10 Best Scary Video Games of All Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a list of the 10 best scary video games of all time. There are a few good games here but surely we can come up with a better list than this. No Dead Space games? No Condemned? No F.E.A.R. games? What would be on your top ten list?

Ghosts, ghouls and goblins alike will be coming to your door Monday night trick or treating, earlier this week we published lists of films to enjoy between visitors, but if movies aren’t your thing, here are the top 10 horrifying video games, many of which can still be played on modern gaming consoles.

I forgot all about Zombies ate my Neighbors. I spent a lot of time playing that when I was a kid

really no fear 1? man i loved playing through that game at 1am with my sound isolating headphones on. totally immersive and when alma or whatever suddenly popped out of nowhere, or blood flashed everywhere on the screen... i got bad goosebumps from that game. second one i dont remember being scary at all and havent played the third yet.

the author of that article is an idiot, where is fear and other games, serious dead rising 2? that is more like Zombie kill alot game, where is dead island? or other Proper scary games?

really no fear 1? man i loved playing through that game at 1am with my sound isolating headphones on. totally immersive and when alma or whatever suddenly popped out of nowhere, or blood flashed everywhere on the screen... i got bad goosebumps from that game. second one i dont remember being scary at all and havent played the third yet.
amen
(have you played amnesia?)

the author of that article is an idiot, where is fear and other games, serious dead rising 2? that is more like Zombie kill alot game, where is dead island? or other Proper scary games?
dead island is laughable at being considered "scary"

I totally agree.

LOL @ House of the Dead! I'm sorry, but the cheesy-ass J-pop music playing the background just makes it... not scary.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl had some of the most nerve-racking in-doors game experiences ever.

The games posted on that list, aside from the first Resident Evil on PSOne, were not "scary" at all, not even remotely, and I played many of the older games when I was 5-7 years old.

Scary for a complete pussy mama's boy. :rolleyes:

I think he was going for best games that happen to be scary. This is clearly not a list of the top 10 scariest games.

Dead rising 2 is about as scary as plants vs zombies. Clocktower isn't really scary, and hasn't aged well...

Most of these are "arcadey" things or action games with jumping at you games which aren't really fear inducing...with the exception of silent hill and I suppose resident evil (though thats more jump moments).

I'm just going to assume they haven't really played any games...

Not sure of the order but i'd place DOOM3, Amnesia, Rei/Project zero/Fatal frame/ (ps2/xbox only :(), F.E.A.R., Brink (can't believe I own this crap) and Dead Space somewhere on that list...

amen
(have you played amnesia?)

is that dark descent or whatever? i think i have it on steam but havent played it yet. :/ i think now that im done with my dsi for a bit im going to play vampire: the masquerade and that one.

Oh god Resident Evil.
I don't do scary games, but I played this on a dare.

My experience:
-Dogs crash through the window
-Fall out of chair.
-Turn off Playstation.

is that dark descent or whatever? i think i have it on steam but havent played it yet. :/ i think now that im done with my dsi for a bit im going to play vampire: the masquerade and that one.
i thought it was pretty good, play it in a pitch black room and with headphones on. you'll enjoy the experience imo. it does play a bit different than most shoot em up scary games.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and FEAR 1 would top my list for scariest games, due to a great mixture of atmosphere and sudden shocks. Also, the gameplay of Stalker was awesome and I have yet to play a shooter with as tight and balanced gunplay as in the original FEAR.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and FEAR 1 would top my list for scariest games, due to a great mixture of atmosphere and sudden shocks. Also, the gameplay of Stalker was awesome and I have yet to play a shooter with as tight and balanced gunplay as in the original FEAR.
the gun game in stalker was horrible (stock). the complete mod fixed that imo.

the gun game in stalker was horrible (stock). the complete mod fixed that imo.

Yes, I agree. Until you get scoped weapons, vanilla Stalker sucks. I was referring to the gunplay in FEAR, in which all of the weapons felt great and I could use every weapons equally well. In fact, the basic SMG was the most useful weapon in the endgame.

This is the worst list of "scary" video games I have ever fucking seen. This writer should be fired!

System shock 2 gets my vote for scariest game played at night. I still remember that game 12 years later.

I hate to criticize people but damn man, the guy even missed recent games like Condemned 1 and Dead Space 2 and F.E.A.R. 1 & 3. :(

The Fear series wasn't scary.
Condemned was though, and certainly deserves a spot on the top ten.

Half the games that are on the list just plain aren't scary.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Left 4 Dead? Are you kidding me????

Wow that author has no idea what a scary game is.Here's my list of games that I refused to play late at night, in the dark, alone...

D (Sega Saturn) - I was younger when this came out and so its influence on me is stronger. This was simply a game I couldn't play at night alone in the dark.
Fatal Frame (PS) - Where is this game on this list. This game freaked the crap out of me. I never finished this game because it was just too intense for my blood.
Bioshock (PC) - This game had an awesome atmosphere. Easy formula here, dark room, no people, and creepy music and voices and voila, crap your pants scary.
Painkiller (PC) - This was a fun FPS to play, but the strong devilish overtones really got me freaked out sometimes at night. I could handle it in small doses, but some nights it was too much.

I don't get to play many scary games, since I have kids and usually play them at night. Makes it kind of hard to stomach them. :)

To be fair, the title wasn't 10 Scariest Video Games of All Time.

Worst. Article. Ever

Clive Barker's Undying, Splatterhouse....much "scarier" that every damn game on that list.

And if you got scared playing left 4 dead, than you are a giant pussy who is also probably afraid of your own shadow. A witch attacking you may be startling, but not scary.

Wtf is this bullshit? Is this guy serious!?

I can't even make it through the DEMO of Amnesia without wanting to cry like a sissy girl. And I don't care if you call me one. That game is fucking creepy!

Dead Space at the very least should have gotten on here. That game wasn't really scary, but there were plenty of WTF KILL IT moments for me. Or times when i'd be like "....great. another long fucking hallway and Isaac is hearing voices in his head."

System Shock 2, at the time, had me shitting bullets.

QTF

System Shock 2 is -- IMO -- the best, most intense, shooter ever made.

With a few easily found user made patches it can be played in windows xp - 7.

I truly recommend this game to everyone.

The graphics engine is a bit dated, still the story and the game design are beyond awesome.

QTF

System Shock 2 is -- IMO -- the best, most intense, shooter ever made.

With a few easily found user made patches it can be played in windows xp - 7.

I truly recommend this game to everyone.

The graphics engine is a bit dated, still the story and the game design are beyond awesome.

Amen. Easily in my top 5 games of ever.

Amnesia is easily the most creepiest / scariest game that I've ever played in my entire life. BAR NONE!

Dead Rising 2 was one of the smelliest piece of shit I've ever bought. By far the worst game in my Steam library.

Amnesia was awesome and scary, more so than most of the games on that list.

Silent Hill is probably the only deserving series on that list, and Resident Evil maybe towards the end (only because of the pop-out moments, not the content).

Silent Hill definitely had some creepy content in it that would make it more difficult to play at night. Didn't get too far in the first or second because of that :p

Gotta check out System Shock 2 after heaving the raves about it.

Back