Reed Hastings Won't Be Microsoft's CEO?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If there ever was a chance of Reed Hasting becoming Microsoft's CEO...it died a couple weeks ago. Hell, I can't believe he's still CEO of his own company. :D

After a string of setbacks and missteps, Netflix delivered more bad news on Monday. The company is in need of cash. Netflix announced that the Web's top video rental service would raise $400 million by selling convertible notes and through a private placement. More worrisome still, the company also predicted a loss for 2012--after initially projecting a loss for only the first quarter.

This is the same idiot that promoted tax increases on his own blog. Fool.

HAHA the bastard got greedy and it backfired on him and now the company needs money to prop it up.
Another stupid decision by a ceo who doesn't understand !!

HAHA the bastard got greedy and it backfired on him and now the company needs money to prop it up.
Another stupid decision by a ceo who doesn't understand !!

LOL. No.

I'll spell it out for all ye streaming media business clue impaired:

When Netflix started the studios didn't give a fuck about the internet. So Netflix secured awesome content deals.

Then they gave a fuck.

Then the contracts expired.

Then the cost to stream a single title, in royalties to the studios, went up by orders of magnitude.

So Netflix has two options: 1) raise prices to cover the new cost of doing business 2) fold.

So, wake up folks, your days of $10 all you can eat streaming are coming to an end. Better fire up the seedbox and grovel for invites to the best trackers. Because the legit costs are only going up.

Oh but then how can Hulu do it?!?!?!ONE! I hear you cry, thinking you're all clever.

Hulu is backed by the studios. And they have ads. Duh.

That is the reality of the business. There's a reason Apple and Microsoft doesn't have subscription video services: there's no money in it. And Amazon? Well, if you like crusty ass old content then knock yourself out.

Netflix could go away tomorrow, and the impact on the media companies would be more direct than the impact on the viewers.

I can go without watching TV, hell I haven't had it for years now. All I've missed in that time is crappy reality TV, and a news media that sucks anyway. Loss to me: 0

So Netflix has two options: 1) raise prices to cover the new cost of doing business 2) fold.

No they also had another option:
3) Call the media companies bluff and stick to DVD's for a few more years. Eventually the media companies would have came crawling back with a better deal.

LOL. No.

When Netflix started the studios didn't give a fuck about the internet. So Netflix secured awesome content deals.

Then they gave a fuck.

Then the cost to stream a single title, in royalties to the studios, went up by orders of magnitude.

So, wake up folks, your days of $10 all you can eat streaming are coming to an end. Better fire up the seedbox and grovel for invites to the best trackers. Because the legit costs are only going up.

Oh but then how can Hulu do it?!?!?!ONE! I hear you cry, thinking you're all clever.

That is the reality of the business. There's a reason Apple and Microsoft doesn't have subscription video services: there's no money in it. And Amazon? Well, if you like crusty ass old content then knock yourself out.

while i do like amazons content fine (i'm not into popular stuff so i'm alright there.) this is pretty much it. It is not really the Netflix CEO being greedy and clueless. It's the typical behavior of big entertainment... they want to be rid of "pirates" so they lobby and attack, but then legit things such as netflix also isn't good enough because they realize that streaming has taken off, don't want to give up their archaic business plan, and therefore makes the cost of licenses basically ridiculous enough to make it nearly unfeasible.

TLDR they want to push netflix out of business so they can run their empire like its the 30's

No they also had another option:
3) Call the media companies bluff and stick to DVD's for a few more years. Eventually the media companies would have came crawling back with a better deal.

I honestly think this is a viable option...or well should have been a viable option. The explosion of decent quality streaming is excellent, but They should have just left the service as a little extra with meh content once the media companies started bullying...instead of knee jerking and jamming prices up... Winning the hearts and minds of consumers should have been the primary goal to put the heat on hollywood.

LOL. No.

Then they gave a fuck.

Thank you, somebody else actually gets it! All you "screw Netflix" robots need to check your programming. It isn't their fault, and you're gleefully watching the death of streaming content! Yay, I can't wait to go back to paying $100 a month for my crappy cable service, that'll show Netflix not to charge me an extra $5! Oh wait...

Thank you, somebody else actually gets it! All you "screw Netflix" robots need to check your programming. It isn't their fault, and you're gleefully watching the death of streaming content! Yay, I can't wait to go back to paying $100 a month for my crappy cable service, that'll show Netflix not to charge me an extra $5! Oh wait...

+1.

Without netflix, I think the streaming options will be essentially limited to paid+ad crap like hulu or non-cable-replacing streaming options like HBOGo or whatever Comcast's POS is.

Back