Samsung Dethrones Apple as Smartphone Leader

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For all of you Apple bashers out there, I bring you glad tidings: The King is dead, long live the King. The new king in this case would be Samsung, or according to what stats you prefer, Nokia. Apple has fallen behind both in overall revenue and volume sold. We’re number 3, we’re number three! That just doesn’y have the same ring to it. (no pun intended) :D

All the while, Samsung is still wrapped up in a massive legal spat with Apple and has still managed to grab the crown. Hat tip to you, Samsung.

For that quarter yes because people were holding off and waiting for the new iPhone. Since the galaxy prime is a piece of shit expect apple to be back on top next quarter

I used one of my upgrades on Sprint to buy an iPhone 4s because I can sell it on eBay for $650+. God, I love iSheep. I'll continue to suffer with my rooted SGS2.

For that quarter yes because people were holding off and waiting for the new iPhone. Since the galaxy prime is a piece of shit expect apple to be back on top next quarter

Yea it must be a piece of shit. How much hands on time have you had with that turd? :rolleyes:

For that quarter yes because people were holding off and waiting for the new iPhone. r

This.

Since the galaxy prime is a piece of shit expect apple to be back on top next quarter

This, not so much. I have a Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint. Besides some GPS issues and very delayed system updates, it's been rock solid.

I used one of my upgrades on Sprint to buy an iPhone 4s because I can sell it on eBay for $650+. God, I love iSheep. I'll continue to suffer with my rooted SGS2.

I believe the sheeps are flocking over andoid phones since you can pick them up for free.

This.

This, not so much. I have a Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint. Besides some GPS issues and very delayed system updates, it's been rock solid.

The SG2 is a better phone then the prime. Better screen, better camera, same processor. But with a 43ohm output impedence it's BEYOND a failure as a musical player.

The only thing prime has is that it'll have ICS. My girlfriend has the SG1 and had to wait 5 months to get froyo after it was "released". Fragmentation of the android system is a giant, unfunny joke

The SG2 is a better phone then the prime. Better screen, better camera, same processor. But with a 43ohm output impedence it's BEYOND a failure as a musical player.

The only thing prime has is that it'll have ICS. My girlfriend has the SG1 and had to wait 5 months to get froyo after it was "released". Fragmentation of the android system is a giant, unfunny joke

But more recently, I put this on the manufacturer and what they attempt to "add" to the Android experience. Because they add so much to the code, it takes that much more for a release to come out. The only company IMO, that has been really good with releases (that aren't vanilla) is HTC with Sense. My wife has a SG1 and I know how it was for that wait.

Samsung has excellent phones, not a real big suprise they entually came out on top. Now if only panasonic had a means to make phones.

I've been using my iPhone 4S for 2 weeks now and really like it. I prefer it over Android.

Wasn't Apple Number 1 for only ONE quarter? Between them just staying steady and Nokia's marketshare dropping like a brick, they managed number 1. But with Samsung's marketshare on a continual rise, they were bound to pass them.

So yeah, not that much of an accomplishment. Apple was barely #1 long enough for anyone to care.

Wasn't Apple Number 1 for only ONE quarter? Between them just staying steady and Nokia's marketshare dropping like a brick, they managed number 1. But with Samsung's marketshare on a continual rise, they were bound to pass them.

So yeah, not that much of an accomplishment. Apple was barely #1 long enough for anyone to care.

Apple is mainly impressive in the US, else where they are either looked over or too expensive against competition. This doesn't suprise me seeing how well samsung has their product spread around the world (like Nokia back when they were the giant).

Still rocking my rooted SG1... got it when it first launched and still works great. Will buy another Samsung once my contract comes due.

So Apple and Samsung are both in a headlock. Guess who's free here. Actually I'm a bit tied: it's either HTC or Nokia.

Apple is mainly impressive in the US, else where they are either looked over or too expensive against competition. This doesn't suprise me seeing how well samsung has their product spread around the world (like Nokia back when they were the giant).

This. Debt seems to be the standard practice in the US which isn't as prevalent outside of it. Locking in phones and subsidation is not as common everywhere else, given the choice, we prefer to pay full price for our phones free and clear. Samsung is hitting the high and low end smartphones. (BTW, iphone4 = $750.00, GS2 = $600.00 over here)

The SG2 is a better phone then the prime. Better screen, better camera, same processor.

SGS2 has a different processor, and very likely considerably better. 1.5GHz dual core Orion Exynos vs. 1.2GHz dual core OMAP4460. SGS2 is better in every aspect but screen resolution, pixel density, and of course ICS.

SGS2 has a different processor, and very likely considerably better. 1.5GHz dual core Orion Exynos vs. 1.2GHz dual core OMAP4460. SGS2 is better in every aspect but screen resolution, pixel density, and of course ICS.
I might be wrong but I think only the T-Mobile version of the SGS2 (for U.S. users) has a 1.5GHz processor, the Sprint and AT&T ones are still 1.2 I believe.

I'm assuming the SGS2 will get ICS eventually, if not right when it comes out.

I really wanted to like the SG2, and get rid of my iPhone since I felt slighted by apple not for not releasing the iPhone 5. However, 20 minutes was all I needed with android to change my mind. Love em or hate em, the fact is apple has created an amazing user experience with the iPhone and iOS. It just works, plain and simple. This is coming from a software engineer and former network admin who has absolutely no love for apple.

