We Are All Going To Die!

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to NASA, an asteroid the size of an aircraft carrier will be passing close to Earth in the next few days. The space agency says everything is going to be okay, but do you really think they would tell us if it was going to crash into us? Everyone panic!!!

Of course they would tell us. Make the government realize their stupidity in stopping their funding!

Sides, death date is 2037. Supposedly a huge ass asteroid will be around us then.

Y'know... looking at that animation, it would still be categorically bad for life on Earth if that asteroid hit the moon.

Just sayin'...

Of course they would tell us. Make the government realize their stupidity in stopping their funding!

Sides, death date is 2037. Supposedly a huge ass asteroid will be around us then.

Hmm, looks like a 1-in-6,250 chance for that one.

*shrug*

If it hits, then it hits... and... that will be that.

Somebody quick, call Bruce Willis!

Bruce Willis?? HAAAA PLZZZZZZZ!! Here's the man for the job..

600570main_2096_946-710.jpg

Did anyone else get the mental image of muppets running around screaming and flailing their little muppet arms? Or was that just me?

a few thoughts.

What would happen if it hit the Moon? look awesome, make a new giant crater, fling junk into space that results in the most spectacular meteor shower anyone has ever seen? I don't think it's large enough to affect the moons orbit an any measurable way.

If they can't even figure out where a satellite is going to land, I do not have much faith in whether or not they can call the ball on an asteroid hitting us.

anyone have a site that calculated potential damage of an impact?

that is a pretty cool idea for a site, put in the size of the object and where you want it to hit, then it shows on google maps.

kinda morbid I guess.

Excuse my ignorance, but in that animation, it travels in a straight line. Wouldn't the Earth's gravity cause it to arc a bit and aim closer to the moon? Not by much, I know, because of the speed of the thing, but enough to make a difference?

Excuse my ignorance, but in that animation, it travels in a straight line. Wouldn't the Earth's gravity cause it to arc a bit and aim closer to the moon? Not by much, I know, because of the speed of the thing, but enough to make a difference?
The arch is huge, and a small fragment will look like a straight line I am guessing.

The arch is huge, and a small fragment will look like a straight line I am guessing.

Ah, so it's such a small shift, that it is affected, but would change course over a larger scale. Ah, gotcha. Figured it would be more of a shift. Although, now it's headed towards a different planet. See ya on the flipside, aircraft carrier asteroid.

Tucks, medicated pads for those really big asteroids.

If they can't even figure out where a satellite is going to land, I do not have much faith in whether or not they can call the ball on an asteroid hitting us.

That's like saying because your mom can't perform micro-surgery, you don't have faith in her ability to make breakfast. This is actually magnitudes easier and they have a fairly good track record.

Dear Lords of the Universe,

Could you make a smaller version PLEASE lock on target and take out Lindsey Lohan?

TIA,
Citizens of Earth

Dear Lords of the Universe,

Could you make a smaller version PLEASE lock on target and take out Lindsey Lohan?

TIA,
Citizens of Earth

PS, if you take out all of California as a consequence, it's ok, we don't mind too much.

That's like saying because your mom can't perform micro-surgery, you don't have faith in her ability to make breakfast. This is actually magnitudes easier and they have a fairly good track record.

One of the major differences is the satellites when they 'come down' do so by losing altitude to the point when they enter the upper atmosphere.

The effect of atmosphere drag on slowing down the randomly-shaped satellites varying degrees is what leads to such wild variation in estimates for where they will hit. Atmosphere drag on uneven shapes (especially when you don't actually KNOW the exact shape any more do to micrometeorite impacts...or the angle it enters the atmosphere at...or the nature and 'weather' of the atmosphere at that height, etc) is very difficult to predict.

Asteroids zipping around the solar system with gravity the only factor in their position and movement are MUCH easier to plot courses for.

http://www.thinkhero.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/space_cruiser_yamato.
jpg

Am I the only one? :p

Y'know... looking at that animation, it would still be categorically bad for life on Earth if that asteroid hit the moon.

Just sayin'...

LOL, I was going to say the same thing!

in astrological terms an aircraft carrier is tiny.

I don't know much about astrology, but in astronomical terms the earth is tiny.

That would make a big crater or tsunami if it hit earth. The energy would be like a big nuclear bomb going off.

I don't know much about astrology, but in astronomical terms the earth is tiny.

That would make a big crater or tsunami if it hit earth. The energy would be like a big nuclear bomb going off.
400 meter size is not that much, well if it would hit some city ok, the result would be catastrophic but if it would fell into ocean or desert it wouldn't do much of a hassle I guess.

Just hope it doesn't hit. Its a global killer. The only living matter left would be bacteria.

From that .gif image, that asteroid looks like it is flying fast as shit. I know its tiny as crap compared to the planet but If it were to ever hit earth or the moon I think a bit more then a crater would happen. Probably a pretty huge cloud of dust get blown into the atmosphere from the impact and change global climate.
Most likely too small to royally fuck up the moons orbit if it hit that, but im sure it would be altered a bit.

Back