Actress Sues Amazon for Revealing Age on Film Database

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for frivolous lawsuit of the day goes to this lady, for suing Amazon because her age was listed on IMDB. :rolleyes:

A US actress has lodged a $1 million lawsuit against Amazon accusing the Internet giant of revealing her age on the film industry website IMDB by using personal details from her credit card. The actress, who asked for her identity to be masked and is referred to only as "Jane Doe," has launched the suit for damages and interests with the Western District Court of Washington state, in northwestern Seattle.

I don't see why this a surprise. For an actress who isn't established, being old mean being useless.

Isn't it pretty common to have access to an actors DOB? I mean, they have a birthday every year, and you'll get articles from time to time saying "at age 8 in 1962 so and so blah blah". It's not hard to figure out.

Maybe. Sounds to me like IMDB put info about her on their site she didn't want.

Why the rolleyes?

by using personal details from her credit card. The actress, who asked for her identity to be masked and is referred to only as "Jane Doe,"

Couldn't even read the excerpt?

And the award for frivolous lawsuit of the day goes to this lady, for suing Amazon because her age was listed on IMDB. :rolleyes:
The reason she is suing is because they took her birthdate out of her confidential credit card information. That's not exactly frivolous.

LOL, so she is totally assuming that amazon used her credit card to put up her age.

What does this change anyways? People know when you were born? There is a thing called PUBLIC RECORDS.

Lol, another waste of $$$$ on daydreaming lawyers with nothing better to do with their "education"

Maybe. Sounds to me like IMDB put info about her on their site she didn't want.

Which would be fine if she were just suing them to have it removed and a small compensation for the violation of privacy (assuming they did actually use her CC info and didn't discover it from some other source). However, she's not. She's asking for $1M and blaming their revelation of her true age for her being a failure in the industry.

LOL, so she is totally assuming that amazon used her credit card to put up her age.

What does this change anyways? People know when you were born? There is a thing called PUBLIC RECORDS.

Lol, another waste of $$$$ on daydreaming lawyers with nothing better to do with their "education"

It's kinda hard to track people's public records down when you don't have their real name.

Ok, definitely an old clueless washed up hag who failed at being an actress:

"Shortly after subscribing to IMDbPro, plaintiff noticed that her legal date of birth had been added to her public acting profile in the Internet Movie Database, revealing to the public that plaintiff is many years older than she looks," the lawsuit states.

...........ahahahaha :D , what a pathetic lawsuit, honestly. No chance in hell. What a worthless person to do something this low, and then blame her failures on a measly DOB mentioned (which would be required for her to get paid by the employers, if she DID get the job! hahaha)

She acts like everyone is going straight to IMDB to get their info on her, like she is famous or something. ROFL! I can go on and on, this is just laughable

I wonder who it is, and if she is blind in thinking she looks younger than she actually is.

Ok, definitely an old clueless washed up hag who failed at being an actress:

...........ahahahaha :D , what a pathetic lawsuit, honestly. No chance in hell. What a worthless person to do something this low, and then blame her failures on a measly DOB mentioned (which would be required for her to get paid by the employers, if she DID get the job! hahaha)

She acts like everyone is going straight to IMDB to get their info on her, like she is famous or something. ROFL! I can go on and on, this is just laughable

No, she's acting like potential employers are looking her up on IMDB.. just like how some companies look applicants up on Google to see what they can discover that would put up some red flags.

If they arrested half the people that looked and acted like douchebags (claiming they were hackers), most of the Hardforum would be looking for a good lawyer.

If they arrested half the people that looked and acted like douchebags (claiming they were hackers), most of the Hardforum would be looking for a good lawyer.

Goddamit, wrong article. That's what I get for having averaged six hours of sleep for the last four days.

It's kinda hard to track people's public records down when you don't have their real name.