Where is gingerbread for my Charge... I buy your top tier omg 4g!!! phone, and get what, nothing, no support, and I get to see it on sale for $.01 four months later.

Support your phones if you want to keep me around in a year and a half when it comes to my next smart phone.

Hmm, looks like Apple is gonna have to figure out how to sue Samsung. Maybe they can patent phone calls or dial tones or something. I know, they can patent battery chargers!

I'm still wondering why in the US there are "carrier-exclusive" models?

Over here we can buy any model and can use any carrier if we buy from a Samsung/phone shop. It's only if we buy from a carrier itself that it's "locked" for use with other carriers but the models are by no means "carrier-exclusive."

I really wanted to like the SG2, and get rid of my iPhone since I felt slighted by apple not for not releasing the iPhone 5. However, 20 minutes was all I needed with android to change my mind. Love em or hate em, the fact is apple has created an amazing user experience with the iPhone and iOS. It just works, plain and simple. This is coming from a software engineer and former network admin who has absolutely no love for apple.

I have been on a windows phone for about a year. my nephew has an iphone and I was playing with it the other day, and I came away thinking it was a peice of shit.

Now, I know iOS is superior to windows phone, but I am used to it and I won't ever have an apple phone now.

I don't think either of us is in a position to make an unbiased judgement.

I'm still wondering why in the US there are "carrier-exclusive" models?

Over here we can buy any model and can use any carrier if we buy from a Samsung/phone shop. It's only if we buy from a carrier itself that it's "locked" for use with other carriers but the models are by no means "carrier-exclusive."

I don't know where you live, but here everything is for sale.

exclusive phones are selling points and money changes hands to insure exclusivity. The consumer get's fucked, stock prices go up, and return on investment for stock holders is all that matters.

I don't give a crap who's doing it, as long as someone is outselling Apple I'm happy. So sick of tech news being completely dominated by "gee I wonder what Apple's going to do next" - heck, the fact that this qualifies as news shows how ridiculous Apple's media dominance has gotten.

I don't know where you live, but here everything is for sale.

exclusive phones are selling points and money changes hands to insure exclusivity. The consumer get's fucked, stock prices go up, and return on investment for stock holders is all that matters.

Sounds like you should buy stock then.

I have alot of samsung phones honestly I do not even really like them that much HTC does better stuff. But one thing you cannot deny is that when you make your own hardware you have a really big advantage and that is what samsung has. They make nand, processors and screens the 3 most important components in a phone. And because of that they often have unique hardware advantages. This is why they are so big IMO. This is also why apple is going after them because apple knows that they have sold all their manufacturing out and are in a very bad position because of that. Dell and HP are seeing this same competition spring up from companies like Acer and ASUS want to step out of the supplier role and into the more profitable provider role. When the Chinese suppliers start stepping up one wonders if any north american firms will be left standing.

Now, I know iOS is superior to windows phone, but I am used to it and I won't ever have an apple phone now.

Don't kid yourself. Windows Phone 7 is far superior. Best UI for a touchscreen ever developed. And the SkyDrive integration is amazing. Unlimited storage for your smartphone.

Thank god Now maybe apple will go under like in the 1990's now that there evil overloard the antichrist (AKA steve jobs ) is dead and the apple hippie hipsters will go a life and stop smoking weed and buying apple crap.

Then the world can be normal again at last.

Image+%3D+steve_jobs_evil.jpg

The Captivate is a piece of garbage. Samsung at the forefront of smartphone manufacturing means nothing but bad things.

Which phone operating system is "best" is a matter of perspective. People have to accept that and get over the moaning about how "their" choice is the "right" choice for everyone. But, that'll never happen so I resign myself to reading about people declaring phone X is the best ever, bar none.

Amusingly, I like the bashing of the new ICS phones, especially the Galaxy Nexus. All the reviewers that had their eyes and hands on the thing declared their love for the beautiful screen ... right up until they found out it was a normal AMOLED, not a "Plus" version. All of a sudden this beautiful phone became a piece of "crap". What their eyes could not perceive they have no problem declaring a real problem for the phone. Genius. Really shows that they care more about specifications than they do the actual user experience.

Where is gingerbread for my Charge... I buy your top tier omg 4g!!! phone, and get what, nothing, no support, and I get to see it on sale for $.01 four months later.

Support your phones if you want to keep me around in a year and a half when it comes to my next smart phone.

Samsung does support it's customer base. It's the carriers that are slow to release updates. Samsung provides a working base Android rom. The carrier then takes that rom and adds all their network specific coding, bloatware and crap to make it the way they want.

That's what happens when you wait for the carriers to finally release something.

I had froyo on my SG1 2 days after buying it, and gingerbread a week after google released it.

I've got a samsung moment...

It's kind of shit, Samsung and Sprint stopped supporting it the moment it was released.

I've got a samsung moment...

It's kind of shit, Samsung and Sprint stopped supporting it the moment it was released.

I've never had a phone that was 'supported' by anyone. Buy a phone based on what it is THAT DAY, not on what you hope it will be next month. Prices will always be cheaper after you buy, no matter when you buy, and something better will always come along.

I learned my lesson with the Captivate. Biggest piece of garbage I have even owned.

I've never had a phone that was 'supported' by anyone. Buy a phone based on what it is THAT DAY, not on what you hope it will be next month. Prices will always be cheaper after you buy, no matter when you buy, and something better will always come along.

I dont know HTC does a pretty good job rolling updates out and fixing bugs.

Back