5 Wishes for the Next Generation of Game Consoles

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure who this guy is but I have a feeling he is about to be clubbed over the head by the internet in response to this "5 wishes for the next-gen game consoles" article. I laughed pretty hard at most of this stuff but I think number four on the list got me the most:

4. Provide seamless software adaptability for players of different skill levels in the form of a common handicapping system that is used across all games. The system can take the associated handicap setting from each player, and then adjust the gameplay for that player accordingly.

My wish; make all next generation consoles purpose-built gaming computers since that's what they are trying unsuccessfully to be anyway.

Use DirectX 11, and allow generic computer, xbox, playstation, and nintendo fans to play shared titles together online.

Proprietary crap where you have to buy four different machines to play the best games out is annoying, redundant, and wasteful as heck.

Is rule number 4 him basically saying he wants it to handicap the best players down to the level of the shitty players to make the games more fair for all ?

I just want the ability to have a second screen/monitor so I can see either the map I am playing on or a score board.

I just what the next generation to hurry up with DX11 capabilities so that the console ports to PC are less disappointing in the way of graphics. This does nothing for gameplay, however.

My wish = consoles quit hobbling PC development. kthnx!

+1

this guy must just suck. What I'd like to see is a cross platform game where pc keyboard/mouse users get to play against consoles. It'd be so much fun for the PC gamer......not so much for the console user. Since in FPS type games and many others they'd be absolutely destroyed every time they played online.

Well, I had to laugh out loud at number 2. I think it's OK for a redesigned system -- like PS3 Slim -- to forget backwards compatibility, but a brand new system needs it.

1. Not everyone has a decent enough connection for streaming. ISPs like capping bandwidth usage. Requiring streaming would suck.

2. Honestly, I agree with this if it only refers to holding up development of hardware and the software required, or jacks the cost up. My ps2 didn't magically disappear when I bought my ps3. Even if it did, I could have picked up a ps2 for under $100, and I certainly would have appreciated paying less for the ps3. I've never used backwards compatibility in any console. Sony yanked ps2 support on the ps3, MS quit updating for backwards compatibility, and even Nintendo launched a new revision of the Wii without backwards compatibility support. It's pretty obvious that it causes headaches for these companies otherwise they wouldn't take the time to bother removing it(and the outrage that happens every time is a vocal minority).

3. Ummm.. whatever.

4. This guy is on crack.

5. This is the only thing I completely agree with. Consoles have had add-ons since as far back as I can remember. I had a bunch of extra crap for my Atari 2600 that was used by maybe a total of 4 games. The NES, Master system, SNES, Genesis, n64, ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, xbox 360, gamecube, etc. have all had miscellaneous BS addons(mostly a lot of light guns) and every time there is limited support for the peripherals.

The points in layman's terms:
1. Let's make sure we can't resell any games and put other companies out of business!
2. I don't want any of my old games to work on new systems. (Yeah right! Sony took SO much flak for this with the PS3. No other company is going to make this mistake again!)
3. I want to be able to pwn my console friends because my computer plays the game much better, allows mods, and allows me to alter my controls to a configuration that allows me to respond faster than their analog sticks.
4. Ok, so I want to pwn my friends, but I'm just not good at it. Can you help me out? It's not fair that my friends are better than me!
5. Stop advertising to me! I don't want to use a guitar when playing Guitar Hero! I don't want to use a Kinect... even... though... I'm not... forced to. Just stop it!

How about mouse and keyboard support? Everything has a USB port now, so I presume they will have USB in the future. I would love to type my name into the game instead of the current dashboard keyboard. I would also love to have a mouse because mouse and keyboard is superior to handheld controllers in FPS. Even If I was locked into using a controller for game-play, let me use a mouse in the menus.

My wish is that nvidia/intel/amd/microsoft got together and made a bootable computer OS that is similar to the setup of the current XBOX360. Hardware would have to meet certain standards to be able to work with it. Game makers could create engines that automatically scale (similar to what id did with Rage but one that actually works - best option for the mass audience) and/or have user selectable options. Compatibility with some games for Windows mobile.

That article is ripe with fail by design.

And he's a director of technology?

Well, I had to laugh out loud at number 2. I think it's OK for a redesigned system -- like PS3 Slim -- to forget backwards compatibility, but a brand new system needs it.

Not really, unless you didn't own that previous console. The PS3 has been around for, what, five years now? I still own a PS2. So do many of my friends, especially the ones who didn't buy a PS3 until it dropped below $300 halfway through it's life cycle. Not everyone chucked their old console the instant a new one appeared on the market. I see backwards compatibility for consoles as more of an irrational want of the minority rather than a necessity of the majority.

