You Are In Siri-ous Trouble

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is what happens when you use Siri for anything other than entertainment purposes. Our condolences to the guy that bled to death waiting for his ambulance. ;) Thanks to Edward C. for the laugh.

All I will say is its a realistic joke somewhat.... voice recognition STILL BLOWS, whether its made by Apple(siri), Google(android), or Microsoft (10+ years of half-ass, voice to text programs)

The siri just upgrades shitty voice2speech programs from a F grade, to a D grade. It still SUCKS HARD as more than half the time is totally mistypes what you say... and will not be accurate until it learns the users common slang and localized "accent" / sounds of words pronounced.

Apple did a good job at overhyping old shit with a fancy new case though, once again

All I will say is its a realistic joke somewhat.... voice recognition STILL BLOWS, whether its made by Apple(siri), Google(android), or Microsoft (10+ years of half-ass, voice to text programs)

The siri just upgrades shitty voice2speech programs from a F grade, to a D grade. It still SUCKS HARD as more than half the time is totally mistypes what you say... and will not be accurate until it learns the users common slang and localized "accent" / sounds of words pronounced.

Apple did a good job at overhyping old shit with a fancy new case though, once again

Sounds like you have a shit ton of experience with Siri.

Shit ton? No, but I have seen it in use by manyyyyy people doing common things.

Siri is certaintly not "ground breaking" but I wish Apple upped the bar for voice-to-text, at least... voice recognition tech is STILL garbage and mistypes/can't figure out what you're saying half the time! I hope the 4S users and the 4S team can actually contribute something to make it better.... but that is doubtful.

Many people, really? I work downtown Chicago and I have yet to see anyone talk to their phone (to, not through). I must not be looking close enough.

Still, you might want to reserve judgement unless you try it yourself, with all the passionate contempt you're spewing. You make it sound like Siri insulted your mother or something.

The voice to text on my motorola X is pretty good as long as there isn't background noise, ie. radio, traffic, etc.

Many people, really? I work downtown Chicago and I have yet to see anyone talk to their phone (to, not through). I must not be looking close enough.

Still, you might want to reserve judgement unless you try it yourself, with all the passionate contempt you're spewing. You make it sound like Siri insulted your mother or something.

Probably just upset he couldn't get his iPhone 4s on launch day :p

No, i have a passion for calling out bullshit and overhype that isn't real... that's my passion in life, and I do hell of a good job at it because I win all my debates on these said "bullshit" subjects :D (ending with me getting name called and unable to be proven wrong with links,video, or solid common facts)

The person I usually debate with? Apple users, and Republicans.

Just about the only 2 types of people I don't agree with, for many obvious logical reasons.

I don't have to use something to talk bad about it. I constantly see "experts" learn in books about God, and know "all about god" so what makes a material object any different? At least I can physically see it and actually see how it operates on video, unlike god ;)

The funny screen shot has nothing to do with voice recognition as it got the words perfect. This is an understanding what is really being asked for problem. The same joke that TV series use when having foreigners learn the ambiguities of the English language.

George Carlin would be proud.

Probably just upset he couldn't get his iPhone 4s on launch day :p

Uh no? I talked bad about ANDROID, apple, and microsoft in my post..... not apple bashing at ALL, unless you are butthurt that you own an iphone and I talked bad about it? Obviously the latter! :cool:

And no, I would never be suckered into buying a brand new iphone anyways. My phone bill is HALF the cost of the 4S, and the phone does all the same shit (99% anyways). I paid $0 for it, because I am hell of a (cheap ass) shopper who lives by the common saying "bang for your buck"

Has anyone here asked a question with "Reality Distortion Field" in it? Curious what kind of answer you get LOL.

Voice recognition on my Motorola Droid work pretty well. I'm impressed how well it reads in addresses or navigation searches. I rarely have run into problems.

LOL thanks that made my morning. And yeah, it isn't a voice to text issue, as it perfectly transcribed what the person was saying. More of a logical/grammar issue.

I Lol'ed... eats, shoots and leaves. Rimshot.
Why are people so serious about siri? I mean it's a cool gimmick and all but I use my iphone for the games, the camera, goog maps and making calls. I turn off or disable everything else. It IS just a phone people: Relax.

