NBA Fines Heat Owner $500k For Twitter Comments

HardOCP News

[H] News
A $500,000 for discussing the league lockout on Twitter? Ouch! I blame the Twitter machine and the intartubes! Seriously, this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for technology and social media. ;)

Arison sent out a series of tweets from his verified account following the latest breakdown in talks between owners and players. Owners and league executives are under a strict mandate not to discuss the lockout and Arison appeared to violate it several times.

learn the follow the rule and communicate within. He cant even follow the simple rule. how will they going to resolve lockout with guys like him.

Basketball is fading as spectator sport just as baseball did. Both the players and owners are dangerously close to more and more of the country realizing they don't a crap what happens to their league.

Basketball is fading as spectator sport just as baseball did. Both the players and owners are dangerously close to more and more of the country realizing they don't a crap what happens to their league.

People play basketball?

I know literally one guy who is sad that the season hasn't started, and that's because he's a Bulls fan. Then again, I don't really talk with many people who are really into basketball. Unless it's college ball.

Speak for yourself. People still watch baseball.

I really enjoyed the baseball playoffs this year - good games and a number of great series.

Now I agree the NBA is fading for me but everyone I know seems to take March Madness off work so perhaps college b-ball is still alive and well

f**k the NBA. Bunch of greedy bastards can suck a dick as far as im concerned.

Didn't Bill Gates recently say that a fine of $500,000 for a billionaire was just butt wiping money? I think he did!

bill-gates-money.jpg

If it isn't lawnmower racing, I ain't interested :p

On a different note, kinda amusing that the NBA is so broke the fine is only 500k

As far as I know the tweets just "looks like" talking about the lockout, but can actually mean many things.

"You're barking at the wrong owner" as a response to some tweet discussing the lockout which mentions you apparently construes as "discussing the lockout."

f**k the NBA. Bunch of greedy bastards can suck a dick as far as im concerned.
Baseball players are far more overpaid than NBA players. The amount an overweight out of shape man can get paid to play a brainless game (baseball) is astonishing.

Dont get me wrong baseball is great fun but so is badminton and pictionary.

American football is a toss up as no matter where you go everyone loves it and the players destroy their bodies during a career.

"NBA Fines Heat Owner $500k For Twitter Comments"
Stupid Is as stupid does. Were you told not to discuss this....
I was not aware the season has not started, that to me Is news, and I'm In Detroit right now....

Yeah, break the rules, pay the price. Not a hard concept to understand, except for Arison apparently. Oh well.

Better then the dinky fines the NFL hands out. If you're going to fine someone at least make it count. 10k is chump change to an athlete/owner.

Baseball players are far more overpaid than NBA players. The amount an overweight out of shape man can get paid to play a brainless game (baseball) is astonishing.

American football is a toss up as no matter where you go everyone loves it and the players destroy their bodies during a career.

Plus American football is only 16 games - there is a huge amount riding on every game. I think baseball and basketball have something like 3,000 games per season, so who gives a damn about any individual game. ;)

Im a NBA fan but Im actually doing just fine with no basketball, atleast for now. While I enjoy watching my team to play it actually takes a time consuming commitment to catch those 82 games. Without having to watch my team play thats about 3 nights a week where I'm not tied to a tv screen for 2 hours, allowing me to get out more and other things.

learn the follow the rule and communicate within. He cant even follow the simple rule. how will they going to resolve lockout with guys like him.

ummm, seeing as how he has enough money to own the Miami Heat, I'm pretty sure he was aware of the rule and simply chose to accept that they would fine him.

also, he has a net worth of 4.2 billion. the mean net worth for an American is ~$500,000

(4.2B/.5M) x $500,000 = $59

tl;dr: this fine is equivalent to giving the average american a $59 fine.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/micky-arison/

Better then the dinky fines the NFL hands out. If you're going to fine someone at least make it count. 10k is chump change to an athlete/owner.

NBA players make significantly more than NFL players and have much longer careers.

BRAINLESS?!?! You've obviously never played the game at a competitive level that's for sure.

The point is outside of the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees and Orioles the rest of the country couldn't give a shit about baseball. This years WS had the lowest ratings of any world series. A new Family Guy probably has high ratings.

This is similar to the same reason why Rutgers will stay all alone in the Big East while Louisville will join the Big 12.

TV markets. Not you think about basketball and I don't think anyone cares.

As far as baseball athletes go they are expected to play 100 game seasons. Not saying basketball players aren't and yes basketball is more physical of a sport, but NFL players have far shorter careers.

^^^ Did you really include the Orioles in the esteemed list?

I was just throwing out east coast teams, basically outside of a few states people care less about baseball/basketball. The same cant be said for the NFL.

I agree with roaf, he's pretty spot on with that team list saying. Nobody seems to talk about Baseball anymore... and I used to play tons as a kid. Compared to the 90s baseball crowds, its dying big time....

Basketball too... Football as well, but not as bad as basketball and certainly not as bad as baseball. We are getting a new stadium and the fans are thinking "we don't even go to the games now because the team sucks so bad.. why are you making a new stadium?"

ummm, seeing as how he has enough money to own the Miami Heat, I'm pretty sure he was aware of the rule and simply chose to accept that they would fine him.

also, he has a net worth of 4.2 billion. the mean net worth for an American is ~$500,000

(4.2B/.5M) x $500,000 = $59

tl;dr: this fine is equivalent to giving the average american a $59 fine.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/micky-arison/

perhaps we should work on your math skills

4.2b or 4,200,000,000 / .5m or 500,000 x 500,000 is going to equal 4.2b

Those first 5 games look pretty low to me.

It is low, but not the lowest. The reason why the markets are the way they are is the perennially good ball clubs in those markets. Have Texas be good for 5-10 years straight and its viewership will go up. However, this won't happen because good talent gets purchased.

It is low, but not the lowest. The reason why the markets are the way they are is the perennially good ball clubs in those markets. Have Texas be good for 5-10 years straight and its viewership will go up. However, this won't happen because good talent gets purchased.

Plenty of college football teams are bad and their viewing market share is still good. Examples:

Nebraska/Iowa.

Plenty of college football teams are bad and their viewing market share is still good. Examples:

Nebraska/Iowa.

There is nothing else in Iowa and Nebraska used to be a powerhouse and they have national viewers. Notre Dame is also currently not good and they are on national TV every Saturday.

There is nothing else in Iowa and Nebraska used to be a powerhouse and they have national viewers. Notre Dame is also currently not good and they are on national TV every Saturday.

I understand your counter about nothing in Iowa/Nebraska, but it still does not refute my point about those teams having not won a conference title/national title game in years and yet having a strong TV market.

Likewise what makes you think if Texas won the next 5 World Series people would start caring? My point is they wouldn't.

I understand your counter about nothing in Iowa/Nebraska, but it still does not refute my point about those teams having not won a conference title/national title game in years and yet having a strong TV market.

Likewise what makes you think if Texas won the next 5 World Series people would start caring? My point is they wouldn't.

Maybe people in other states, no. I suspect the local market would pick up substantially. Success is huge for viewership. See pre-Bledsoe/Brady Patriots.

Back