IBM Names Its First Female CEO

HardOCP News

[H] News
IBM's current CEO is retiring at 60 and is handing over the reigns to the company's first female CEO.

Palmisano, who turned 60 this year, has been CEO for nearly a decade. He will stay on as chairman. Virginia "Ginni" Rometty, 54, is in charge of IBM's sales and marketing, and has long been whispered about by industry watchers as Palmisano's likely heir. With Rometty's appointment, effective Jan. 1, women will be in charge of two of the world's largest technology companies.

And we all know what the establishment think of that, I give her a year before she is punted out the door with a fat cheque, because they didn't have a valid reason to get rid of her.

And we all know what the establishment think of that, I give her a year before she is punted out the door with a fat cheque, because they didn't have a valid reason to get rid of her.

Her poor performance will be a valid reason to get rid of her in a year. The fat check at the exit door is part of the hiring deal.

eBay is doing well with a female CEO, as are many other companies. Gender has nothing to do with performance potential.

Well, I guess IBM has been doing too well for the last few years. Time to bring it down.

Women as successful as she probably is can be far more ruthless in the pursuit of proffits so she may be there a while.

In another breaking news announcement IBM's super computer Blue Gene has been renamed to Blue Balls :)

A woman or a minority can be a decent CEO. Token CEO's are pretty rare imho. This is Wall Street, not the NFL.

Wow, much sexism here [H] community? A female can be every bit as good as the best male CEO. They can be better than 'decent'.

Her poor performance will be a reason to let her go? Why will she have poor performance automatically?

The ones that are being sexist here need to grow up. Seriously. Grow. Up.

I would even like to call myself out for saying "every bit as good as the best male CEO"

A woman could be better, just like a man could be better. Ones gender in such matters really does not matter, except to a few backwards people.

I'm going to be sexist also, but in a different way. Women at that level have clawed their way too the top and are often more ruthless and driven business people because of it. No corporation is going to hire a token CEO. If she got the job it's because she's the most qualified and probably by a descent margin; because sexism while less prevalent still exists. A trial by fire if you will.

I would even like to call myself out for saying "every bit as good as the best male CEO"

A woman could be better, just like a man could be better. Ones gender in such matters really does not matter, except to a few backwards people.

Get real. If it didn't matter, it wouldn't be news.

And the ones who bring it up all the damn time are... drumroll... women! Seriously, most of us men don't fucking care. But no, everything has to do with gender. They're so repressed after all. (?)

They want equal rights. No problem with that. But why when it comes to obligations they throw a fit? It's not like us men live the good life. Every "right" we have comes with a ton of duties. But somehow women think it has to be different with them, it has to be "flexible". They want to earn the same thing, but work less hours. They want to be respected for what they do and what they bring to the table, but they don't care about that when they get promoted because of that oh so short skirt.

Why don't they advocate for equal retirement ages? Why don't they (here in my country) advocate for mandatory military service?

Because it sucks. It's good to have all this "equal rights" talk when you only get the good piece of the pie. Hey, we should start shouting for equal rights too!

If that long. I guess they learned nothing from HP...

Not even the same situation. She's worked for IBM since the early 80s so she should know the culture and even better not to change it. Fiorina went into HP cold and changed everything, wouldn't listen to people who said it was a mistake and to this day won't admit where she went wrong. Not to mention even with Lucent she was known to make profits by cutting everything to the bone. There's tons of reasons to hate her, but "because she's a woman" isn't one of them.

eBay is doing well with a female CEO, as are many other companies. Gender has nothing to do with performance potential.

Uhhhh, what planet are you on? eBay is shit, and is going down hill since they had their "15 minutes of fame" we have not seen or heard much of them (because there are better markets which are FREE now), or at very least, they are just keeping their head above water. Look at their crap company stock, it was highest in 2003/2004.... fell hard after that and remained low. Good riddance to them.

Amazon marketplace and craigslist is FAR better to work with, and in my experience, ebay does not give a SHIT about customers, AT ALL.