Plus, if you move onto a new hardware architecture (e.g.: Emotion to Cell), you have to make room for both of them to coexist on the same PCB, or they have to exist on the same die. That's expensive to make, meaning it's more expensive for consumers and uptake is slower.

This is a joke, right? Everything he said; I wasn't sure if I was to laugh or be ripping pissed off. The only thing I could even 'remotely' agree with was #5.

How about mouse and keyboard support? Everything has a USB port now, so I presume they will have USB in the future. I would love to type my name into the game instead of the current dashboard keyboard. I would also love to have a mouse because mouse and keyboard is superior to handheld controllers in FPS. Even If I was locked into using a controller for game-play, let me use a mouse in the menus.

Just imagine the handicap you'd have if you 'could' use a mouse and keyboard on a console for play. Have you seen some of these fools trying to snipe a moving target in BF3 on Xbox? It's hilarious. :p

The points in layman's terms:
1. Let's make sure we can't resell any games and put other companies out of business!
2. I don't want any of my old games to work on new systems. (Yeah right! Sony took SO much flak for this with the PS3. No other company is going to make this mistake again!)
3. I want to be able to pwn my console friends because my computer plays the game much better, allows mods, and allows me to alter my controls to a configuration that allows me to respond faster than their analog sticks.
4. Ok, so I want to pwn my friends, but I'm just not good at it. Can you help me out? It's not fair that my friends are better than me!
5. Stop advertising to me! I don't want to use a guitar when playing Guitar Hero! I don't want to use a Kinect... even... though... I'm not... forced to. Just stop it!

Try this:

1. Lets make sure we can earn money back on big budget games by nixing the need for a box and a disc and all the costs that go along with it (shipping, printing, disc pressing, etc.). A download will also likely be the latest version of the game, instead of bringing a disc home to only find you have to spend an hour installing software patches.
2. You still own your old gaming system right? I do. So do most people I know who didn't buy a new system the instant it was available. Backwards compatibility is expensive to manufacture, by the way. A PS3 is cheap now because it doesn't support an old architecture anymore.
3. I want to have a new level of interactivity. I want to watch a football game, and then play out the game if I were coach, quarterback, and receiver. That would be cool.
4. Parents want to play games with their kids, and they want the option of having a level playing field so it's fun for everyone. If you're an adult who plays once a week, you're at a disadvantage against someone who plays once a day.
5. Stop selling me gimmicks that don't last, and stop selling games that are poor at taking advantage of that one gimmick.

Missing and arm or leg or brain is a handicap... sucking at video games is not. Instead of a handicap, why don't you just practice or better yet, find something more constructive to do?

My wish is that nvidia/intel/amd/microsoft got together and made a bootable computer OS that is similar to the setup of the current XBOX360. Hardware would have to meet certain standards to be able to work with it. Game makers could create engines that automatically scale (similar to what id did with Rage but one that actually works - best option for the mass audience) and/or have user selectable options. Compatibility with some games for Windows mobile.

Hells Yah! Been saying this for years but most people don't understand why:confused:

Now if only we can get 3 more people the list will be up to like 10...woooo

I have to say that I agree with him on quite a few points.

1. Completely agree, however since they are probably going to continue with disks for at least one more generation enough of this streaming crap. Put decent 7200 RPM hard drives in the consoles and lets start installing at least the majority of the game.

2. Couldn't agree more. Backwards compatibility is nice, but at this point it is going to be too expensive to maintain. With the PS2 and Wii it was relatively easy because the PS2 included the CPU from the original PS, and the Wii was nothing but an overclocked Gamecube. With the PS3 and 360 it was much more difficult, which is why it was ultimately abandoned, and unless the architectures stay the same in the next generation of consoles I don't see BC being an option. Emulating the Cell and Xenon PowerPC cpu's is going to require more power than they will have the option of including. I could see the GPU's working out if Sony continues to use NVIDIA GPU's and the same for Microsoft and AMD. However, it is rumored that AMD will be providing the GPU's for both MS and Sony.

3. Meh.

4. This guy is a freaking idiot.

5. Completely agree.

I don't think this person understand the difference between hardware and software, Console ability and game features.

... this is what I can come up with while I need get ready to get out of work.

1. More than one display, yeah I'll take that, especially for when you do have time to play but didn't bring your system. At least get rid of 2 player split screen when you can and use it for something else.

