X79 GIGABYTE G1 Assassin 2 Sneak Peek

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gigabyte has posted a few teaser images of the upcoming X79 based GIGABYTE G1 Assassin 2 motherboard on its company blog. I snagged a couple photos to whet your appetite.

The Magazine heatsink looking one was gaudy, but I still could see it in my case.

This one, nope, took the gun thing too far. Seriously, I would rather wear a 24k gold AK47 medallion on a 2 inch thick rope chain, than have a pistol heatsink on my mobo.

Maybe if the gun trigger did something. Like shot many volts into your motherboard and overclocked the CPU/RAM automagically.

Gun looks kinds cheesy. anyone know what the release date is for sandy-E?

Maybe if the gun trigger did something. Like shot many volts into your motherboard and overclocked the CPU/RAM automagically.

Hehe, you made me giggle. I am not much of a fan of guns on my mobos.....but whatever.

Stupidest looking thing I've ever seen on a mobo in years.

Maybe if it was a heatsink with a couple spinning fans that looked like boobs.

i don't get it..many people play fps games and yet a gun as a heatsink determines if they get the mobo or not.

irony i'd say?

it looks good for a GAMING motherboard.

cheesy but if it improves heating performance i'm down i don't care what it looks like. if its crappier than other types of cooling its a waste of money.

Eh... I dig the color scheme, but really, the pistol as the sink kinda ruins it for me. Sometimes less is more.

I like the features, but seriously, which retard looked at that gun and said "Hey now THAT'S PERFECT!"

Christ, WHAT were they thinking?

Usually when I mix motherboards and firearms, the motherboards lose - with lots of holes in them. Two hobbies that pretty much stay separate until the box of targets, er, I mean dead hardware, gets full.

I don't like the gun heatsink. But it has the features I like in a motherboard. Will this be the motherboard that finally makes me jump from Asus?

Is is true that X79 won't have native USB 3.0?

Motherboards with heatsinks that are purposely made to look like certain objects just looks stupid. Rather have the most efficient design without wasting so much space on the board to have a large peice of aluminum resembling a l33t sauce Glock.

That gun heatsink is stupid as can be. It looks so bad and tacky.

Not going in my next build thats for sure.

Is is true that X79 won't have native USB 3.0?

That's what I was hearing too. Actually, I heard the x79 is somewhat of a "disaster" in terms of a platform. They had to cut out or just didn't include things. Course that is speculative and hearsay.

But that board looks, eh, not too good. That gun thing is far too goofy. The shade of green is too bright too. A lot of contrast on the black. Guess I'm partial to red/black or blue/black. Orange can work if done right.

I have the Z68 version and Love it, the magazine clip is rather subtle and overall its a quality board.

I'm a huge fan of Gigabyte, and I have to say, that's fugly.

The green (like all the Sniper/Assassin boards) is gaudy; at least ASUS' military themes go for a subdued olive green (though that isn't really my cup of tea, it ranks above this). The lights on the `sinks are iffy, and the bullet-clip/gun heatsinks are just plain wrong.

I love the look of the current UD5 and UD7, with their gunmetal-gray heatsinks with bluee (or orange in the UD7) accents, which just look classy and upscale. The G1 boards on the other hand, are a case for cases without windows --the computer version of a face made for radio.

Maybe take a key from Intel's X79 board, which looks great, or your own UD5/UD7 boards, Gigabyte. Don't be the computer equivalent of the kid who puts a three-foot wing and a fart-can muffler on an otherwise decent car.

after I saw the clean look the "Tactical Jacket" gives to the Asus Sabertooth P67 here I don't really like the normal mobos, at least don't make it look like a little kid gun, but hey this will look nice in a green/black case mod.

I am definitely a Gigabyte fan since I was able to clock my Q9550 to 4.25 GHz on my current setup. Unfortunately it is still fast enough I can't justify the expense of upgrading.

Wacky looking as hell. Hopefully the gun is real and detaches so you can use it to shoot yourself in the face for purchasing this crazy-ass thing.

if i saw teh board right they got 4 dimms but in 2's on both sides of teh cpu now? so if you wanna install a LARGE 2 fan setup push pull wtf you do now? most block teh side of teh first slot anyways now both sides :confused:

Hmm, based on the pictures I could see, there's only 4 RAM slots? Any idea why this is?

I wonder how Abit would of made their board...

abit was long since out of touch with the enthusiast community by the time they stopped making boards. Most of their engineering staff works for other companies at this point if they are even still in the business.

Born and raised in CA, I am not much for guns. That said: the mobo looks fine to me.

I am more curious about features and what it can do. It would look good in my acrylic case.

Oh well - I dont see buying a new CPU and likely new ram all at the same time just to upgrade a MoBo.

abit was long since out of touch with the enthusiast community by the time they stopped making boards. Most of their engineering staff works for other companies at this point if they are even still in the business.

I miss Abit so much. BE6 still doing me good. :cool:

This board looks too gaudy for me. They need to learn how to keep it sleek like their UD series.

I'm anxiously waiting for an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition. :eek:

Even fucking stupider looking than the last assassin board. Anyone who buys this should probably feel ashamed of themselves.

Back