Modern Warfare 3 Sells $775M in Five Days

HardOCP News

[H] News
Despite the fact the game is just "meh," Modern Warfare 3 continues to set sales records. Activision says the game has raked in over $775 million in just five days. At $60 a pop, that is roughly 2.5M copies of the game sold each day. :eek:

According to Activision, Modern Warfare 3 grossed over $775 million worldwide in the five days since it hit shelves, exceeding the $650 million record set last year by Call of Duty: Black Ops and the $550 million record set a year earlier by Modern Warfare 2. That tally marks the highest five-day sales for any movie, book, music album, or video game ever released to this point.

Apparently a lot of people don't agree with you. I thought the game was pretty good. Played single player only.

The meatheads who keep buying this trash are ruining games for the rest of us. This is why no one wants to make an original IP anymore. Just keep re-releasing the same game, year after year, and sit back while you line your pockets with gold.

they don't have my cash :) haven't paid full retail for a game in many years

Three quarters of a billion dollars in sales in five days. Maybe next time around they will spend some of that money and record proper weapon sounds at the very least.

Apparently a lot of people don't agree with you. I thought the game was pretty good. Played single player only.

Well, put it this way...the game has made more money than any other game in history in that period of time....is the game REALLY that good? Ummm, no.

I beat the game in 5 hours and multiplayer is so full of the regular "CoD types" that it isn't fun at all. :(

You would just think that a game that has the greatest sales in history would have done something game changing / raised the bar / etc. etc. catch phrase.

Three quarters of a billion dollars in sales in five days. Maybe next time around they will spend some of that money and record proper weapon sounds at the very least.

MW4 gun sounds: some guy going "pew pew pew!"

The maps in multiplayer are terrible. You are always surrounded. Getting shot in the back more often than not really ticks me off. It's not thrilling for more than a couple matches and then it just feels like grinding levels to experience new equipment.

My enjoyment of this game is coming from the leveling system of constant unlocks. Even while sucking it up it seems I'm making progress and the support strike package allows for the illusion that I suck less.

Find it difficult to believe I'll play at all after hitting max level.

some fellow around here made a comment likening cod to the UT series recently. rehash after twitchfest rehash, people kept buying em. still fun. honestly, if we can pretend that epic was evil...then he was dead on. because you know...bobby kotick is a money-grubbing horseface. but this crap is so fun...

Well, put it this way...the game has made more money than any other game in history in that period of time....is the game REALLY that good? Ummm, no.

I beat the game in 5 hours and multiplayer is full of the regular "CoD types" that it isn't fun at all. :(

You would just think that a game that has the greatest sales in history would have done something game chaing / raised the bar / etc. etc. catch phrase.

The problem is that these games sort of created a whole new market. It introduced video games to a group of people who wouldn't otherwise give a game console a second look. My brother in law played the MW1 beta on my Xbox, and enjoyed it enough to go out and buy an Xbox of his own. The only games he owns for it are MW1/2/3 and Blops. I told me sister to get him Bad Company 2 for Xmas a year ago, and he played it for about an hour and traded it in at Gamestop.

People like this keep buying it because the $60 price tag doesn't really register to someone who only buys one game a year. It's the same reason it can outsell any other game, because they bought their Xbox for Call of Duty and nothing else.

The meatheads who keep buying this trash are ruining games for the rest of us. This is why no one wants to make an original IP anymore. Just keep re-releasing the same game, year after year, and sit back while you line your pockets with gold.

Madden 1995-2012
Mario new game every year
BF series, same thing different time setting
Morrowind/Bethesda - same thing every 2-3 years
Final Fantasy 1-14
Need for Speed
Any MMO + expansion

STFU... No one is ruining anything for anyone. They are companies and companies will sell what makes them money. If it does not sell, it will not be made.

You would just think that a game that has the greatest sales in history would have done something game changing / raised the bar / etc. etc. catch phrase.

They did. The engine can be ported to Etch a Sketch and runs well on the 2600 VCS. :D

Do you realize how retarded you sound? Seriously...maybe it is because people like it?

The market rejected Guitar Hero when it had enough...it will do the same with CoD.

Calling people stupid for buying a game and accusing them of ruining it for the you makes you sound like an elist prick who still lives in his moms basement.

Meanwhile the rest of society still plays games as a form of entertainment....not nit-pick them to pieces all while counting the ball hairs on Gordon Freemam's nutsack that their tri-crossli elite rig has just rendered at 1123423423x143523.

