New Firefox Available For Download

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative browser types out there should head on over to Mozilla's blog for the download link and all the latest info on Firefox 8.

Today, we’re releasing an update to Firefox for Windows, Mac, Linux and Firefox for Android. This update includes new features that make Web browsing easier and give users and developers more control over how they customize their Web experience.

I think it's time to stop calling Chrome and Firefox alternative browsers.

it's time to stop releasing browsers every week (at least it seems that way)

I think it's time to stop calling Chrome and Firefox alternative browsers.

Heh yeah. Safari and Opera maybe, but Firefox and Chrome have big enough market shares now to be more than "alternative"

I am going to be the first to call attention-whoring to releasing a new major version weekly. Firefox is rapidly losing ground to Chrome (why I don't know, Chrome sucks in comparison imho anyway) and they think that by calling it a new major version rather than a small revision the Firefox name stays in the news cycle.

Funny enough, i went to check my version via Help>About and it updated for me. No need to head over. Great timing.

i dont like their plan of doing minor release as major numbers.

doesnt seem like they did much in this version

I didn't even know 7 was released...and now they're already on 8?

Someone should probably explain to Mozilla how major/minor version numbers work in software. Major increments typically mean introduction or removal of large feature sets and API-breaking changes.

I liked Firefox and still do on Windows but they have poor support for OS X features. Chrome is just easier for me to use on a Mac.

Firefox needs:
-Full Screen through Lion API
-2-finger forward/back swipe

Sounds small but it can make a big difference on a laptop.

it's time to stop releasing browsers every week (at least it seems that way)

I find it funny.. People bitch when they don't release new ones fast enough.. Now they bitch when they release them fast.

I didn't even know 7 was released...and now they're already on 8?

Someone should probably explain to Mozilla how major/minor version numbers work in software. Major increments typically mean introduction or removal of large feature sets and API-breaking changes.

lol, they probably are API-breaking changes. Plugins have to constantly play catch up.

Some of the plugins are broken, but I can live with that. Since I switched to 8 it hasn't froze up once so I happy with the update.

This is just great, one of the sites I go to quite often now causes the 8.0 version to hang and stop responding. On top of that Firefox becomes a memory hole after I try going there until I kill the process.

Nice going Mozilla.

So did they fix firefox yet? :(

damn plugin container...

that's my question as well. I actually reverted to 3.6.23 (after using 4 < 5 < 6 < 7)
when I read that they actually released an update to the last one that was most "unbroken" (least memory leakage).

I don't plan on getting rid of firefox until adblock plus and no-script are available to either chrome or IE.

I don't plan on getting rid of firefox until adblock plus and no-script are available to either chrome or IE.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ibdccddilifddb?hl=en-US&utm_source=chrome-ntp

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...pidmdajjpkkcfn?hl=en-US&utm_source=chrome-ntp

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ijlflahbdbdgdf?hl=en-US&utm_source=chrome-ntp

It was a sad day when I abandoned Firefox but I have to say I don't miss it. The extensions for Chrome are quite extensive now so the Firefox addons were not enough to tie me to it any longer.

I only use Firefox due to it being the only browser that does & has what I want, and... emm.. ok,. I'm sure there is a difference somewhere... it still works and they didn't break anything so I guess it's good.

/Shrug

i use firefox for my alternative gmail account
chrome for my main though,.. chrome has some nice apps though

I wanted to not use FF anymore. I hate that "every day is patch day" shit.

So I went with IE9. And for the first time in almost 10 years of online banking, my bank account got hacked. Of course I could have done something wrong, but it's too much of a coincidence.

Back to FF. But I still loathe this update thing... if only they get it right, without breaking all the addons.

That's why I switched to Chrome (using the stable version, not the betas). Very happy so far.

I know Chrome will push updates through the stable channel, but they seem like they are slower on pushing those updates out; nowhere near as rapidly as Firefox. The betas update frequently, but the stable it seems like they don't push those out as much. And the stable Chrome (15.xxxxxxwhatever) is very good.

It's either Chrome stable or go back to Firefox 3.6.24 (they just released update 24). Nah. That's too far of a step backward.

I went ahead and ditched Thunderbird on my work computer too and switched all the email over to Outlook (which in hindsight I probably should have done anyway a long time ago).

So I went with IE9. And for the first time in almost 10 years of online banking, my bank account got hacked. Of course I could have done something wrong, but it's too much of a coincidence.

Back to FF. But I still loathe this update thing... if only they get it right, without breaking all the addons.

Wow, I was about to switch to IE for the BF3/battlecrap/origin bug with everything except voice chat.... think I'll pass :D

I actually just went from 6.0--->7.0---->8.0 (today to try and fix the BF3 bug, but I guess its my addons since friend with stock 8.0 runs battlecrap fine)

Oh, and the addon updater got more advanced in 7.0 and is DEFINITELY a lot more snazzier in 8.0. Before it opens up 8.0 upgraded..... it looks up updates for apps, and such. Very easy, no problems with the upgrades with Firefox addons since 7.0 here! Maybe you should try it out again.....

Happily using 3.6.*

I actually was using that until 7, when I finally dove in. The only thing that held me back were a few old unsupported add-ons.....but I ended up giving in and dumping them.

No problems at all with 7 or 8.

Back