Siri For Android

HardOCP News

[H] News
A group of Android developers made their own version of Siri (called Iris) in just 8 hours. The software is alpha still but you can download the app now and take it for a spin.

To see if they could take Siri down a peg, a group of Android developers tried to knock out a Siri-like app in only 8 hours and they call it Iris (that’s Siri spelled backwards). The results are apparently mixed, where in some cases it does respond to a natural language query with wit and ease and then completely drops the ball over and over. But it is a product of only 8 hours of development, so it’s only going to get better.

lol a group of android users with an apple inferiority complex... didn't see that one coming :D. Doesn't android already have a similar technology in their store?

Theres already great alternatives that have bene out for awhile and more polished too. I personally would rather use vlingo, eva, or speaktoit rather than isis until a final build is released.

lol a group of android users with an apple inferiority complex... didn't see that one coming :D. Doesn't android already have a similar technology in their store?

Or maybe they just wanna show how Apple #1 feature on the iPhone 4S is something that can be made within 8 hrs.

yes because instead of quitely ignoring the people next to you, you can shout at your phone and ignore the people next to you

It already has Google Voice, and Tap & Talk, I don't want a conversation with my phone, I have a wife and friends for that.

Similar, but not really the same. This is made to be more like Apple's where the phone talks back to you. It doesn't really work anywhere near as well though, but that's not entirely unexpected considering it's only 8 hours work. Funny thing though - I knew a guy who hated the iPhone, talked about how much he liked Android more (despite him using Apple computers at home), but the moment he heard Sprint was getting the iPhone finally his entire tune changed from 'The iPhone sucks, I don't really want it anyway' to 'I'm getting that!'

Somehow read this as:
Shit for Android

Still believe I read that correctly now that I see what it actually is.

8 hours would be amazing if it was a fully functioning program and not just an alpha build.

Rivalries have always existed, whenever someone would come out with something someother inventeor would come out with something a little different. westinghouse vs edison. edison purposefully killed someone to prove that his product was better than his competition. Until one developer creates an app that gets the other developers phone to kill it's user then we will know who has the better phone

This is completely retarded. Naming it something like Iris is even worse than naming some random word no one has ever heard. The engine that it uses can't even do simple math. Unless you live in a world where 12 + 3 = 144. The only thing this tells me is to not use :True Knowledge" as it can't do math and it thinks that the conversion to a UK pound to a US dollar is a bird.

careful, Jobs is going to go thermonuclear on them.

Doesn't seem to work on my Touchpad. says no Voice Input. :(

This is completely retarded. Naming it something like Iris is even worse than naming some random word no one has ever heard. The engine that it uses can't even do simple math. Unless you live in a world where 12 + 3 = 144. The only thing this tells me is to not use :True Knowledge" as it can't do math and it thinks that the conversion to a UK pound to a US dollar is a bird.

I asked it "what is 12 + 3" and it responded "I prefer 42"

LOL

What is the difference between siri and the voice commanding available in WP7?

Also what is the difference between siri and say vlingo besides the fact it does not come stock on an android phone?

Why is it retarded it sounds very much like a marketing move. See most phones already had voice commands to that would allow you to operate them even my TP2 running windows mobile did. But right now apple is advertising siri like crazy and most ignorant consumers think this is the first time that voice commands have ever been on phones. Of course that is ignorant given I could operate a texting phone like my razer in this way 10 years ago. But the fact is there is alot of buzz so you can get massive amounts of interest playing off that buzz which is what this group is doing.

What is the difference between siri and the voice commanding available in WP7?

Also what is the difference between siri and say vlingo besides the fact it does not come stock on an android phone?

Siri speaks back to you whereas vlingo doesn't, but i've already said eva and speaktoit are decent alternatives as well

I don't get it, what's the big deal? Isn't Siri just getting Apple up to speed with WP7 and Google Voice?

On my Captivate a whole lot of what I do with my phone is unlock it, long press the search button and tell it what I want it to do. I'd guess that an updated Google Voice is coming, soon, with text to voice so that it can read back to you what it now displays on the screen. I just hope it gets a better voice than Google Navigate has. Ug, it's like voice synthesis from the 80's.

Apple just caught up and slightly passed where MS and Google have been. The race continues...

Why is it retarded it sounds very much like a marketing move. See most phones already had voice commands to that would allow you to operate them even my TP2 running windows mobile did. But right now apple is advertising siri like crazy and most ignorant consumers think this is the first time that voice commands have ever been on phones. Of course that is ignorant given I could operate a texting phone like my razer in this way 10 years ago. But the fact is there is alot of buzz so you can get massive amounts of interest playing off that buzz which is what this group is doing.

This is just a very poor attempt to say "I can do that too." If it's a marketing ploy then it automatically fails. Why would anyone call a voice realted application with a word that is known for sight?

Siri isn't about issuing voice commands to a device, it's about getting the device to understand that way you talk. So instead of learning ways to bark orders at it, it will learn what you are asking it to do.

Siri isn't about issuing voice commands to a device, it's about getting the device to understand that way you talk. So instead of learning ways to bark orders at it, it will learn what you are asking it to do.
not much use fighting this meme about ignorant iPhone users on this board no matter how little the people posting those comments appear to know about the iPhone capabilities.

It's nearly as humorous as everyone piping in about how this has been on Android forever when in fact those of us with android phones asked where...and now this app comes out apparently because it's not *in fact* already on android.

not much use fighting this meme about ignorant iPhone users on this board no matter how little the people posting those comments appear to know about the iPhone capabilities.

It's nearly as humorous as everyone piping in about how this has been on Android forever when in fact those of us with android phones asked where...and now this app comes out apparently because it's not *in fact* already on android.

Vlingo is not an Android app but a third party app that's available on iPhones, Blackberries, WM7, and Android.

It doesn't do half the things Siri can do.

This is just a very poor attempt to say "I can do that too." If it's a marketing ploy then it automatically fails. Why would anyone call a voice realted application with a word that is known for sight?

Because it plays off of siri. If it is so fail then why are we talking about it here? Oh wait because they were right it worked here we all are discussing it and getting their product into the lime light. If Apple had not released siri and called it that no one would be talking about this product or news. In fact the 8 hour comment was also about marketing, why would we care about this product if they said we have been working on it for 1 year.

Also all computers voice commands were always about getting the computer to understand the way we talk. And since 10 years ago on my razr it has steadily been doing a better and better job of that regardless of platform. Apple just released catching them up to where they were so far behind. And naturally if they just released they should be ahead in some areas shouldnt they would they release something that left them behind in all areas? So next up M$ and google will add more functionality. What is more amazing is how many people had no clue until apple released that their WP7 or Android device could do alot of this. Once again it is all about the marketing we never saw M$ or Google put out commercials about voice recognition.

This goes to show just how lame siri is it's just fuckign software that can run on fucking anything even toasters and everybody has been doing this speech bot type software for years.

Back