Gates, Not Jobs, Deserves Recognition

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to Maxwell Wessel of the Harvard Business review, the well-deserved business accolades that have been bestowed upon Steve Jobs since his death should be saved for Bill Gates instead, citing Gates’ philanthropy as the business model to emulate.

His argument is simple: Bill Gates sees his ultimate legacy as helping others and changing the world via philanthropy, while Steve Jobs saw his ultimate legacy as building a great company.

I can buy this. Everybody hates Microsoft for some reason but I think Bill Gates has done pretty well and contributed a lot to the overall quality of life of the average dude.

I dont think he's an Abraham Lincoln or anything but as businessmen go, he deserves as much recognition and respect as any of them, especially considering how much he has given back thru his philanthropy alone.

Job's money. People shouldn't care what he did with it.

Super irony right here. You are telling other people your opinion on not having an opinion on somebody elses opinion. Seriously?

Fact : Bill Gates did abd is doing a lot more to help people with his money

Fact: People appreciate it when others use their wealth to help others

Get over it.

This is so true. Like I said before... just google "Donated Bill Gates" and then google "Donated Steve Jobs" and tell me who was the better man...... Gates!

Matter of fact, good timing... he is talking today on CNN tonight at 8PM (Eastern) with one of the best journalists about his donations. Check it out, everyone should watch the show... its about our education system in depths.

I agree.. I have never been a jobs fan.. Yes he knew how to run a business, but that doesnt make him a good person.

[Sarcasm]

YEAH.. another Jobs is evil/good vs Gates evil/good debate!! Certainly can't have enough of those especially when there isn't anything else better to talk about!!

[/Sarcasm]

Wow, more articles about Jobs on Hard. I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING AT ALL.

Just name this site MacRumors_LOLJOBS.com at this point.

Don't care, like others have said. But I still think what apple did was stupid. Seems contradictory but these guys got paid for what they've done while apple paid out bonuses for what they might do or hope to do.

Super irony right here. You are telling other people your opinion on not having an opinion on somebody elses opinion. Seriously?

Fact : Bill Gates did abd is doing a lot more to help people with his money

Fact: People appreciate it when others use their wealth to help others

Get over it.

Fact: Not everyone's beliefs are the same.

Fact: Gates made a quirky but incredibly funny set of commercials with Jerry Seinfeld.

Fact: Jobs made a clothing style (black turtlenecks) become popular again instead of letting them die along with bell bottoms.

Who is the better man ?

I think we can all agree that both of these men were great at fucking others in the business world.

The only difference is it seems Steve Jobs didn't care who knew about it and with his track record enjoyed the hell out of it.

Gates sure pulled a few boners -- but the truth is you can buy forgiveness and I think 50 billion dollars buys a helluva lot.

I subscribe that yes, just because jobs was loaded is no reason he should be obligated to give money away. If you think otherwise, ask yourself where you draw the line on "when" you should start giving your cash away? 5 billion dollars? Yeah sure what about 5 million dollars? 500,000?

Put my standard of living against some poor african and using some peoples logic I should be giving away everything I have. No way in hell that would happen though.

At the end of the day Steve jobs was just a man, just like me, you , or that homeless guy who pisses on your car from time to time. It's well documented that Steve lived his life thinking rules don't really apply to him, he's no saint, no messiah, no genius. He had talents that mattered and did the right thing at the right time. Thats all, nothing more.

I do wonder though: as he took his last few breaths I wonder if Steve though that maybe had he not been such an uppity hippy douche and rejected modern medicine for all those months (subscribing to the all fruit/veggie diet) maybe he would have made it. All I know is that if I had billions of dollars and unlimited access to the cutting edge of medical science I'd have them growing me an all new body in the lab.

Fact: Not everyone's beliefs are the same.

Your point? Or are you trying to be all smart? Your fact is a non-sequitur to my argument.

The post I quoted to was saying don't have an opinion and I was calling the irony. Furthermore, the reason why many people have that opinion of Jobs vs Gates is because of the two facts are I posted.

But seriously...even if there are other people out there that applaud hoarding all your $ and telling the rest of the world to fuck off and die, they don't matter and have no bearing on the overall opinion of the public at large.