2. Steam, don't get rid of disc play back but for the love of all things holy support a good and wide number of streaming formats. Don't make me bring my own server to the mix too! Read a CIFS share for goodness sake! Do support online stuff but SUPPORT WHATS IN MY HOUSE! Short rant here, hand helds this goes for you too, My PSP would actually be used to day if I could stream the videos in my house and music to it, it still has a larger screen than my phone and weighs a lot less or just has a better grip, but I'd need some device that never took off to use it or to hack it and last time I checked they had some streaming.

3. Bring your own storage; I'm looking at you MS. Whats the problem if you are going to format and encrypt or just obscurificate my drive anyway why not let me bring the drive I want? Yeah you let me cache the disc data to the drive but its encrypted to that system! While we are at it, lets give the user account a secrete token and encrypt it to that ID instead.

4. Core saves in the cloud. Going back to that multi-monitor. If you didn't bring your system you probably didn't bring your saves. If you are playing a leveling game you probably want your stats, this should be a tiny tiny save, put this in the cloud! Heck I can send a video of my pet doing... nothing for free on a free email service and you'll store that for millions of people... for free. Once again more directed at MS but Sony could do so too. Oh and account pull downs shouldn't take for ever, I don't see why they can't be split into just signing in, getting some of your data local, full duplication.

5. Tell developers to sodd off. If I pay for the hardware, I pay for the game and I pay to play online (when did this become cool?) I DO NOT, want to make a second account for developers, no matter how easy it is, later they pull the rug because they feel like it. While you are at it host at least some of the games why don't you, weed out some more cheaters too. Sheesh what am I paying for? (yes this has noting to do with hardware, but it would be the right time to redo publishing agreements and such)

Bonus: You know besides you and the third parties making fun games, make sure you've got your consumer production systems all hashed out before you sell them. I don't want to come home burning silicon, alarms and RMAs when all I want to do is destroy some NPCs

Not really, unless you didn't own that previous console. The PS3 has been around for, what, five years now? I still own a PS2. So do many of my friends, especially the ones who didn't buy a PS3 until it dropped below $300 halfway through it's life cycle. Not everyone chucked their old console the instant a new one appeared on the market. I see backwards compatibility for consoles as more of an irrational want of the minority rather than a necessity of the majority.

Plus, if you move onto a new hardware architecture (e.g.: Emotion to Cell), you have to make room for both of them to coexist on the same PCB, or they have to exist on the same die. That's expensive to make, meaning it's more expensive for consumers and uptake is slower.

Exactly. The SNES, N64, and Gamecube didn't have backwards compatibility. They didn't need it. If a manufacturer wants to do a virtual console or HD remakes that's cool, but even if you ignore the hardware mess on the ps3, MS was having to do individual updates per game for backwards compatibility. What sense does that make? You've got people spending time getting games(that they aren't making money on) to run on the new console. That cuts into time and money, causing costs to go up.

Back to the PS3, the two things that caused it to cost so much were the blu-ray drive, and the emotion engine onboard. I bet 90% of ps3 buyers(probably more) didn't bother messing with backwards compatibility for more than a couple of hours. Sony probably has a very good idea of just what those usage statistics actually are, and they made the obvious decision to cut support for it and drop the cost of the system.

Again, would you rather buy a $650 PS3 that can play PS2 games, or a $300 PS3 and an old $100 PS2 to play PS2 games?

While he's at it, he should wish that the consoles and games were given out for free. :D

I'd say he is another jack ass in a suit that don't know jack shit.

1. I hate the idea of being forced to have my console connected to the internet to play single player games( that goes for the PC also)
2. I prefer backwards compatiblilty. My original PS died and was nice being able to get a PS2 to keep playing my games but doesn't really matter either way to me.
3. Some random idea that is just stupid let me replay a game I watched on TV that evenif I did everything the way they did in the game would turn out different. Fucking retard
4. waah I suck at gaming please make it fair. says it all and where he is coming from on all the other points AKA he's just a suit
5. Some games are better with those extra things some aren't, I think most gamers know what they are getting when they buy something and if they don't want to danace around doing retarded shit won't buy the game that makes them do that retarded shit.

. Fully embrace a streaming system.
LULZ this guy is insane or a clueless consle noob that don't know jack.

