18TB Hard Drives Made Possible Using Table Salt

HardOCP News

[H] News
At what point during your research into hard drive density do you just say "screw it" and throw table salt into your hard drive? Was pepper not an option? ;)

Existing hard drives max out at 3TB at the moment. TDK’s HAMR promises to take that to 6TB, but Dr Yang has found a way to increase the data density of a drive to 3.3 Terabit/inch2, effectively meaning 18TB hard drives are possible. What may surprise you is the key to this massive increase in data storage density. Dr Yang used table salt, or more specifically, sodium chloride.

Gues I really didn't need room for 4 drives in my htpc after all :)

Putting a media drive in an HTPC is pretty silly IMO. Noisy, hot and inconvenient for sharing media with other computers in the house.

OT: I hope they use sea salt. It's better for your health.

Matthew Humphries hasn't heard of the Seagate and Hitachi 4TB drives yet, or his article would be titled 24TB hard drives made possible...
And that's only with the 800MB platters. With the new 1TB platters, the article would read 30TB hard drives made possible...

But what about corrosion? ^-^

At least it's not MSG.

What have you got against the Michael Schenker Group?

For those of you who don't know, Michael Schenker is a former Scorpions and UFO guitarist and brother of longtime and current Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker.

At least it's not MSG.

Obviously! Who the hell would put MSG on their HDD platters? That's just stupid! They would totally wreck your shit up.

4140871973_05e241c174.jpg

Yes you do. Why would you turn down a 54 TB RAID5 array? :D

HAMR and NaCl drives are nice, but I still can't wait for memristor drives to hit the market.

I'm running out of space already. 2-3TB drives aren't cutting it anymore. Everything is just getting bigger every year. 18TB drives would be great. Might get 50TB dipping these drives in sugar. ;)

Hmm...cirlcles of salt...I heard there was symbols drawn on the platters too...sounds like black magic :eek:

I doubt you'll still be using that same HTPC by the time any of this actually leads to an advance in storage space. HD companies don't just say 'Oh, look, we can do 18TB, let's jump right to that.' They say 'Let's sell as many 2TB as we can for a year, 3TB for a year, now let's sell 4TB for a year, now let's do 5TB for a year...etc..'

From article:
The good news is the use of sodium chloride can be added to existing lithography processes, suggesting it won’t take too long to get this up and running for commercial drives

I hate to break it to you guys, but as someone who works in hard drive media development, I have to point out that there is no lithography involved in current media production processes.

I wish our grains looked like those SEM pictures, but they don't look nearly as neatly ordered. Those pictures look like bit patterned media (which does have lithography involved). Patterned media is projected to be something that is a possible alternative after HAMR runs out of steam.

File this one under "maybe sometime, but definitely not soon"

NaCl...I have written that crap so many times now in Chemistry AP that I am getting sick of seeing it :D

Pretty cool though, lets see the awesome price though!

Back