United and Continental plan to roll out in-flight Wi-Fi during 2012

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The airlines are finally catching on that passengers want decent internet access when they fly. United and Continental will be partnering with Panasonic Avionics to bring in-flight high speed connections via satellite based Wi-Fi that will be fast enough to stream video.

According to officials at the company, Panasonic’s Ku-band satellite technology offers faster speeds than air-to-ground connectivity which is the technology used by Gogo Inflight Internet service.

Will this apply for trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific flights? If so, I seriously hope it takes off. :p

All for a low low fee of $20 per flight

That's what I was thinking.. you can get it but it'll cost you out the ass.

I thought it was dangerous to use wireless devices during flights...
Only if you aren't paying for it.

I bet ping times are horrendous so no gaming but be nice to cruise the [H]. I wonder what throughput will be like.

You know, I'd spend $20 for a high speed access if I'm going to be flying 8 hours+. I can justify going with $20 for that since its easy to spend more then $20 for entertainment, all I need is one connection and I'm fine. I spend a lot of money on DS games since thats the only time I play them (on the plane) and if I had this I wouldn't buy them.

In 2009, Hughes initiated development of Jupiter, a next generation, high-throughput satellite system. Employing a multi-spot beam, bent-pipe, Ka-band architecture, Jupiter is designed with 100+ Gbps capacity and an enhanced version of the IPoS standard, the world's leading broadband satellite standard approved by TIA, ETSI, and ITU

Holy shitballs, I hope this makes its way out to Afghanistan before I get out there (I know, I know. Probably not.)

All for a low low fee of $20 per flight

This. RIGHT. HERE. I wouldn't pay a dime for internet access on a plane, and they are going to charge something like $10-20 at minimum. I don't give a fuck because I already know it's going to be unacceptable.

Well United/Continental have been low on this one. US Airways (actually in Star Alliance with United/Continental), Delta, Virgin America, Jet Blue, and other have had this on flights for a while.

I'm not sure on what the United pricing will be, but on US Air I believe it's $12/flight.

The downfall is that it's only available on continental US flights...anything over an ocean and you lose connection after 30 minutes. Hope they fix that...

Alaska Airlines had onboard WiFi for almost a couple of years if memory serves right. The speed is decent, the latency is meh. Not worth the price imho especially not in coach where you can barely find room to sit yet to monkey around with laptop/tablet.

My computer instructor went to California from Minnesota and delta airlines was experimenting with Wi-Fi on He the plane so he used his iPhone / laptop without evil gremlin’s popping out and sawing the wings off the air plane .:D He was able to cruise through Facebook and Newegg pretty good but the games failed ping was way too high. :(

Back