Americans Spend About $6.8B On Halloween

HardOCP News

[H] News
I had no idea that people in the U.S. spend almost $7 billion on Halloween costumes and candy every year. Yikes! How much did you spend on Halloween stuff this year?

Even when the economy is shuffling along like a zombie, American aren't scared to spend big bucks on Halloween. A recent survey says the average person will spend $72.32 on Halloween — or about $6.8 billion nationwide.

absolutely nothing. Because I have to work as usual on Halloween.

No rest for the poor college student -_-

I spend nothing.

I re-use the same old ski-mask every year, and steal all the candy I want from the kids wandering the neighborhood.

That's money in the pocket right there.

So... splurging is okay when it involves horror & fear for a holiday?

I spent 50$ on a Taser this year..
Other than that.. No costume, no candy, no beer.. Taser will get me everything I need

Im all for it as long as the money is spent well on things like Slutty Angel, Slutty Devil, Slutty Vampire and Slutty Pirate costumes...

$50, includes costume, candy to give out and a pumpkin.

I will dress as a grown man with a short fuse.

I spend ZERO

Tonight I'm going to the bar and playing free WPT poker (yes with cards and chips) like I do every monday night.

I did yoink a pretty big bag of candy from the candy box they put out at work. I have no idea what the current level of consumer debt is in this country, but 7 billion dollars on one stupid night sure would go a long way.

The average consumer in this country has a pretty sad life if all they really live for is "the next holiday" that distracts them from their dead end job, dysfunctional family, and growing debt.

LOL! Aren't you a cheery bunch o' bastards!

As far as working on Halloween...I'll never understand why the DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN isn't a holiday (unless it falls on a Friday/Saturday).

As a kid you are tired and recovering from sugar overload.

As a young adult you are recovering from the Halloween parties and trying to hit on the chick with wings all night.

As an older adult / parent you are recovering from running the kids around the neighborhood / giving out candy / hosting Halloween parties....tracking down the one kid you lost halfway through the night.

just sayin' ;)

$10 dollar bag of candy in an old pot we don't care about on the front porch stool. The doorbell is disconnected and the candy lasts as long as it takes for the greedy little kids to take it all.

diabeetus.jpg

I'm giving out last year's candy to any kids who come to my door. I bought way too much candy 2 (maybe 3) years ago and have been giving it out since.

There will be less than 10 kids, no doubt.

I spend $0.

In the 3 years since I have bought this house, we have had 0 trick-or-treaters.

Even then.. unless I forgot, I make sure the porch light if off just to make sure nobody wants to stop buy and ask for a handout.

Just get a giant box of Tootsie rolls...

Nobody likes them, they will last for decades.

i spend 30 dollars so far for the costume, most likely i will spend a lot at the bar tonight

About $20 in candy and we make the kids costumes which always turn out way more awesome than anything you can buy at the store. This is the family favorite for Holidays. :)

2 girls witch costumes (5 years and 2 years) (@$30)
4 big bags of candy (???)
2 pumpkins ($15)

Unfortunately, the wife picked up the candy so I have no idea how much she spent, but considering she does a lot of couponing... probably between $2-$3 each for the big bags of candy so I'll be generous and say $15. So about $60.

Considering Halloween is one of the better holidays IMO (costumes, candy, creepy decorations, happy kids, etc.) and isn't as horribly commercialized as Christmas (my god, why the hell are Christmas decorations out before Halloween!!!!) I don't mind spending a little cash.

My biggest problem is the complete lack of "after Halloween" sales. After Christmas, Easter, etc. you can always find shit on sale and stock up on lights, decorations, etc. Halloween... the stores are practically empty before the day even gets here :( I really want to add to my decorations, but I refuse to pay full price!!! One of these days I probably just need to break out the woodworking tools, grab some scrap lumber from houses being built in the neighborhood (late at night of course) and start building my own cemetary and witches cauldron.

It's my birthday today. I worked. I spent $5 on halloween stuff this year.

Went to my mom's house today before the give out, yeah it looked about a couple of million worth of candy. Jesus, mom...

I bought a big box of mini chocolate bars, so maybe like, 10 bucks at most. Most of em are left, as I predicted, more for me! :D

It's the most fun holiday there is. I think Halloween is even more fun than Superb Owl Sunday, the third biggest holiday after Halloween and Christmas.

Where I live (west chicago burbs) "Official" trick or treating hours are 3pm-7pm.
I don't even get home until almost 6-6:15pm.

We just bought our house and was kind of looking forward to seeing trick or treaters, but we only got about 6 or 7 because most were done already.

I fucking hate that halloween has to have "safe hours"

My neighborhood isn't exactly kid friendly for kids to go around at night, not bad mind you... just too many god damn Asians who don't believe in Halloween... so I usually follow suit, disconnect my doorbell for the night, and call it a day. Good thing I did, only ones who rang the door bell (well you can hear the servo motors in it move) were a bunch of teenagers yelling TRICK OR TREAT at around 11pm at night... I swear I would have went after them with a machete if my doorbell was connected.

I pussed out so that I wouldn't be hungover the next day, as I got tickets to the NFL game. Man, getting old sucks, used to be I wouldn't even need to sleep between the two. :(

Halloween is fun yet, it seems to have lower in the past few years, I barely see houses decorated, what is that??

That makes sense. Figure 300 million Americans and just over $20 each. Sure, maybe only half of them may celebrate Halloween and spend $, but figure on average, $50 for those who do. So I can believe that stat.

Spent $14 on costume, worked at a party. Went home shut my lights off because I didn't have any candy to give out

Back