RIAA Demands ReDigi Stop Selling Used Downloads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yeah, selling "used" downloads is a spectacular idea. Let me sell a few thousand of my used songs, I swear I don't have copies / back ups. :rolleyes:

ReDigi means to help people resell digital tracks the way consumers once resold their CDs. "Tracks that are eligible for resale will be removed from the seller's computer and all synced devices," ReDigi said in a press release last month. The track is then "stored in the ReDigi cloud, and offered for sale on ReDigi's Web site. When the song is purchased, the track and license will be instantly transferred to its new owner."

..and I swear I bought them and didn't pirate them either!

Too bad you only get ReDigi "credits" when you sell your songs...

Oh and I thought this snippet on their website was amusing
Selling four songs is usually enough to buy a song, hey that's way better than Game Stop!

I heard about some new idea on NPR the last week or so that uses actual real CD's as the backdrop for digital sales of song. I.E. you send them all your CD's and then they put them in their cloud for you to play digitally while they store the physical CD's in their warehouse. Then if you want to sell your songs you can but you are actually technically selling the real CD. They just have it in a warehouse. Once it is sold you no longer have access to it and the new person does. Sounded pretty neat and a good way to do this.

Oh, so intellectual property is only real property when they want it to be. I see how it is.

Pretty sure this all falls under the guise of you never actually own anything anymore, you simply buy a license to use it yourself* (*within their guidelines)

MakinCopies2.png

Too bad you only get ReDigi "credits" when you sell your songs...

Oh and I thought this snippet on their website was amusing

So i guess that means i can trade in 4 copies of my not so legal songs in liu of 1 copy of the legal version, yay!

As far as I'm concerned, services - be they via physical distribution or digital distribution - should not be allowed to prevent resale by a consumer that has purchased the product. But it's not like the government has the consumer in mind...

I, for one, think ReDigi is a good idea. Just because digital distribution makes it even easier to pirate (as you have no physical media to deal with) does not mean that we should give up our ability to use purchased content as if we - I dunno - bought it?

I, for one, think ReDigi is a good idea.

It's a good idea insofar that its business model literally requires it not to buy or sell a single goddamn thing. They've latched onto the fact that imaginary property laws grant rights holders the ability to create value from thin air, indefinitely.

As far as I'm concerned, services - be they via physical distribution or digital distribution - should not be allowed to prevent resale by a consumer that has purchased the product.I, for one, think ReDigi is a good idea. Just because digital distribution makes it even easier to pirate (as you have no physical media to deal with) does not mean that we should give up our ability to use purchased content as if we - I dunno - bought it?

Well, it's ok when you are dealing with a physical item, but computer files are a whole different ball game. You can re-sell your plasma TV without a problem if you want.......you can't make 100 identical tv's for free at home and sell them all, and then give some to friends and family.
You can with digital media though.

Selling "used" downloads. :D LOL
The whole concept is laughable.

It's not the fault of the service, as far as I'm concerned, that people might abuse it.

Why you all laugh at the legality of being able to resell something that you purchase is incomprehensible as far as I'm concerned. Maybe their system isn't set up all that well, but as far as I'm concerned, it's at least a first step into reclaiming our capitalistic freedoms in the digital world.

Why should you be allowed to resell the plasma TV but not a digital CD or game? Completely disregard the fact that pirates will love abusing the system. I know that is an issue, but it's not an issue with the concept, but with the people who would do it.

It's not the concept of being able to re-sell something I purchased. If you could guarantee everyone's honesty - then there isn't an issue with the service...but .......big surprise here.....YOU CAN'T.

So now to make it work, you might need something like real tight transaction records combined with massive DRM among other things.

Oh wait. Can't have that.

People want to "have your cake and eat it too".

It's not the fault of the service, as far as I'm concerned, that people might abuse it.

Why you all laugh at the legality of being able to resell something that you purchase is incomprehensible as far as I'm concerned. Maybe their system isn't set up all that well, but as far as I'm concerned, it's at least a first step into reclaiming our capitalistic freedoms in the digital world.

Why should you be allowed to resell the plasma TV but not a digital CD or game? Completely disregard the fact that pirates will love abusing the system. I know that is an issue, but it's not an issue with the concept, but with the people who would do it.

Yes. I can't believe that corporations have convinced people to give up their right to property and convinced them that all they have get is some sort of license.

How is this different, really, from selling a CD? It's also digital music. You could rip the CD with a 100% digital copy and sell it (and keep all of the music). Does the ones and zeros being on a piece of plastic really make a difference?

I'm glad someone wants to fight the RIAA and its cronies. Maybe they'll set up a legal donations fund ;)

Yeah, selling "used" downloads is a spectacular idea. Let me sell a few thousand of my used songs, I swear I don't have copies / back ups. :rolleyes:

While I agree, I don't see how this is all that different from selling a used CD. If someone sells a CD, is there any reason to believe they don't have it sitting on a CDR, computer or DAP someplace? Nope.

That said, if you buy soundfiles, you get the songs for less. The tradeoff is sound quality, the ability to resell them.

That said, if you buy soundfiles, you get the songs for less. The tradeoff is sound quality, the ability to resell them.

That's fine when we have the option of buying the physical copy, but what about when that stops being an option? You know things are going that way. It's even being talked about that CD production is going down, down, down.

And then there's Steam. I went to the Skyrim midnight launch to buy it only to get home and have to activate it on Steam. So now I can't resell the game even though, as it turns out, I don't even like it.

Again, why is this okay?

That's fine when we have the option of buying the physical copy, but what about when that stops being an option? You know things are going that way. It's even being talked about that CD production is going down, down, down.

And then there's Steam. I went to the Skyrim midnight launch to buy it only to get home and have to activate it on Steam. So now I can't resell the game even though, as it turns out, I don't even like it.

Again, why is this okay?

There's never been an album that I couldn't buy on a CD, so that's not a concern at this point. If that happens, then I'll revisit my opinion. Considering you can still buy vinyl for a lot of releases (although given how albums are mastered, I don't see the point), I don't see CD's disappearing anytime soon. Yes, sales are dropping, but AFAIK, they're still greater than downloads.

Games are a different market, and it's not a debate I'm terribly interested in. There was never a 2nd hand PC game market...well there was briefly, but it was shut down by the industry in the 80s or early 90s.

There was never a 2nd hand PC game market...well there was briefly, but it was shut down by the industry in the 80s or early 90s.

I used to buy used pc games right from the eb games store in the mall. I think they stopped selling used pc games in like 2004-5.

Back