I passed on MW3 as BF3 is the better game in my opinion...but their is nothing wrong with people buying MW3. They are not ruining anything for me.

I'm not surprised. As much as I doubted MW3 and swore up and down that I wouldn't buy it, it's actually a great game... the new additions to perks, class systems and game modes in MP are awesome. Not to mention playing Spec-ops with friends... it's amazingly fun. Much much better than MW2

As much as some of the elitists would like to argue otherwise, there's a reason why COD sells as well and is as popular as it is. It's a great MP game. Gameplay > *

I passed on all those games and bought Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate and went to playing sim city 4. Finally was able to build a city and make profit without using a code :D

Modern Laydown Warfare 3: Worse Ops

I made the mistake of picking up this game thinking it would be as fun as MW2 was. It just feels like MW2 sped up with smaller maps.

Do you realize how retarded you sound? Seriously...maybe it is because people like it?

The market rejected Guitar Hero when it had enough...it will do the same with CoD.

Calling people stupid for buying a game and accusing them of ruining it for the you makes you sound like an elist prick who still lives in his moms basement.

Meanwhile the rest of society still plays games as a form of entertainment....not nit-pick them to pieces all while counting the ball hairs on Gordon Freemam's nutsack that their tri-crossli elite rig has just rendered at 1123423423x143523.

I passed on MW3 as BF3 is the better game in my opinion...but their is nothing wrong with people buying MW3. They are not ruining anything for me.

AMEN

Yep. Gaming is ruined. And we're to blame.

Gaming isn't ruined for me at all. I played this game and had fun. I thought it looked quite good, played good and sounded good. Dunno why some have to complain about every game. I just play. If I like I like, if I don't I don't. I don't lose any sleep over it either way. I played BF3 also. Single player both (I don't multiplay). I liked them both and didn't have a clear favorite. I like some things better in each one but both were fun and I'll keep both on my computer (along with Duke, Crysis 2 and Rage, heh heh). Dunno, I just have to have a lot in a game to complain about than what's in this game. Seems a lot of people here are not having fun playing games anymore cause they complain more than they play. For me it's the opposite. I've never enjoyed games more than now.

Madden 1995-2012
Mario new game every year
BF series, same thing different time setting
Morrowind/Bethesda - same thing every 2-3 years
Final Fantasy 1-14
Need for Speed
Any MMO + expansion

STFU... No one is ruining anything for anyone. They are companies and companies will sell what makes them money. If it does not sell, it will not be made.

Most of these are not good examples.

Madden - just as bad as COD. $60 for a roster update..
Mario - It's a new game every year, sure. The time frame is not a problem, its the content. Mario has always brought something new to the table. If they released the same game every year with new levels, it would be just as bad.
Battlefield - not even close. They don't come out nearly as frequently, and when they do, at the very least, they bring a new engine with them. The frostbite 2 engine is gorgeous. MW3's is the same as it ever was.
Bethesda games - Completely don't understand this. How is something every 2-3 years the same as once a year? Also, each iteration brings something different. Either a visual overhaul in the case of each elder scrolls game, or a completely different setting in the case of Fallout. Also, these games are completely massive, with hundreds of hours of gameplay behind them. COD is not...
Final Fantasy - Don't play them, so I can't say much here.
Need for Speed - Agree on this one completely, and I'm not any happier about those ones either. A fantastic franchise that was ran into the ground by crappy rehashes.
MMOs - Again, haven't played, so put these with FF series. But, I can at least guess that with these comes hundreds of hours of new content. It may be more of the same, but at least there is a significant amount of it.

As much as some of the elitists would like to argue otherwise, there's a reason why COD sells as well and is as popular as it is. It's a great MP game. Gameplay > *

MP is fun IF you play with your friends. Trust me, we love multiplayer around here.

BUT...jump in a random game and it is "WELCOME TO HATE SPEECH CENTRAL!" Ugh, I can't take more than a few rounds and I have to quit. CoD / Halo / BF games are so bad that it makes you want to choke people.

And, as far as sales go, if you have a teenage son (I do) I'll tell you what also drives sales up..."Dad, my friends all have it." ;)

There's just things that strike a chord with people. Is Facebook the greatest web site in history? The iPhone the great phone in history? I would say no but then these things obviously resonate with people. I love the CoD series for single player, not much of a multi-player gamer.