Except she subscribed to IMDBPro, she PAID them to put her details out there (that's the whole point of IMDBPro, to publicize your details/contact information/headshots/demo reels). They don't have to track down a person's public records - when you sign up for IMDBPro you give them all your information for the express purpose of them publicizing it for casting agents to see.

No, she's acting like potential employers are looking her up on IMDB.. just like how some companies look applicants up on Google to see what they can discover that would put up some red flags.

I know, that's what I was saying. But this is some wannabe hollywood failure, not someone like Tom Hanks or Pamela Anderson who would easily pop up on a search.

regardless of that, that is all besides my main point... she thinks she is attractive, and thats the whole base of her lawsuit apparently.. she has no fucking chance.

I agree, it sounds like this lady is just trying to make money without having to actually work for it. If she was really worried about someone finding out her age then she should sue every site that might have her listed along with her age. I hope she loses the lawsuit and never gets a acting job.

The only thing laughable here is your ignorance. You should clue yourself in on how the business works. Younger looking women have a much easier time of getting a job. This is MORE important for an actress who isn't famous, not LESS. If you're already high-profile, you're fine for the most part.

The issue is that people won't care that she looks young. They'll just check her age and dismiss her out of hand. By taking advantage of her natural youthful look, she most likely got three or four times the number of calls.

IMDB is, in fact, one of the tools used by casting to check out potential talent, famous or not.

I don't know whether this lawsuit has any real merit, but her age being much more publicly visible WILL cost her jobs. That's just how it works.

Except she subscribed to IMDBPro, she PAID them to put her details out there (that's the whole point of IMDBPro, to publicize your details/contact information/headshots/demo reels). They don't have to track down a person's public records - when you sign up for IMDBPro you give them all your information for the express purpose of them publicizing it for casting agents to see.

Yep... This is what happened. She didn't read the fine print, and now she's all bent. They didn't "borrow" the information from her credit card, she provided it.

Isn't it pretty common to have access to an actors DOB? I mean, they have a birthday every year, and you'll get articles from time to time saying "at age 8 in 1962 so and so blah blah". It's not hard to figure out.

yep.

Furthermore when you take a job that is so public (like acting, professional sports, politics, etc.) there is limited expectation of privacy.

It just goes with the territory.

This woman is a joke.

Maybe this is just an audition and by doing this she is performing her best acting role yet?

http://gawker.com/5850547/which-actress-is-suing-imdb-for-revealing-her-age

More information. They used her real name instead of her stage name and since they wont remove her age she's cut out of work because lesser known actresses are not in demand after 40.

My money is on that it's one of those 'actresses' you see on cinemax late night. Being over 40 will probably get your resume binned before they even look at it.

I guess she will need to get a real job now.

What the hell is northwestern Seattle? Ballard?

The reason she is suing is because they took her birthdate out of her confidential credit card information. That's not exactly frivolous.

Birth dates are public record. It's a frivolous waste of time to try and decide who and what can use that info. Public record, a fact, a truth, acessible to all, get over it.

i dunno i think she might have a case... maybe. She's going by a stage name which means her real age wouldn't appear on public records as everyone is screaming about. Also even if you may look late 20s (quite common if your of Asian decent) as soon as anyone sees that your above 40 your resume gets thrown in the trash

I always wondered why IMDb asked for your credit card information just to rate or comment a movie, not only for IMDbPro, so I never subscribed.
Now that I am reminded that Amazon bought IMDb last millennium, I understand better why.

I think the article is not right though, there is no birth date in any credit card information, right?
They must have got it from another mean or indirectly, like from her Amazon account via the credit card number she used on IMDb.
If such information is consolidated, that would really be Big Brother from Amazon. She would have a better case there than just bickering about her age.

@Spire3660 Exactly, public records are accessible to all, so no need to publish them for everybody to see, respect our privacy. Especially birth dates, which can be used by ID thieves.

I'd like to know how she knows it was the credit card that she used on amazon to get her age and not some more public database that anyone can purchase your name / birthday for $9.99 with a full detailed report on where you live and your phone number and all of your family.

Back