HDCP Security Protecting HD Video Cracked with Cheap Hardware

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I have a fondness for quoting Commander Scott from Star Trek when referring to digital encryption, and this is one of those times. "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Research scientists at Germany’s Ruhr University broke the HDCP encryption developed by Intel while working on a PhD thesis project , a little coding and $200 in parts. Thank you Scotty for your simple eloquence. :D

The team says that the intention was to investigate the fundamental security of HDCP and measure what it would cost to beat the encryption.

I'm glad this was done via a PhD project. Like the article says its pointless for pirates because it gets snatched long before the encrypted connection between your computer and your monitor.

Next we'll be hearing a story about a German graduate student being arrested for violating the DMCA... All the encryption in the world just inconveniences normal, paying users. Pirates aren't bothered by it.

<snip>All the encryption in the world just inconveniences normal, paying users. Pirates aren't bothered by it.

100% this...Instead of focusing how to make life more miserable for paying customers, they would be better served to figure out ways to produce better content.

HardOCP has security services now? Where do I hire the guy with the .50 cal? Will need that one for the birthday incase anyone tries to take more cake than they are allowed to have.

100% this...Instead of focusing how to make life more miserable for paying customers, they would be better served to figure out ways to produce better content.

Fire some reason reading that made me think of Ubisoft. :D

HDCP is still around? I thought that went the way of the dodo. Pulled old my old Radeon X1950 GT the other day, and saw the HDCP logo on it. Smiling as I realized it did squat to stop pirates.

It should just be ignored, for the good of humanity.

HDCP is still around? I thought that went the way of the dodo. Pulled old my old Radeon X1950 GT the other day, and saw the HDCP logo on it. Smiling as I realized it did squat to stop pirates.

It should just be ignored, for the good of humanity.

Every single TV, Blu-Ray Player, and Audio Reciever has this now-a-days. Had to upgrade my HD TV because it was DVI input only and as I got newer gear it just wouldn't display things anymore...kept having to use component.

Your convience is not as important as protecting the interests of the corporations. You will by things when they tell you to.

Interesting, once a key gets leaked the party will soon be over. but yeah, who's going to hack a data stream when it's simple as pie to simply copy the source such as a Blu Ray disk.

Interesting, once a key gets leaked the party will soon be over. but yeah, who's going to hack a data stream when it's simple as pie to simply copy the source such as a Blu Ray disk.

Eventually the source will be just a data stream ;)

Part of the reason I haven't bothered with BD on my desktop is that my FW900 CRT (which I LOVE) has no HDCP. Neither does my secondary monitor (an old 5:4 LCD). I'd have to install anti-HDCP tools, which I can do, but somehow the whole thing offends me too much to bother.

Part of the reason I haven't bothered with BD on my desktop is that my FW900 CRT (which I LOVE) has no HDCP. Neither does my secondary monitor (an old 5:4 LCD). I'd have to install anti-HDCP tools, which I can do, but somehow the whole thing offends me too much to bother.

It's pretty simple to get around this. If you enjoy movies Blu Ray is a must as it's the best quality video delivery system currently available.

Back