@cdr_74_premium: wtfamireading.gif, UMAD.jpg

Why, that is retarded... slapping on a label on an individual that hasn't even commented once about 'gender equality', as she takes the rein of IBM. You are pretty lacking in the association of the pitfalls in feminists' arguments to an individual's success, accusing CEO Rometty to be a feminist.

Uhhhh, what planet are you on? eBay is shit, and is going down hill since they had their "15 minutes of fame" we have not seen or heard much of them (because there are better markets which are FREE now), or at very least, they are just keeping their head above water. Look at their crap company stock, it was highest in 2003/2004.... fell hard after that and remained low. Good riddance to them.

Amazon marketplace and craigslist is FAR better to work with, and in my experience, ebay does not give a SHIT about customers, AT ALL.

DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH. Meg Whitman's tenure at eBay led it to the highest-ever market capitalization and stock value during 2004-2005. She handed the rein during 2008, and it is only after this point that the company's stock value comes to the present-day value. Keep in mind of what the financial crisis did to the entire stock market before you spew crap about macroeconomic outlook of a company based on your own anecdotal findings.

Not even the same situation. She's worked for IBM since the early 80s so she should know the culture and even better not to change it. Fiorina went into HP cold and changed everything, wouldn't listen to people who said it was a mistake and to this day won't admit where she went wrong. Not to mention even with Lucent she was known to make profits by cutting everything to the bone. There's tons of reasons to hate her, but "because she's a woman" isn't one of them.

Fair enough. I do not assume she will automatically fail "because she's a woman" UNLESS that is the reason she was given the job to begin with. I wish her the best of luck.

DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH. Meg Whitman's tenure at eBay led it to the highest-ever market capitalization and stock value during 2004-2005. She handed the rein during 2008, and it is only after this point that the company's stock value comes to the present-day value. Keep in mind of what the financial crisis did to the entire stock market before you spew crap about macroeconomic outlook of a company based on your own anecdotal findings.

Uh, this is me, using the company and getting ripped off by said company. I know more than you about eBay, because they owe me over $500, for a FACT. They are liars, and cheaters... and thats why their company took a crap, not because of Meg, she didn't really do much change to eBay if you ask me. eBay is eBay because of their FIRST 15-minutes of fame, nothing has changed since then, not 1 damn thing (which is good for them, because if nothing is broken, why fix it?). It's their bad business practices that lost them tons of customers (I am one, and you can google all these screwed over people, if you still THINK I am full of it... start here www.paypalsucks.com :) )

Did you miss 2005-2007 in there? Look at the HUGE drop (almost as bad, if not close to the same amount of loss in the 2008 "crash" you talk about) -- Meg didn't do CRAP, let's be real. Nothing has changed with ebay the ENTIRE time its been popular, not one damn thing (I had used them for well over 5+ years, so I know a little more than you seem to believe I know)

The drop of 2007 had much to do with the Skype bomb at the time and the mess of eBay Express. The 2005-2007 slump was one of the worst disappoint regarding eBay, and Meg's definitely responsible for that debacle, contrary to you suggesting her having no impact. It left her about the same as the likes of Michael Dell or Chambers at Cisco by the time she takes a back seat in the governance of eBay.

We have diverged from the topic about gender being disconnected from merits of CEO. I will stop here.

@cdr_74_premium: wtfamireading.gif, UMAD.jpg

Why, that is retarded... slapping on a label on an individual that hasn't even commented once about 'gender equality', as she takes the rein of IBM. You are pretty lacking in the association of the pitfalls in feminists' arguments to an individual's success, accusing CEO Rometty to be a feminist.

I said nothing about her in particular.

I'm talking about the reactions to gender matters. It has nothing to do with her, I wish her or anyone else in her position the best of luck.

And no, not angry at all. I'm happily married and have no issues at all with gender roles, nor do I have any kind of issue doing my "fair share" of work or whatever it's called. Me and my wife are a team, we do whatever it takes to get things done. I'm all for not making this a war per se, but when I see some people (not just women) advocating for rights, I always ask what are the obligations. I'm tired of people wanting things "just because I'm (insert something here)".