This poster needs to be modded to spell "Serious" as "Siri-ous".

images

Granted I just picked up my 4S last night, but Siri has yet to mess up on me. Then again I don't mumble, I use proper speech, and I enunciate.

The "tell me a joke" one was funny. Would have been even better if the response was more like, "Two iPhones walk into a bar... I get lost after that..." :p

I've had great success with the iphone's speech to text.
ambient noise is an issue though, requiring you to press the Siri icon when you are finished otherwise she just waits and eventually starts her process.

Shit ton? No, but I have seen it in use by manyyyyy people doing common things.

Siri is certaintly not "ground breaking" but I wish Apple upped the bar for voice-to-text, at least... voice recognition tech is STILL garbage and mistypes/can't figure out what you're saying half the time! I hope the 4S users and the 4S team can actually contribute something to make it better.... but that is doubtful.

No, i have a passion for calling out bullshit and overhype that isn't real... that's my passion in life, and I do hell of a good job at it because I win all my debates on these said "bullshit" subjects :D (ending with me getting name called and unable to be proven wrong with links,video, or solid common facts)

The person I usually debate with? Apple users, and Republicans.

Just about the only 2 types of people I don't agree with, for many obvious logical reasons.

I don't have to use something to talk bad about it. I constantly see "experts" learn in books about God, and know "all about god" so what makes a material object any different? At least I can physically see it and actually see how it operates on video, unlike god ;)

Uh no? I talked bad about ANDROID, apple, and microsoft in my post..... not apple bashing at ALL, unless you are butthurt that you own an iphone and I talked bad about it? Obviously the latter! :cool:

And no, I would never be suckered into buying a brand new iphone anyways. My phone bill is HALF the cost of the 4S, and the phone does all the same shit (99% anyways). I paid $0 for it, because I am hell of a (cheap ass) shopper who lives by the common saying "bang for your buck"

Um... Are you like "off your medication" or something? :confused: Because you are really getting worked up over ... nothing. :rolleyes:

Um... Are you like "off your medication" or something? :confused: Because you are really getting worked up over ... nothing. :rolleyes:

Now he's going to challenge you over this bullshit subject and try hard to win!

I was reading this dudes posts and couldn't help but think he's just some angry 15 year old who thinks he knows it all. :rolleyes:

The only time speech software works is when you speak like a robot saying each word slowly and deliberately as if you were reading it off a list and not saying it as part of a fluid sentence.

The only time speech software works is when you speak like a robot saying each word slowly and deliberately as if you were reading it off a list and not saying it as part of a fluid sentence.

Give Siri a try. You'll be amazed how much things have improved. Look at some of the youtube vids.

I have found that people from Philly who live in Florida are the ONLY people who can casually talk and the devices will get it right. Everyone else...completely missed wording and grammar when using Apple or Google devices.

On rare occasions I want to use such features, I usually have to get my co-worker to speak into the search engine and voice recognition devices for me because of this.

I don't have to use something to talk bad about it.

I am not surprised that you would say such an obviously idiotic thing.

I constantly see "experts" learn in books about God, and know "all about god" so what makes a material object any different? At least I can physically see it and actually see how it operates on video, unlike god ;)

Did you ever think that those 'experts' could have actually experienced things about God for themselves, things you currently have no perception of? (You will probably answer 'no', which would immediately demonstrate your lack of knowledge).

I have found that people from Philly who live in Florida are the ONLY people who can casually talk and the devices will get it right. Everyone else...completely missed wording and grammar when using Apple or Google devices.

Oh...before any smart people try to call me out on that...it was said mostly in jest but has been demonstrated quite a few times.

Siri is nice but it doesn't really seem to revolutionary in terms of its accuracy. There are pretty good natural language systems that have been around for a while. The coolest thing about Siri are the device command capabilities like appointment scheduling and such. Windows Mobile had an add on called Voice Commander that while not a natural language engine had some abilities to control the device via voice and for whatever reason Microsoft took those capabilities out of Windows Phone, though the voice dialer and app launcher part of Voice Commander is Windows Phone.

Back