In 50 years, there is a good chance that people will still know of Bill Gates and the organizations he left behind. That, is a legacy. The only thing they will be talking about Steve Jobs is..oh, they won't. Jobs was a brilliant and brutal business man..but a compassionate human being, NO!

I do wonder though: as he took his last few breaths I wonder if Steve though that maybe had he not been such an uppity hippy douche and rejected modern medicine for all those months (subscribing to the all fruit/veggie diet) maybe he would have made it. All I know is that if I had billions of dollars and unlimited access to the cutting edge of medical science I'd have them growing me an all new body in the lab.

I agree.

Modern science is testament to the power of man's rational mind, and his ability to use it. To throw that aside only makes him a fool - sorry to say.

Imagine the progress we could make if we examined our own lives with the same fervor and critical eye with which we examine others'.

Imagine the progress we could make if we examined our own lives with the same fervor and critical eye with which we examine others'.

I think I see where you are going -- for argument sake I would ask what part of our own lives do you think we should examine the most?

The first thing that comes to my mind is general charity - Steve had none (that we know about) I'll be honest - I don't give to charity, I don't give homeless people money, and I don't buy gas for the guy bumming at the gas station. Reaason being is I make under 30K a year, and in the process of paying off debt. I work long and hard for my money and see no reason to give to others due to their poor life choices. If I had money falling out of my ass like Gates of Jobs, it would be a different story. I'm doing great to keep a roof over my head and gas in my tank and relying on NO one but myself to do it.

The most optimistic approach from your comment would be the fact that if everyone stopped to think about the stupid crap they have done or are wanting to do, we probably wouldn't need charities or welfare as everyone would be rational enough to work for what they have and save what they get. Sadly most of the world is a live in the moment do what I want and damn the consequences type of person so I have no sympathy.

Look at Steve -- he did exactly what he wanted and now he's 6 feet under.

No one likes the greedy and selfish. Well, except maybe Randroids trying to justify their own greed and selfishness.

I'd love to be in a position where I had enough money to dictate how my charitable contributions are spent. The feeling of really making a big positive change in a persons life is great, but most of us aren't in a position to do so. Those of us who are seem interested only in acquiring more stuff for themself.

Somewhere along the way, we got the idea that money and success at any cost is the true essence of America. That's when our country died, and now the corpse is starting to stink.

I am taking 3 classes and work 40-50 hours a week to make $500 a week, I donate around 10-15% of my income. I do this because I realize if I live my life a certain way, at certain incomes, I can still help others. This of course could very possible change if I had kids.

Can we really say with total honesty that the guy who gave us..

microsoft-bob.jpg

and

Clippy.png

.. is really THAT great of a guy?

Funny that not that long ago, before Jobs return, this is what most of us were thinking when we thought of Gates..

bill-gates-borg.gif

.. and only after his dismal performance during the Microsoft/US Government trials and this..

2385921210_fc660fab75.jpg

.. did he start doing things to change his image.

I am taking 3 classes and work 40-50 hours a week to make $500 a week, I donate around 10-15% of my income. I do this because I realize if I live my life a certain way, at certain incomes, I can still help others. This of course could very possible change if I had kids.

we make pretty much the same - I however donate nothing. Not trying to be snide but paying off credit cards, IRS, and my car leaves me pretty strapped as it is. I will never mock or dictate how someone wants to spend THEIR money.

For my situation I don't thin it's a greed thing -- it's just having the ability to do it and do it comfortably. I never want to be the guy that over stretches himself and has to rely on others for handouts.

Many a' night I have fallen asleep just for fun thinking EXACTLY what I would do if I won the lottery. Surprisingly all I really want is a semi-nice house 100% paid for, a really fixed up garage, and my own man cave. I don't care about boats/trips/jewelry/parties/etc etc. And I know I'm not greedy because it would please me to no end to be able to help all my friends out in ways I know they would need and appreciate it. For example paying of a friends car or helping a maried couple with a down payment on a house. I'd love to be able to do it all, alas my 500/week only goes so far.