If I go out and start saying I want a sammich NAW because I'm a male, I'll be (rightfully) slapped. But if a woman does the same it's freedom.

No surprise there. Women are typically good at yard sales and flea markets, which ebay is the online equivalent of.

Wow, much sexism here [H] community? A female can be every bit as good as the best male CEO. They can be better than 'decent'.

Her poor performance will be a reason to let her go? Why will she have poor performance automatically?

The ones that are being sexist here need to grow up. Seriously. Grow. Up.

People are kidding, and we are Man. You need to grow up, stop preaching like a woman and finally MAN UP and grow a thicker skin Mr Sensitive.

If you could hear they way woman talk to each about Men pal you would be shocked.

And whiny, preachy pedophiles apparently, mature quote there buffy..

"Hamish Campbell I Like Little Boys, 5.5 Years"

That title was probably given to him by the "don't mess with Texas" small e-peen admins.

Get real. If it didn't matter, it wouldn't be news.

And the ones who bring it up all the damn time are... drumroll... women! Seriously, most of us men don't fucking care. But no, everything has to do with gender. They're so repressed after all. (?)

They want equal rights. No problem with that. But why when it comes to obligations they throw a fit? It's not like us men live the good life. Every "right" we have comes with a ton of duties. But somehow women think it has to be different with them, it has to be "flexible". They want to earn the same thing, but work less hours. They want to be respected for what they do and what they bring to the table, but they don't care about that when they get promoted because of that oh so short skirt.

Why don't they advocate for equal retirement ages? Why don't they (here in my country) advocate for mandatory military service?

Because it sucks. It's good to have all this "equal rights" talk when you only get the good piece of the pie. Hey, we should start shouting for equal rights too!

Woman here are for the most part finally starting to embrace a little thing called "true equality". They pay for there own drinks, dates, open their own doors, etc and look at guys who do these things as old fashion and kind of creepy. They cut grass, fix cars, do house repairs, lift their own groceries and work blue collar traditional men's jobs. We in turn help with the kids, housework etc, etc. It's not even an issue. We all do the same shit.

My mother was a drop dead feminist from the 70's and has a PHD in Anthropology. My Grandmother ran a farm herself and worked like a dog for 40 years so I know first hand what they think. Woman these days like real men even with all our so called flaws and bad attitude. They just want to be treated equal. Totally equal. So do it.

Ever wonder how the use of the word GENDER has substituted for the use of the word SEX when referring to the difference between men and women?

How did it get twisted?

Ever wonder how the use of the word GENDER has substituted for the use of the word SEX when referring to the difference between men and women?

How did it get twisted?

The use of words changes over time. Languages change and adapt. Get with the program.

It was a rhetorical question. And the answer is because it was part of a political agenda.

I'm gonna make sure to invest into tin-foil companies.

Gender is an adverb, Sex used to be a verb and an adverb, but people use it less and less as an adverb. Gender is a slightly more formal word as well.

In other news, several other males were appointed to prestigious CEO positions... where's the news for that? Oh just status quo.

This really stratifies the quote "If it bleeds, it leads." Ladies.

And whiny, preachy pedophiles apparently, mature quote there buffy..

"Hamish Campbell I Like Little Boys, 5.5 Years"

Look at this guy trying to make a joke. I guess we're all so very happy you can read.

That title was probably given to him by the "don't mess with Texas" small e-peen admins.

Exactly, but it was more like "don't joke about the military or texas" small e-peens. Oh well, it was a good joke.

Never said it did, but like the old song says "this is a mans world", even if they are wrong, or can't do as good a job as the lady in charge.

Never said it did, but like the old song says "this is a mans world", even if they are wrong, or can't do as good a job as the lady in charge.

There is an ex-apple CEO that has wrecked every company he has been with.
Jean-Louis Gassée.

I thought Western civilization was supposed to be past caring about what gender or skin color a person has so long as said person can do the job.

Back