Security Flaw Links BitTorrent Users to Skype Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow, if what this reports says is true, this is huge. :eek:

Researchers have uncovered a major security flaw which allows outsiders to link a Skype account to a user’s download activity on BitTorrent. The exploit works without the knowledge of the victims and also allows outsiders to see the travel patterns of Skype users. The vulnerability opens the door for scammers to blackmail or defraud Internet users, the researchers say, and thus far Skype has shown no interested in releasing a fix.

Security flaw? Or Security law?

Probably backed up by some government agency to ensure that this happens.

I'm glad I never touched Skype. More so that they seem uninterested in fixing it.

"“We contacted Skype almost one year ago but the attack is still effective,” researcher Stevens Le Blond told TorrentFreak. Aside from Skype some of the flaws uncovered by the researchers also affect other real-time P2P communication systems such as Google Talk and MSN Messenger."

It sounds like it affects a lot more then just skype...I'm glad I dont use any of these programs.

Security flaw? Or Security law?

Probably backed up by some government agency to ensure that this happens.

I'm glad I never touched Skype. More so that they seem uninterested in fixing it.

Can you post a picture of yourself? I'm really curious what people like yourself look like in real life.

Do you wear a diaper?

So they can call your skype number, get your IP address, then look for your ip address on bittorrent to see if you are sharing anything.

Then don't use bittorrent or at least don't enable DHT, so they won't find you sharing anything.

The researchers found a way to call Skype users without them noticing. This means that a hacker can call someone and obtain their IP-address, all without being noticed. This IP-address can then be linked to a geographical location and even specific BitTorrent users.

Oh no skype isn't protecting our ip address the horror...

I'm not surprised Skype has ignored them, they're a bunch of idiot nutjobs. This isn't a security exploit, it's the way the internet works. Basically, they're saying "I can find out your IP address by connecting to you on Skype, and then I can search torrent swarms for your IP."

Newsflash, every single computer that you send data to on the internet has your IP address, otherwise they'd have no way to reply. Your IP address is not secret private information, and knowing your IP address is fundamentally required for two way communication.

Can you post a picture of yourself? I'm really curious what people like yourself look like in real life.

Do you wear a diaper?

Do you? Seriously? Attacking people because they're suspicious of a program that has gone unfixed after a security flaw was discovered? What are you? five?

Do you wear a diaper?

I'm obviously an advocate for privacy and you want me to show you a pic of myself? Are you an idiot?

And sorry, I don't have diapers to lend you.:cool:

Yes. I'd actually be more surprised they don't. I mean, there are moms everywhere who don't pay attention to their children. Big brother wants to help you after all.

Back