1 streaming the game sucks balls since I don't think any server system in existance could keep up to stream that much game data to that many people. ever played second life it does that and it sucks balls. I not seeing any tech coding wizards solving this problem anytime soon. Oh and second life looks like crap because it streams data and they have to compress the hell out of everything and you still have to wait for everything to show up as you play it the game objects just pop up.

2. With the Huge texture and data sizes of games now WHY the fuck stream it to the fucking console every time? Bandwidth cost money it is not free downloading the same data over and over again is a waste.

A unified console would be great. Let the companies focus more on thier shitty games if there is only one platform. Be easy to then play past games through a common online store through emulation. Consoles need to be more jack of all trades, IE; PC like, to have any relevance in the coming world of broad range entertainment. Users would embrace them more if they were all the same and could do what the pc does, minus the productivity side, and if all the same, people would know exactly what to expect and how to use them. No having to learn multiple platforms. Companies would then be judged on how many games they sell, not a useless "install base".

With that being a pipe dream, I'd like to at least see upgradable consoles where you can change the memory at least. The n64 was the last one to do that iirc.

Wish #1:

Get rid of the console altogether.
Make games for a platform that has power, and can be used to perform other tasks.

Make the games scale to the power of the individual platform rather than the other way around.

flush all the idiots that think the game should dumb down to the worst player so he/she is the only one who enjoys playing.

Console gone, no worries about backward compatability.

woah......I just woke up......:eek:

I agree with his #2 point. Screw this making everything backward compatible, if you have PS3 games then fine, keep your PS3 hooked up, while the rest of us enjoy our PS4 systems without having to pay extra whether it's $1 worth of man hours programming an emulator, or being stuck with old hardware just to be backward compatible. You having a neat entertainment area should not be a problem of console developers.

4. Provide seamless software adaptability for players of different skill levels in the form of a common handicapping system that is used across all games. The system can take the associated handicap setting from each player, and then adjust the gameplay for that player accordingly.
Hell my first console system had this, the Atari 2600, there was a switch in the back you could flick on for each player to change the handicap/difficulty level :D

EA is sort of doing this already with Madden...with its Madden Moments live. It isnt real time but its pretty sweet.

and

I will totally take this guy's ideas as gospel once I saw his experience with "You don't know jack" /s

God what a complete tool, that article is so terrible it makes me wonder who paid him off.

Points 1-4 are just outright garbage. Point 5 is the only valid one.

4. This guy is on crack.

5. ... my Atari 2600 that was ,,.

There have been a lot of attacks on the idea of a handicapping system, but this takes the cake. Claiming to own a 2600? Never noticed that the console had about 10 switches on it , two of them dedicated to handicapping? Fail.

The amount of hate generated toward a "geek dad" (yes, that is the name of the site) that might want to play with his kids is impressive. Or perhaps you have already learned to use Roger Fox's strategy of only playing with your geek son when he needs mom's gaming rules vetoed.

My wish = consoles quit hobbling PC development. kthnx!

+2. Show us a glimpse of the future through PC-first titles, not whine about piracy or crappy sales. Release something other than a half-baked port and you won't have that problem.

1. Fully embrace a streaming system.
Not going to happen. Consoles may have hard drives, but games take a lot of space, and those overpriced hard drives are not big enough to hold all the games people want. Lets not forget about used games for low prices. We'd lose that as customers.

PC on the other hand has more HD space then you could shack a stick at, and it won't cost you an arm or a leg to upgrade it.
2. Don’t bother with backward compatibility.
Yea cause why bother with backwards compatibility when you can have customers buy new games. Especially if your console system ships with a pitiful selection of games, like 3DS.

On the other hand PC gaming has no compatibility issues. Hell, give it time and someone will have a working PS3 or Xbox 360 emulator for it.
3. Provide for smart connections between the digital game content and the physical world.
Cause I want my gaming world to be combined with the real world. Bet lots of people would like to know about my level 85 Paladin. BTW isn't this more to do with software then hardware?

4. Provide seamless software adaptability for players of different skill levels in the form of a common handicapping system that is used across all games.
Again a software feature, and a bad one at that. Do we really need to give out handicaps for gamers so they don't feel bad, cause they really are bad?

5. Don’t force the use of add-on technology.
Yet he makes no mention of the Kinect, but does so indirectly.

I don't know who this moron is but please keep him away from video games. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

There have been a lot of attacks on the idea of a handicapping system, but this takes the cake. Claiming to own a 2600? Never noticed that the console had about 10 switches on it , two of them dedicated to handicapping? Fail.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot all about the online multiplayer games that the 2600 had with support for the difficultly switches, oh wait...

Back