Coolest Flight Simulator...Ever.

Fuck yeah, we're 1 step closer to a holo-deck.

Screw the flight simulator, load up the "Tahitian Beach" program kick back in a cabana chair with a drink in a coconut and you got instant relaxation.

I assume part of the projection is the actual cockpit, right? Or is that inside the sphere? Because it's not like you can actually look 360 degrees in a cockpit due to occlusion of the pylons and stuff.

Usually the cockpit is located within the sphere and why it is not common to see a true 360 degree projection as much of that is blocked by some portion of the aircraft.

This is really fantastic, too bad they didn't have more detailed pictures. Now someone needs to replicate this in a cheaper way for arcade use because I don't think the wife would allow me to have a giant sim sphere in the house.

I would rather see gaming go towards inexpensive ... call it head gear, helmet/visor, wrap around glasses type thing that completely covers both eyes and allows for true binocular 3d vision. no need for polarization or shutter glasses when you're drawing to two independent screens that cover the entire range of human eyes.

match that with something like trackir and or gyros to track head movement and you have yourself a nice immersive environment. IO devices might be a bit tricky but voice comms are so ubiquitous these days that typing isn't 'required per se. wasd controlls are easy enough to figure out without actually seeing them.

to further the argument, who the fuck has an entire massive room to dedicate to dome projection setup like that anyway?

I would rather see gaming go towards inexpensive ... call it head gear, helmet/visor, wrap around glasses type thing that completely covers both eyes and allows for true binocular 3d vision. no need for polarization or shutter glasses when you're drawing to two independent screens that cover the entire range of human eyes.

match that with something like trackir and or gyros to track head movement and you have yourself a nice immersive environment. IO devices might be a bit tricky but voice comms are so ubiquitous these days that typing isn't 'required per se. wasd controlls are easy enough to figure out without actually seeing them.

to further the argument, who the fuck has an entire massive room to dedicate to dome projection setup like that anyway?
Didn't they have that fad in the early 90s? Virtual Reality?? :D What ever happened to that technology, seems that they could update the hardware in the glasses (way better resolution) and update the hardware on the game size and get some seriously freaky coolness.

The F-35 helmet system provides a panoramic view in any direction around the aircraft, so I can certainly see video games heading in that direction. I don't understand why a 360 degree FOV is required for a simulator though, as said above there's pylons, wings and fuselage which block line of sight for a large portion of it.

Personally I can't wait till there's a flexible screen I can use for a simming pit.

More importantly, how many pixels would it take to make a crisp 360-degree view? We have a candidate for the next PC-breaking holocaust.

Didn't they have that fad in the early 90s? Virtual Reality?? :D What ever happened to that technology, seems that they could update the hardware in the glasses (way better resolution) and update the hardware on the game size and get some seriously freaky coolness.

The Virtual Boy Killed it.

Fuck yeah, we're 1 step closer to a holo-deck.

Screw the flight simulator, load up the "Tahitian Beach" program kick back in a cabana chair with a drink in a coconut and you got instant relaxation.

we've been there for years now. What we need is tactile resistance, then it will all come together. Or maybe organic matter manipulated on the molecular level will make it all pointless. Either way we're in for a helluva ride for the next 10 years.

we've been there for years now. What we need is tactile resistance, then it will all come together. Or maybe organic matter manipulated on the molecular level will make it all pointless. Either way we're in for a helluva ride for the next 10 years.

Yeah a "Tahitian beach" isn't quite the same without the smell of the sea, the feel of air/wind, the sand between your toes, and the sun beating down.

The projectors that are being used are quite impressive. I don't know what the exact max res for them is but they look quite nice and are some of the best in the industry.

The issue with the helmets is that they are usually bulky and don't really have as good of an immersion factor due to the closeness of the displays within the helmet. I have tried one out that was being used for a foot soldier simulator. It ended up being rather clunky but was amusing. There were sensors attached to your legs that allowed you to "walk" in place as if you were really walking around and the helmet display tracked your head movements.

Back