Security System Virtually Rips Files in Half

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is either a great idea or the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I'm not sure which one it is just yet.

Worried about the security and privacy of your files? Nan Zhang, a researcher from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, believes he has the solution to your problem. His system called the Cloud Shredder virtually rips documents in two so that half resides in your computer, while the other half is stored in the cloud.

Good, because having one point of failure isn't enough for me. I like to live on the edge.

Twice the attack surface, two points of failure and no redundancy. No thanks...

At least if something fails you can recover half your data. :D:D

Chinese security researcher.... Sounds trust worthy! Here are all my important documents!

This is stupid; the same thing can be achieved by just storing half the one time key on either location without having the move half the data elsewhere.

This is stupid; the same thing can be achieved by just storing half the one time key on either location without having the move half the data elsewhere.

If I'm reading this right the encrypted files halves themselves are the key. Given that, it should be next to impossible to reconstruct any of the file data using brute force decryption if possessing only 1 part.

The point here is not the backup of the data, but the ability to render the data useless if 1 part falls into the wrong hands.

If mobile stolen, wipe the cloud, then restore from offline backup.
If cloud compromised, wipe mobile, then restore from offline backup.
If both are hacked/stolen, well then you should hire better security. :D

anyone else read this as "rips FLIES in half"? I was going wtf for a min.

Wouldn't virtually cross-cut shredding one's files be more secure?

;)

Yes, but then the DoD would look for someone to put them back together. At yours, and mine expense.

Back