Apple Gives Its Key Execs $400 Million in Bonuses

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple has been riding the crest of the success wave for years now and it’s not shy about spreading the wealth among those responsible for making it happen. Starting with Tim Cook coming on board as CEO, the amount of stock bonuses awarded so far this year is two million shares, worth an estimated $800 Million.

“These stock grants are meant to reward them down the road for their hard work in helping to keep Apple the most innovative company in the world.”

Bye-bye giving employees a nice environment to work and create in, hello over-payed execs that do nearly nothing.

Gotta love it.

Bye-bye giving employees a nice environment to work and create in, hello over-payed execs that do nearly nothing.

Gotta love it.

How do you know this? Have you been inside Apple's Cupertino HQ?

Simply ridiculous. Imagine how many jobs that could have been. And they say that giving companies more tax breaks will help them create more jobs. Looks to me like it would create bigger executive bonuses to me.

Good for them!

I think the 99%ers will have something to say about this

Rotfl... :D ... The 99% have been buying apple crap, so what do the 99% have to complain where their money goes afterwards?

Simply ridiculous. Imagine how many jobs that could have been. And they say that giving companies more tax breaks will help them create more jobs. Looks to me like it would create bigger executive bonuses to me.

Not to really start something here. But this line gets pushed so often. If only ALL of the additional income/bonuses from those making more than the median would be redistributed to those making less than the median, everything would work perfectly. While I recognize things can get out of control, so many people tend to think that any amount is too much and don't realize that not anyone can fill these roles in the private sector where these individuals are ultimately responsible for the success/failure of the business.

Not to really start something here. But this line gets pushed so often. If only ALL of the additional income/bonuses from those making more than the median would be redistributed to those making less than the median, everything would work perfectly. While I recognize things can get out of control, so many people tend to think that any amount is too much and don't realize that not anyone can fill these roles in the private sector where these individuals are ultimately responsible for the success/failure of the business.

I think a few top executive getting the better part of a billion dollars in stock bonuses is excessive. Should they be rewarded for their success? Yes, but for fuck sake if that isn't excessive I don't know what is.

I would be very curious to see how much of that ends up being sold right away.

Why do you people care? Its not your company, if you don't want them to give out bonuses don't buy their shit. End of story.

Hell I hope they give the execs a billion dollars apiece and close the doors. Then where will these poor rich kids that are protesting get their status symbol phones?

Why do you people care? Its not your company, if you don't want them to give out bonuses don't buy their shit. End of story.

Hell I hope they give the execs a billion dollars apiece and close the doors. Then where will these poor rich kids that are protesting get their status symbol phones?

I don't. :rolleyes:

But it's still sickening that there is just so much they could've done with the money instead of "investing" into the future of improving on their company.

that's enough cash to pay 8000 engineers $100k for a year.

Yeah, except that's not how businesses work. Any quick look at Apple's financial statements tells us that they had had excess cash for awhile now. Excess cash can be a problem in a business. I am not going to go into accounting 101 for everyone, you can Google it. A few points though-

a) this is a one time deal, the engineers would not be able to stay for more than a year
b) that would make next years statement look bad, because then the engineers would have to come up with something at least that profitable (they won't)
c) this move gets the stockholders off the execs backs about using the money for something. Apple is doing fine (I hate Apple, fwiw), spending cash somewhere else will just waste it and make the next set of statements look bad

I can understand why people get angry about exec bonuses. They see a big number, and think that is unreasonable since they don't make that much. Newsflash: execs don't "do nothing". They are the driving force and core of all these big companies. Sorry, engineers are a dime a dozen. People are paid what our society values them at. In our consumerist society, big execs are paid big bucks to wield big companies to get us the goodies we like. I am not saying I think this is fair or right, buts that's how it is.

You don't like it, go boycott Apple.

I wonder if any of it is going to trickle down the rank and file employees, who did their jobs well so that success could be attained in the first place.

I don't like these kinds of things solely because some rich jerk at the top basically gets rewarded not only for his or her own work, but for the work of everybody under them.

See where all that extra profit PER PHONE ($200-300) went every time your buy a crApple iphone? Straight to OTHER PEOPLE pockets.

LOL, suckers.

