Sapphire 6970 FleX Battlefield 3 Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the Sapphire 6970 FleX Battlefield 3 Edition posted at PureOverclock today for those of you in the market for a new video card.

What's so special about this Sapphire 6970 FleX BF3 Edition? Well, it supports Eyefinity out of the box with no need for expensive DisplayPort or adapters. That capability is built directly into the card itself, independent of the monitors being used. This means that any monitors with DVI ports can now run Eyefinity.”

no need for expensive display port adapters? maybe I'm confused. But this card still only has two DVI and adapters are simply included. What is built into the card that makes it special?

afer reading the article, it appears this card provides enough power to the display port (and an included passive adapter) for it to be 'active', BUT only one. To run a fourth monitor you need an extra active adapter. Interesting twist but sounds very 'kluge!' and ghetto to me.

I have a couple 5850 in crossfire to run eyefinity I had to buy an expensive active DP to DVI adapter. With the newer cards IE: 6900 series is this still true? aside from the BF3 Edition.

I have a couple 5850 in crossfire to run eyefinity I had to buy an expensive active DP to DVI adapter. With the newer cards IE: 6900 series is this still true? aside from the BF3 Edition.

Yes, its still that way and a kick in the ass for someone like you and I, the 6k series has mini-DP connectors on it instead of DP connectors...which requires you to buy a different active adapter...

Many mini-DisplayPort cards come with a simple mDP->DP adapter, so you can continue using your existing adapter.

And the single-link active DP adapters are not so expensive, around $25-30 (the dual-link ones for 2560x1600 monitors are $90-100).

Back