A lot of people obviously like CoD, just deal with it. If those that like the game are ruining gaming for those that don't like it, sorry, that's lame. CoDs success should make others strive for similar success, not by cloning CoD (which I do agree there's probably too much of that) but by finding the thing that makes CoD special.

Each game is pretty much a map pack of the last and it makes more and more money each time? WTF?

Most of these are not good examples.

Madden - just as bad as COD. $60 for a roster update..
Mario - It's a new game every year, sure. The time frame is not a problem, its the content. Mario has always brought something new to the table. If they released the same game every year with new levels, it would be just as bad.
Battlefield - not even close. They don't come out nearly as frequently, and when they do, at the very least, they bring a new engine with them. The frostbite 2 engine is gorgeous. MW3's is the same as it ever was.
Bethesda games - Completely don't understand this. How is something every 2-3 years the same as once a year? Also, each iteration brings something different. Either a visual overhaul in the case of each elder scrolls game, or a completely different setting in the case of Fallout. Also, these games are completely massive, with hundreds of hours of gameplay behind them. COD is not...
Final Fantasy - Don't play them, so I can't say much here.
Need for Speed - Agree on this one completely, and I'm not any happier about those ones either. A fantastic franchise that was ran into the ground by crappy rehashes.
MMOs - Again, haven't played, so put these with FF series. But, I can at least guess that with these comes hundreds of hours of new content. It may be more of the same, but at least there is a significant amount of it.

Yep. Not sure why he put MMOs, Mario, and Final Fantasy in there. To even put RPGs in the same level as MW3 is blasphemy.

MW3 took a dive when Sledgehammer Games got added in the mix. COD4 was really good, MW2 was meh, but I skipped BO and MW3 entirely. Nothing new was added at all and this game could have easily been a DLC to MW2. Enough said.

yeah the gun sounds are horrible i almost rather here the prepubescent middle schooler mic spam all match

Yep. Not sure why he put MMOs, Mario, and Final Fantasy in there. To even put RPGs in the same level as MW3 is blasphemy.

MW3 took a dive when Sledgehammer Games got added in the mix. COD4 was really good, MW2 was meh, but I skipped BO and MW3 entirely. Nothing new was added at all and this game could have easily been a DLC to MW2. Enough said.

It's clear that you haven't played it. MW3 is very different than MW2 (with exception to the engine)

It's better than MW2 is just about every way.

I'm really surprised that hollywood hasn't jumped on this franchise yet - with the cult like following it has, there's definitely money to be made in a movie or two.

Where's Uwe Boll!

It's clear that you haven't played it. MW3 is very different than MW2 (with exception to the engine)

It's better than MW2 is just about every way.

No, it isn't. Although I did play it on console as opposed to PC, it's almost exactly the same.

Each game is pretty much a map pack of the last and it makes more and more money each time? WTF?

Same thing for stuff like Madden and most other sports games. They rake in millions for making minor updates to the game. Something that serious PC gamers would balk at, but it seems to work on the console crowd who evidently don't mind getting exploited every year.

Whatever, I no longer care anymore. I play games that are good (this isn't one of them) and just keep my money on the rest. The people that buy garbage like this will either eventually learn that throwing away money on poor products is a bad idea, or they all make more than me and don't care either way.

I've enjoyed the Call of Duty series. However after Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare I've had less and less enjoyement out of each one. This one I'll skip until it's really cheap on Steam or something which will probably be never. There are too many other games right now more worthy of my attention.

I passed on all those games and bought Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate and went to playing sim city 4. Finally was able to build a city and make profit without using a code :D
I'm picking that UMVC3 up today once I get my paycheck! I want some new squads since I beast people with my Ryu/Zero/Doggy or Chris/Taskmaster/Akuma combo....

AMEN x2

Because people are retarded? And they don't want a challenge, the whole point to playing a game?

I mean, after all, the most popular shows on TV are Jersey Shore, need we say more? Average person doesn't want a challenging game, they just want something with "unlocks" and "perks" every 2 minutes to feed their ADD. Then they can pat themselves on the back and tell others how "newer and better looking this game is compared to the last" when there wasn't a single major change whatsoever.

But I am glad though that this game is out at the same time as BF3: that way all of the foul mouthed pubescent nerd raging racist non-team players don't infect the BF3 servers with their disease.

/me goes back to play BF3 and Skyrim

Because people are retarded? And they don't want a challenge, the whole point to playing a game?

The whole point of playing a game for most people is for fun. If you find challenges fun then great, some people just want some down time or escape from reality like me, real life has all the challenge I need.;)

Back