Corsair Sets New Overclocking World Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced that it has set a new world record with a memory frequency of 1733.8MHz (DDR3-3467) using Corsair Dominator® GT CMGTX6 extreme-performance DDR3 memory.

World champion overclocker and Corsair employee Jake "Planet" Crimmins set the new record at Corsair's laboratory with a custom-designed, liquid nitrogen cooled PC based on an AMD® FX-8150 processor and equipped with 1GB of Dominator GT extreme-performance DDR3 memory. The system was powered by a Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 fully modular power supply.

Interesting.

Looks cold, I'd be more interested in a closed loop of THAT cooling setup! :D

I don't understand the point.

There's no bragging rights IMO for an inconsequential amount of RAM with a non-reproducable setup.

If they want to show me what they can do with 8GB+ of RAM overclocked with a watercooling+RAM kit they sell, and state its the fastest in the world by all means. Even if its hugely expensive, at least its meaningful.

With all that condensation turned ice, I can't imagine the system would survive very long either :p

This whole competition should be based on ambient temperatures of roughly 75F and on air cooling only. This "Ice Age" benchmarking is fucking stupid.

Personally, I think it is kind of cool. (Pun intended.) Oh, and dceremuga, are you saying then that drag racing should only have a Toyota Prius and nothing more then?

Personally, I think it is kind of cool. (Pun intended.) Oh, and dceremuga, are you saying then that drag racing should only have a Toyota Prius and nothing more then?

Drag racing is equally retarded.

It's absolutely not interesting to see the performance of a computer that can only perform under very small isolated conditions for short periods of time.

Unless it is long term stable and convenient enough to be a "daily driver" I am completely uninterested.

this goes for both computers AND racing.

I don't understand the point.

There's no bragging rights IMO for an inconsequential amount of RAM with a non-reproducable setup.

If they want to show me what they can do with 8GB+ of RAM overclocked with a watercooling+RAM kit they sell, and state its the fastest in the world by all means. Even if its hugely expensive, at least its meaningful.

Not unlike all the recent OC records on a CPU with only TWO of the core enabled. Not impressed. How about OC the damn thing with ALL the core enabled, then get back to us.

What you don't see is the picture of all the equipment in the trashbin because it's all shorted out when the ice melted.

Move a long people, there's nothing to see here...

Zarathustra[H];1038057943 said:
Drag racing is equally retarded.

It's absolutely not interesting to see the performance of a computer that can only perform under very small isolated conditions for short periods of time.

Unless it is long term stable and convenient enough to be a "daily driver" I am completely uninterested.

this goes for both computers AND racing.

yes because I want to drive a prius over a drag/race car...

You're analogy doesn't apply here. In drag racing, are there certain parts you have to remove just to achieve "drag racing" speeds? Like how this OC world record attempt only uses (I presume - although I doubt there's a 1GB dual-stick DDR3 RAM) one stick of RAM?

You're analogy doesn't apply here. In drag racing, are there certain parts you have to remove just to achieve "drag racing" speeds? Like how this OC world record attempt only uses (I presume - although I doubt there's a 1GB dual-stick DDR3 RAM) one stick of RAM?

*Your, not you're. lol

I believe what he was trying to point out is that for a top fuel drag racer on a 4-5 second 1/4 mile run, the engine usualy falls apart before its even gone thru 1000 revolutions. Its not exactly built for longevity, and neither is this computer setup.

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

That analogy is flawed. In the benchmarking they can only achieve the results by changing the environment to a specialized one very few people can achieve - even other competitors. In drag racing, the cars (computers) are different in terms of parts (i.e. cpus, overclocking etc.) but the environment is equal for all competitors.

This would be like two cars drag racing but one of them is racing in four feet of standing water the entire way while the other is racing on a track that has been specially tuned to give that cars tires the best possible traction/friction response.

I believe what he was trying to point out is that for a top fuel drag racer on a 4-5 second 1/4 mile run, the engine usualy falls apart before its even gone thru 1000 revolutions. Its not exactly built for longevity, and neither is this computer setup.

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

This. Oh, and I wanted to get the obligatory car reference in as well. :D

Always wish I could be one of those "cost is no object" guys; binning chips, trialing tons of different products, ln2, etc. ><

So, aside from all the nitpicking about the insanity of the setup...

...that's it?

I mean, really - 1733.8MHz, and that's it, even with all that insane over-cooling??

