XSPC RayStorm CPU Water Block

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are into watercooling, you might want to check out this review of the XSPC RayStorm CPU water block posted at PureOverclock today. Definitely a neat looking block, comes with LED lighting and the price isn't too bad either. Hit the link for all the details.

The new block sure looks great, but Performance is King as we say around here, so today we'll find out if XSPC has managed to succeed or succumb to its own claims. Let's dive in and find out if the XSPC RayStorm can measure up.

This seems like an excellent block. Not only does it have above-average flow, but it's temperatures are at the front of the pack. Usually it seems like you have to choose between temperature or flow, but this is the best of both worlds, and it looks sweet. I'd have this on my list if I did WC.

I bought one a few days ago as well based on some reviews that I read. It was ahead of the pack and beat any EK or other block it was put up against. It's also being sold at a decent price. Plus, it looks cool :cool:

fairly impressive block.
i've added one to my cart (haven't pulled the trigger yet), should be a decent upgrade over my old swiftech GTX block.

Nice block but I think the led's look tacky since they aren't integrated.

I got one when they came out after reading some reviews and I've been pretty happy about it. The acrylic hold down kind of scared me but it has a metal plate that helps secure it. Also the mounting system is a little weird but over all I'm happy with its performance. As for the LED's being tacky, you don't have to put them on there. I would though because lights make computers go faster.

I got one when they came out after reading some reviews and I've been pretty happy about it. The acrylic hold down kind of scared me but it has a metal plate that helps secure it. Also the mounting system is a little weird but over all I'm happy with its performance. As for the LED's being tacky, you don't have to put them on there. I would though because lights make computers go faster.

I have to agree mounting it was iffy on top of that there was no instructions. You have to go on line to get. Also it the mount bends a little which is normal from the reviews I read.
I used orange leds in mine.

just spent the cash on mine.

the hold-down plate is definitely a concern now that people mention it. if the screws are tightened too much, temperature variations over a period of time will probably cause hairline cracks to appear in the acrylic. if it becomes a problem, wouldn't be hard to mock-up a hold-down plate if xspc doesn't. lose the pretty LEDs but the block should be fine.

Last edited:
I'm just adding in some info for those that are using the search function. As of right now, I'd avoid the raystorm if you have a asus rampage iv. The provided backplate for socket 1366/2011 does not work with the either of the backplates used on the rampage iv. I've contacted xspc and am awaiting a reply, just know that these two items do not play well with each other currently. Im having to use my cooler from my previous build currently.

Wish someone had it in stock somewhere... want to replace my Rasa block and green LED!

I'm just adding in some info for those that are using the search function. As of right now, I'd avoid the raystorm if you have a asus rampage iv. The provided backplate for socket 1366/2011 does not work with the either of the backplates used on the rampage iv. I've contacted xspc and am awaiting a reply, just know that these two items do not play well with each other currently. Im having to use my cooler from my previous build currently.

thanks for the heads up!

The block seems really nice, love the additions of the LEDs too. I wonder how much different it'd be to spec this out with the parts in an RX360 kit versus just going with the RX360 kit.

Last edited:
Anyupdates on this thing being compatible with the Rampage IV? I really really really really want this block but it wont fit right now according to so many people. It would behoove XSPC to make a black plate that works.

Still, no reply from xspc for me regarding the block. I'll email them again before I go to sleep in a few hours.

EDIT: just sent my second email to xspc @ 0630mst, lets see if they get back to me before I go to work and disappear for a week starting wens/thur.

Last edited:
If my HF supreme turns out to have the plating plague this is my block.

They replied to me after a few days and here is a compilation of what they said to me:

Pls replace the backplate coming with the MB with our 1366 one. It will be ok.
http://www.xs-pc.com/2011/11/socket-2011-mounting-kit-notice/

and

From their link:
November 18, 2011

We will be shipping socket 2011 fixing sets to resellers very shortly. There will be no need to replace the existing mounting plate for the Rasa, RayStorm or Delta V3 i7 blocks. All that is needed is the new fixing set.

If you need to watercool a socket 2011 chip in the meantime you could (at your own risk) use one of the following options as a temporary solution. Neither of these options is ideal and we highly recommend you wait for the official socket 2011 fixing set.

Nice, I received the same 'use thier backplate instead' reply this morning. Didn't see they realized the problem, as I sent a response saying that wouldn't work well due to how the socket is secured. No response from my follow up, but it looks like they know the problem at least.

EDIT: Just received another reply, and was told to wait for the official solution to the backplate not fitting, which should be incoming 'soon'.

Last edited:
Anyone here yet tried this on socket 2011??

Just ordered the RayStorm and a Rampage IV Extreme mobo, so just wanted to know if the temporary fix that was linked atleast works? I can deal with it until they get the proper fixings out.

It works. I had done it before they had that web page up. Just be careful when screwing it in as the original part prevents you from over tightening while the fix does not.

I installed a raystorm on a 2600K last week. I really like the block a lot. The acrylic hold down is plenty strong enough. I have no concerns about it failing.

Back