Skype Founders Gunning for Netflix

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Skype's co-founder Janus Friis is working on a Netflix rival. The kicker? They've been working in secret on this thing for two years. :eek:

Skype’s founders have apparently been quietly assembling an A-team of media and web technology experts to launch a site that seems destined to replicate the model behind their music subscription site Rdio in the video space. The new service called Vdio, which hasn’t publicly launch yet, has been kept secret for almost two years. Until now.

Just more reason to shitcan netflix and short their falling stock for easy profits

3+ better options, and counting..... surprised skype is getting into more stuff. They seem to be on the ball and are being quite innovative, I must admit. They kind of need it, I didn't expect skype alone to last much longer with cheaper alternatives for calling out now. Nice move by skype for sure! Big thanks to them for saving people money! That's what its all about, innovating new stuff, and being best bang for the buck.....

MS bought Skype, this is the co founder doing something else mate. I hope it kicks Netflix into staying on the ball.

Oh crap, you are right bacon! I didn't know that. :)

Netflix on the ball? lololol, at least they finally listened to their customers this week (to address one of their many issues, anyways)

I can't see how they could compete very well with Netflix. Ideally, if they offered a cheaper price with a better selection, then it's a no duh, but you know that's not going to happen. If anything they may offer some movies Netflix doesn't, but still won't have some movies Netflix has. This will just cause consumers to have both subscriptions.

I have never even hear of "Rdio", and I spend way too much time on the internet on tech sites.

Just more reason to shitcan netflix and short their falling stock for easy profits

3+ better options, and counting..... surprised skype is getting into more stuff. They seem to be on the ball and are being quite innovative, I must admit. They kind of need it, I didn't expect skype alone to last much longer with cheaper alternatives for calling out now. Nice move by skype for sure! Big thanks to them for saving people money! That's what its all about, innovating new stuff, and being best bang for the buck.....

Not really you can say 3+ better options. Sure there are options but hardly better. Most including netflix are still lacking content.

As for the OP. Who cares if they have been "working on it secretly for 2 years" these days the infrastructure from something like this is a piece of cake. Its all about the licensing. I would be very surprised if they can get more licenses than a Netflix or Amazon and still stay price competitive.

I have heard it (rdio) mentioned quite a few times (5-10x personally)

after spotify was released especially.

yuck.. their website requires you to log in via facebook which i dont have

but there is little gem from the linked article that really makes me laugh

"However, visitors from the U.S. are being told that Vdio is “currently available in the U.K. only.” U.K. residents on the other hand learn that Vdio is “coming soon” to their country"

UK only? how in the hell does that make it a netflix competitor??

LOL.. FAIL

Good to know that video services are reaching out to other countries. We often hear how upset people get because launches and sales and services are only available in the US. We have enough streaming services. Let other countries have a chance at it.

I like the random animated background Vdio uses for their website. Simple,yet elegant.

I personally think Netflix sucks! My cable company Comcast offers FREE Netflix service called XFINITY TV teamed up with Hulu and all of the major TV networks to bring me way more content than NETFLIX ever did for free included with my cable service. I get all my premium channels on XFINITY TV so I can stream all of the latest movies and TV shows that are actually CURRENT and not 1 season behind!!! I would never pay for NETFLIX again and I think the real player to watch out for is Comcast, they are amazing at the features they have brought to us for free and continue to bring us faster internet speeds surfing @ 150 mbit! :)

I personally think Netflix sucks! My cable company Comcast offers FREE Netflix service called XFINITY TV teamed up with Hulu and all of the major TV networks to bring me way more content than NETFLIX ever did for free included with my cable service. I get all my premium channels on XFINITY TV so I can stream all of the latest movies and TV shows that are actually CURRENT and not 1 season behind!!! I would never pay for NETFLIX again and I think the real player to watch out for is Comcast, they are amazing at the features they have brought to us for free and continue to bring us faster internet speeds surfing @ 150 mbit! :)

I agree with the hate that netflix lacks TONS of content, and esp new content... but you are praising comcast for "free" stuff when really you can only get it if you pay tons of extra $$ for their "digital package"

And that 150mbit internet cost $199/month MINIMUM just for the 105mbit (105 .. not 150)... so I don't even want to go relearn what they charge for their new 150mbit! It's awesome, but you sure do pay for it.

I have free comcast channels (2-80) and mix it up with youtube/streaming sites I know of/hulu/vimeo using my 500kb/sec 3G.

Total cost $0 for my "TV & Movie" expenses :D

Back