Undercover Cops and Politicians Escape BitTorrent Lawsuits

HardOCP News

[H] News
Throwing out lawsuits against public figures and politicians? Wouldn't you think a high profile target like that would send a bigger message to the general public? :rolleyes:

Court papers filed in one of the mass-lawsuits against BitTorrent users reveal some interesting facts. In an attempt to justify suing dozens of people at once, the attorney claims that this is a practical issue. Apparently the copyright holder has decided to throw out a lot of cases, because the defendants have died, are political or public figures, employed by the army, or part of a covert police operation.

"Do as we say not as we do"

until crap like this stops -- this country will continue it's swirling down the toilet. The most efficient solution possible? Everyone that holds a political office loses their jobs. Fresh blood is brought in with the strict understanding that if you are caught doing anything illegal or against the public trust you will be put in prison for X number of years. No exceptions.

The reason they are dropped is because these people have the means to fight back. The settlement firms don't want that. They want ignorant modest means people to crumble and pay the extortion money.

I can see letting undercover cops go if it were part of an investigation to download the torrents and log the ip numbers. I can also forgive people inlisted in the military, because they are trapped in a warzone and under-paid. But politicians? That is just BS. These people are just not getting sued because the ip owner wants to bribe these guys into passing crap laws for them later.

We need Ron Paul to end the corruption. No Internet regulations!!!

They shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose who they sue if they want to pretend it's such a heinous crime. And perhaps if they're suing everyone at once to save money, the defendents ought to be allowed to have a single, unified defense where any one defendent proven innocent will invalid the whole prosecution.

This is how it always is (unless caught on camera and posted to Youtube): we mundanes are fined/go to jail/are executed (depending on the "crime"), whereas politicians (and police) are generally exempt.

Yeah, how's that whole government thing working out?

You just can't have the politicians your lobby dollars put in office being charged with a crime now, can you? That would be embarrassing...

This really is unfrickin' believable. I hope the major news wires gets ahold of this and it gets massive coverage, especially with elections coming.

They know those with money and lawyers will be able to fight and win because their lawsuits are so phoney. Besides, they can't let the politicians get sued. They are the ones they pay off to help pass shitty laws to help make their lawsuits meaningful.

The reason they are dropped is because these people have the means to fight back. The settlement firms don't want that. They want ignorant modest means people to crumble and pay the extortion money.

This is pretty much what's going on. It's not that these folks are above the law - they have the resources to defend themselves, and that costs the "copyright holders" (meaning, law firms) money. That is what they don't want. Those that do get taken to court are single, unemployed parents - retired folk - teenagers - in other words, those without the resources to defend themselves.

Yup, all about the money, and nothing to do with the legality of copyrighted material.

Personally if things keep going down this path -- I can easily see people just hitting their breaking point. If you are a hardworking blue collar guy that gets slapped with $150,000 dollars in fees from a company who's profit is based in frivolous lawsuits.... there will come a day when he loses it, walks into the RIAA headquarters and starts blowing people away.

This can probably be applied to just about any industry or case where the little guy consistently and systematically gets screwed over.

And if I had to react to something like this I would say the RIAA pretty much brought it on themselves. This isn't 1990, music/movies/games do not (and should not) be based on an outdated economic and price structure.

This country used to be great because we didn't tolerate bullshit like this. We didn't tolerate stupidity, greed, corruption. These days anyone with a complaint no matter how small or retarded is treated like a great suffering holocaust victim.

The two greatest things we could do to fix this country in less than 10 years? Fire every single public official in every level of government, and start fresh. The party system is broken, slow, and corrupt. Completely overhaul the court system to a system of "loser pays" (and pays BIG) Sure, you can bring the frivolous lawsuit to court, but if you want to sue a dead grandma for downloading a Beiber song... and you lose, it's going to cost you millions. (as it should)

"Do as we say not as we do"...snip...

This is exactly why I have the attitude that I have, which goes something like this:

FUCK YOU. Why should I follow the rules, while some rich cocksucker can buy their way out because of who they are, or who they know. This is precisely why I WILL NOT do what I'm told, when it comes anything that this sorry ass fucking excuse for a "government" says I have to.

And people wonder why I hate the fucking rich and the power hungry sub human trash that are running this country into the ground. Whats good for one is good for all and if not, then you can kindly go fuck yourself and mind your own GODDAMN BUSINESS. Oh...but I'm the one that has a bad attitude, or so I have been told.

And I say all this with as much concentrated pure white hot rage filled hatred as I can possibly generate at this time.

These lawsuits are immoral, unethical, and the civil litigation system needs serious reform so that it cannot be used to extort money from people like this.

While there is an argument that these people have the resources to fight back, you have to keep in mind they also have heavy political influence over laws. Oh, say, like copyright laws and various other things and kickbacks and projects and the like.

That's not me defending anyone, just saying how it is.

This is how it always is (unless caught on camera and posted to Youtube): we mundanes are fined/go to jail/are executed (depending on the "crime"), whereas politicians (and police) are generally exempt.

Yeah, how's that whole government thing working out?

Rich mans war? Poor mans fight?

Nah, military is because we have free access to a defense attorney, typically very good attorneys; doesn't cost us anything more than some on duty time to fight off frivolous charges with a fair chance of winning with a sympathetic jury.

That and the fact that all you have to do is get/be stationed overseas and their suit is stopped dead-cold until you return.

There was more than one lifer when I was in Germany that I am pretty sure were planning to stick it out and re-up there endlessly because of this law.

Back