Free cell phones for life, especially when they are better than the crApple...

/looks up "innovative"
/scratches head
/looks up "innovative" in a US English dictionary
/as confused as a baby shown its first magic trick

What makes me less annoyed is that it's not bail out money. But the idea of this is stupid... the fact that they would give bonuses to people so that they can maybe do something in the future.

Unless you happen to be AAPL share holder and then you have every right to voice your approval or disapproval because it is YOUR company (regardless of however insignificant your share is).

The solution is simple for big execs. Give them NOTHING but stocks. Hard, paper, stocks. No options, no salary + stocks. Make them not only earn their monies by improving the stock value, but also make them PULL OUT THE VALUE by selling the stocks when they want to be paid. Its hard to fuck over a company when you have to give stock back to it to get your paycheck.

Make it totally off the top of my head, like 100k worth of shares at current stock value for the big execs like that guy at apple, and if he can double the stock price he walks away with over 2 mill that year, if he blows up the company he gets absolutely nothing. How can a 99% hippy complain about such compensation?

The real problem is golden parachutes and other non performance based compensation that the guys totally destroy their companies to get. Nothing for an executive should ever be non-performance based past a rather low "living wage".

They made the money...who cares what they do with it and why? If the shareholders board is ok with it, good for them.

The end.

Yeah, except that's not how businesses work. Any quick look at Apple's financial statements tells us that they had had excess cash for awhile now. Excess cash can be a problem in a business. I am not going to go into accounting 101 for everyone, you can Google it. A few points though-

a) this is a one time deal, the engineers would not be able to stay for more than a year
b) that would make next years statement look bad, because then the engineers would have to come up with something at least that profitable (they won't)
c) this move gets the stockholders off the execs backs about using the money for something. Apple is doing fine (I hate Apple, fwiw), spending cash somewhere else will just waste it and make the next set of statements look bad

I can understand why people get angry about exec bonuses. They see a big number, and think that is unreasonable since they don't make that much. Newsflash: execs don't "do nothing". They are the driving force and core of all these big companies. Sorry, engineers are a dime a dozen. People are paid what our society values them at. In our consumerist society, big execs are paid big bucks to wield big companies to get us the goodies we like. I am not saying I think this is fair or right, buts that's how it is.

I was just using the engineers as an example and I have no problem with executives getting a reasonable amount of money as a bonus for good performance, it's the amount that's disgusting. It seems to me they'd have been better off giving even half of that payday to the employees or investing it into new product development, or something along those lines. I'll say it again. A bonus for good performance is well deserved, but the amount is what I have a problem with.

Oh and I do boycott apple products. I don't own a single one and never will, but it's for a variety of other reasons. This is just one more.

The solution is simple for big execs. Give them NOTHING but stocks. Hard, paper, stocks. No options, no salary + stocks. Make them not only earn their monies by improving the stock value, but also make them PULL OUT THE VALUE by selling the stocks when they want to be paid. Its hard to fuck over a company when you have to give stock back to it to get your paycheck.

Make it totally off the top of my head, like 100k worth of shares at current stock value for the big execs like that guy at apple, and if he can double the stock price he walks away with over 2 mill that year, if he blows up the company he gets absolutely nothing. How can a 99% hippy complain about such compensation?

The real problem is golden parachutes and other non performance based compensation that the guys totally destroy their companies to get. Nothing for an executive should ever be non-performance based past a rather low "living wage".

That would be fair.

Unless you happen to be AAPL share holder and then you have every right to voice your approval or disapproval because it is YOUR company (regardless of however insignificant your share is).

They obviously seem to know what they're doing, and anyone who bought the stock would be smart to keep their mouths shut until they have reason to do otherwise.

In a sense, that's what they did. 50% of the stock won't vest until 2013 and the rest won't until 2016. Lots of incentive to keep everything tip top.

And for what it's worth, what glassdoor says the average bonus is like from Mac Geniuses to engineers. http://www.glassdoor.com/Bonuses/Apple-Bonuses-E1138.htm

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Been happy without Apple products since.. oh... forever. Nothing good has ever come from that company, bunch of asshats.

I'm thinking that this could've been put to much better use giving workers in a certain Chinese factory incentive to jump (just not to their deaths).

Back