Gates is like the worst person ever. They are all just Apple bashing to try and knock them down since they don't play ball with the establishment oppressors.

I am not a big fan of Jobs but... employing tens of thousands of people paying them well and making a lot of them rich so the can all be productive, contribute, pay taxes, be self dependent, etc. is in itself the best kind of philanthropy, running your stock price up so educational and charitable endowments, retirement funds and such can support their institutions and pensioners is in itself philanthropy... none of that is anything to be sneered at.

Neither man is/was perfect and both men deserve huge accolades.

Gates is like the worst person ever. They are all just Apple bashing to try and knock them down since they don't play ball with the establishment oppressors.

Oh the irony... the Apple ecosystem equals oppression, you are only allowed to do what Apple thinks you should be allowed to do on hardware you own.

No one likes the greedy and selfish. Well, except maybe Randroids trying to justify their own greed and selfishness.

I'd love to be in a position where I had enough money to dictate how my charitable contributions are spent. The feeling of really making a big positive change in a persons life is great, but most of us aren't in a position to do so. Those of us who are seem interested only in acquiring more stuff for themself.

Somewhere along the way, we got the idea that money and success at any cost is the true essence of America. That's when our country died, and now the corpse is starting to stink.

"Some people believe that whoever has the most stuff when he dies, wins. Well, you're dead, fuck-nut. So you didn't win."

Job's money. People shouldn't care what he did with it.

Considering Jobs publicity through the media, I'm pretty sure people world wide would care. Do you want me t quote Uncle Ben's words? Oh well, here we go: ''With great power, comes great responsibility''. Gates catered to more people than Jobs had ever done in his lifetime, both direct AND indirectly.

we make pretty much the same - I however donate nothing. Not trying to be snide but paying off credit cards, IRS, and my car leaves me pretty strapped as it is. I will never mock or dictate how someone wants to spend THEIR money.

For my situation I don't thin it's a greed thing -- it's just having the ability to do it and do it comfortably. I never want to be the guy that over stretches himself and has to rely on others for handouts.

Many a' night I have fallen asleep just for fun thinking EXACTLY what I would do if I won the lottery. Surprisingly all I really want is a semi-nice house 100% paid for, a really fixed up garage, and my own man cave. I don't care about boats/trips/jewelry/parties/etc etc. And I know I'm not greedy because it would please me to no end to be able to help all my friends out in ways I know they would need and appreciate it. For example paying of a friends car or helping a maried couple with a down payment on a house. I'd love to be able to do it all, alas my 500/week only goes so far.

If you had no debt, a million dollar home, 4 luxury cars and $10 million in the bank I would call it greed if said person did not help those around him/her. If I was in your situation, I would be unable to donate much if any money. Steve Jobs had a lot of money, enough money that giving 5-10% to a good cause would of helped tremendously.

I have to agree with others... When you have a ridiculous amount of money they best way to spend it is to help other people. I'm not saying give it all away, but hell I'm poor and even I donate to others who are less fortunate than me. It should be expected of all rich people.

wow, sweet, got to give you credit.... the one thing i found is that my life keep changing, 10 years ago i was making 160k a year, now i am working towards becoming a baker...

go figure

Great part

Then Wessel concludes:

As much as I love Apple, Inc, I would happily give up my iPhone to put food on the plates of starving children. Steve Jobs turned his company into a decade long leader in the truly new space of mobile computing. Bill Gates decided to eliminate malaria. Who do you think we should be putting up on a pedestal for our children to emulate?

I am not a big fan of Jobs but... employing tens of thousands of people paying them well and making a lot of them rich so the can all be productive, contribute, pay taxes, be self dependent, etc. is in itself the best kind of philanthropy,

I doubt these folks are rich at all...

iPhone_factory_workers_380px.jpg

iPhone workers
This is how they live.
article-1285980-09FFBFAD000005DC-122_636x456.jpg

Let see if I've got this straight. Bill Gates gives billions to keep people alive in Africa and other places, and Steve Jobs has been making products at Asian companies that pollute the environment and eventually kill people.

Sounds like population stabilization to me. They both did philanthropy in their on way.

Back