades: Gamepad and WebRTC Support Coming in 2012

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Chrome is regularly updating in the background with many features you probably never notice, but early next year, there will be several upgrades that will likely grab your attention. Google Chrome will be adding plug-and-play gamepad, webcam and microphone support, along with WebRTC for real-time communication. It looks like Chrome has its eye on cloud-based gaming in the near future.

Google will also look to exploit the abilities of WebRTC, an open-source real-time communications application. This will grant users with the ability to communicate without the need for plug-ins.

Pretty cool, although I've read elsewhere that Firefox has supported gamepads for quite some time.
I want to like Chrome...I really do, but I just can't over how annoying the bookmarks menu support is. Combined with the need for extra plug-ins for everything (clearing cache, zooming in incognito, etc.) I just can't get used to it. I must've installed it a dozen or more times, but kill it off and go back to FF every time. Still, you have to respect what they're doing here.

Back