ASUS M5A99X EVO Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at OCIA have posted a review of the ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard today for those of you interested. Here's a quote to get you started:

Despite lackluster performance from the new FX processors, AM3+ does still have some benefits to offer AMD users, particularly if you're still on an older AM2+ board or utilizing nVidia SLI. If a $200 motherboard isn't in your budget, the ASUS M5A99X EVO we have for review today may be just your cup of tea."

I upgraded my older am3 asus to this one a few weeks ago. No issues withj stock setup. I liked the upgrade tosata6, usb3.0 and the uefi bios.
x4 945
8 gig ddr3 OCZ
2 1tb segate
2 sata dvd drives
gtx460
750watt corsair ps

Asus on 11/16 updated Bios to version 813.

M5A99X EVO BIOS 0813:
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability

Hi, I recently purchased the new 8150 3.6GHz 8-core bulldozer and a pair of [ RipjawsX ] F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL DDR3 Dual Channel memory pairs (The memory is in the correct DIMM slots)

I also have the M5A99X Evo and a nice 1K psu.

My problem is that on first boot/BIOS config after I built the system, the memory is only show @ 1600MHz.
I have managed to overclock to 2100MHz or just above with my CPU overclock to 4.15GHz also by setting the overclock settings manually in the BIOS.

It seems very strange, I think because this still is unsupported memory and needs a BIOS upgrade? I am already on 0813 BIOS to see if it needed a fix.
This still is unsupported and even my 3.6GHz 8-core bulldozer still isn't on the QVL list.

I can boot if I leave it four minutes after the first inital cold boot, but if I leave it switched off and try and switch it on (warm boot it) before that 4 minutes then it just hangs, no POST whatsoever with the VGA light lit until I switch off.

I have tried swapping my gfx card with another one and still the same issue, have to leave it off for 4 mins before trying to warm boot again.
Cold boots are absolutely fine (had the pc off for over 4 mins or longer).

Has anybody got any ideas or a way of contacting ASUS to get this CPU/Memory added, I'm sure there are many people who want this beast of a system.

I have added screenshots showing that windows runs absolutely fine/stable when it does eventually boot.
Also ran 3DMark06 with a gfx overclock also and hitting 227fps on some parts, score is 18887 with everything set standard and just pressing test.

Hope this all helps, any other questions, just ask :D

Ant

(The screenshots are at native res, so you can right-click to download them off of my site to view, it's hard to see on here!)

7score.jpg

sysinf.jpg

@oobumblebeeoo what HDD/SSD are you using on that build?

I am wondering too. I have 5.9 for my Primary HD with two Sata 6, 7200 RPM, HD's in raid 0.

I have the Asus Sabertooth 990fx, also with the new 813 UEFI and am also getting some weirdness with ram.

We have the same UEFI, how are you able to edit the bus speed? I cant seem to do it on my system and have been trying to figure out if it is me or the 813 release.

Last edited:
Does anyone think you can install WinXP on this motherboard by switching BIOS settings from ACHI to IDE or something like that?

Does anyone think you can install WinXP on this motherboard by switching BIOS settings from ACHI to IDE or something like that?

Why you would want to use XP with this boards I dont know. The Asus web site includes drivers for XP which would lead me to believe you can do it.

The latest bios update allowed me to run my 1600 rated Gskill at 1600, I had to downgrade to 1333 previously.

Back