Compared to ram you can buy out of the box that runs at DDR-2400, they are only managing DDR3-3467 with that insane cooling system? That's not even a 50% overclock with LN2 everywhere! It just seems...disappointing for the amount of effort involved.

So, aside from all the nitpicking about the insanity of the setup...

...that's it?

I mean, really - 1733.8MHz, and that's it, even with all that insane over-cooling??

Compared to ram you can buy out of the box that runs at DDR-2400, they are only managing DDR3-3467 with that insane cooling system? That's not even a 50% overclock with LN2 everywhere! It just seems...disappointing for the amount of effort involved.

Maybe it's because DDR3 can't really scale higher... :rolleyes:

Thank you, I'm sitting here thinking..."What's the point man?"

Taking an 8 core, lopping 7 off, with 1/4th the amount of memory needed to run a decent modern OS, who cares if you got it to 1000MHz or whatever?

I'd be embarrassed if I were AMD, it seems Bulldozer has found it's niche...and it's in pointless benchmarking. Other than that, it's kind of a washout for a platform compared to it's rival.

I hope this fail trend doesn't shift over to their GPU division or they are doomed, considering the yawn-fest that is the APU platform.

I remember when it used to take an equally cold setup to get a PIII to run at 1 GHz. A setup like this isn't practical but it brings us closer to the day when it will run that speed without the ridiculous cooling.

you most certainly can ;)

Well, I guess it depends on how much it;s modified. Too much in the way of weight reduction or engine tuning that affects emissions and it won't be street legal.

That and they tend to be expensive to operate, as many Porsche 911 GT3 owners have found when they go to replace their first set of tires :p

Oh, a set of tires is $2,500?

And they only last about 3 months?

Charge it :p

It's interesting from a technical aspect, but the sheer impracticality of this stuff makes it pointless. I'm not going to demand all OC's be done on air or something, but even a phase change rig can get plenty cold and actually run for more than a few minutes. In this instance disabling most of the CPU was inconsequential since the point was the RAM OC, but even with AMD's silly world record overclock they gimped the CPU to do it with no chance of running for any length of time.

Crazy hardware and environments are fine, but having an OC that's pretty much useless for actually getting anything done even if you can setup that environment is pointless.

It will be interesting to see in 5 years when we're no longer using DDR3 and see what speeds we're getting without the need to encase the computer in a block of ice.

Isn't corsair false advertising if they can't even make their ram, which from what I found is rated at 2400mhz, go past 1733mhz on LN2? I understand the limitations of the other computer hardware at this time but wouldn't it be more logical if they had LN2 cooling the CPU and chipset only and let the ram run with passive? Then they could say "this memory can run faster than what hardware is capable of without any extra cooling."

Wow all the hate... I remember a day when people overclocked for fun. It was our hobby, and half the fun the was out benching the next guy. Ohh well, I guess now days people actually have something to do with there computers. (Like troll the forums...) :rolleyes:

I think its cool as hell. Also you would be surprised how long a computer will last from condensation build up. I for one have never actually had a board short out from it. Not that it was that often.

Isn't corsair false advertising if they can't even make their ram, which from what I found is rated at 2400mhz, go past 1733mhz on LN2?
DDR3-2400=2400 MT/s (MegaTransfers per second), not MHz. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so DDR3-2400=1200MHz. This is DDR3-34xx=17xxMHz.

DDR3-2400=2400 MT/s (MegaTransfers per second), not MHz. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so DDR3-2400=1200MHz. This is DDR3-34xx=17xxMHz.

If that's so then my point is still pretty valid. Corsairs website here show this for the ram:

•Speed Rating: PC3-19200 (2400MHz) •Tested Speed: 2400Mhz

As well as newegg and other retailers never state the slower/proper speed.

DDR3 = 1/2 the advertised speed.

I don't see whats the point of 1700MHz per ram when the actual performance wall is 1600 for DDR3. Anything over DDR3 1600Mhz = 0 Performance gain for stupid price. (Its been proven)

Yay for a useless benchmark but grats on the bench anyways?

It's interesting from a technical aspect, but the sheer impracticality of this stuff makes it pointless. I'm not going to demand all OC's be done on air or something, but even a phase change rig can get plenty cold and actually run for more than a few minutes. In this instance disabling most of the CPU was inconsequential since the point was the RAM OC, but even with AMD's silly world record overclock they gimped the CPU to do it with no chance of running for any length of time.

Crazy hardware and environments are fine, but having an OC that's pretty much useless for actually getting anything done even if you can setup that environment is pointless.

Yup. Ditto.

Back