Cell Phones and Cancer Risk

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
An eighteen year study comprised of 350K Danish cell phone users has reached a conclusion that cell phones hold no greater risk of contributing to the incidences of cancer than a non-cell phone user would face.

There is no evidence that using mobile phones—even very heavily—has any correlation to developing brain or nervous system cancer. So, in all probability, you can use your phone(s) any way you like and be just fine.

Great. I'm sure that in a year ANOTHER 'research' will be conducted to disprove this research which was used to disprove a research before this and... Yeah.

The risk of cell phone radiation decreases as the amount of ambient radiation increases. In other words, we notice the cell phone less because our environment becomes more and more toxic.

No surprise considering how much 'stuff' we get blasted with 24/7/365. AM/FM/UHF/VHF/Wifi/Cell/shortwave/microwave. And that's a short list.

Yeah, sticking your next to a microwave is harmless. I'm so glad I'm not a chick. Reason #786, so I'm not genetically compelled to spend every waking minute on a cell phone.

There is still simply not enough human data to make any reasonable conclusion yet in my opinion. We need at least another 10-20 years of data. The problem is most of these studies are using data that goes back to when cell phones starting becoming popular, but usage back then was nowhere near what it is now. From some of the animal studies I have read, they have not found any statistically significant increase in tumors. In my opinion I think using cell phones does increase risk of cancer, but with all the "waves" around us everyday the increase may not be significant.

The risk of cell phone radiation decreases as the amount of ambient radiation increases. In other words, we notice the cell phone less because our environment becomes more and more toxic.
This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this. These studies are somewhat useless in this context because it clearly isnt bad enough to the point that it is plainly obvious. So I think we should focus on the things that are.

Look at the frequencies cell phones use. Research them a bit. Find they contribute to the weakening of cell membranes (human, animal - it doesn't matter). Regardless of other ambient sources of radiation, using a wired headpiece to move the cell phone transmitter (the phone itself, usually the backside) further from my head seems like one of the few choices I can make to reduce cell membrane weakening.

Whether this contributes to cancer or not is up for debate - unlikely to ever be resolved conclusively as some cells will be stronger than others. The fact that cell phone frequencies (not too far from microwave frequencies) weaken and damage cell structures isn't.

I'm more worried about people who smoke in public than cell phone radiation.

There is still simply not enough human data to make any reasonable conclusion yet in my opinion. We need at least another 10-20 years of data. The problem is most of these studies are using data that goes back to when cell phones starting becoming popular, but usage back then was nowhere near what it is now.

Cell phones have been widely popular for less than a decade. Twenty years ago, cell phones were rarely used even by the few people who had cell phones.

Cancer can take decades to manifest. For example, three quarters of people diagnosed with lung cancer are over 62. Yet, they were smoking since they were teenagers.

What difference does it make, whether it does or doesn't cause cancer (which I'm convinced it doesn't), that won't stop people from being hopelessly addicted to them.

People worry so much about tiny things which are extremely unlikely to kill. Yet don't spend 5 minutes worrying about eating piles of junk food or speeding (2 of the top killers) which are much more likely to. It's like the swine flu/HIV thing :p

What difference does it make, whether it does or doesn't cause cancer (which I'm convinced it doesn't), that won't stop people from being hopelessly addicted to them.

You miss the point. If it were proven that putting them to your head over a few decades DID cause cancer, it might cause more people to use bluetooth devices on their ears, which emit much less radiation.

On another note, I find this very interesting

So, in all probability, you can use your phone(s) any way you like and be just fine.

Haven't other studies found proof that they do alter things like your sleep patterns and the amount of water on the brain? (the latter of which not seeming to do anything significant) Wouldn't a chronically messed up sleep schedule be considered detrimental to ones well being, and therefor mean that you would not be "just fine"?

Good point, we focus way too much on the minute issues in our lives and entirely neglect the big players in our health. Exercise, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, not smoking or being around smokers, etc.

Cell phones very well may kill us if we use one daily until we are 100, but they will never have a chance to kill anyone if we continue neglecting everything else.

I also dont think anyone here truly understands where we really get the overwhelming majority of our radiation exposure. Laying out at the beach and getting a bad tan once is very likely a magnitude worse than cellphone use for a decade. Remember this:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Fukishima will probably never be (directly) linked to any cancer as well.

Hard to tell what the truth is when there is so much power and money at stake.

What he said....

I remember clowns on this forum telling us all how Fukishima was no big deal, and nowhere near as deadly as Chernobyl. No doubt they are still sucking wind believing anything the Government wants them to believe.

Fukishima will probably never be (directly) linked to any cancer as well.

Hard to tell what the truth is when there is so much power and money at stake.

This doesn't prove it to be 100% a myth... but thats is a pretty strong number of users they "tested"

I will still say this..... the RADIATION GETS TO YOUR BRAIN, this is solid fact as I have seen it tested. They showed people using the phones (hooked up to a brain scanning computer) and you can see for a fact that when the person starts using the phone, it activates certain parts of the brain! NO BULLSHIT. I bet its on youtube for sure, look it up.

Today's local paper ran a full page ad intended to remove our right to read public notices in newspapers, moving them to the internet.
The general public would have to view the governments websites to keep up with what is currently available to more people at a moments glance.

'Transparency' has become the new government mantra, but with the opacity of new legislation keep us in the dark.

Back