iOS 5 Rollout Marred By Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like upgrading to iOS 5 is a bit of a pain in the ass. If you are an iPhone/iPad user, you might want to hold off for a bit before upgrading.

But the problems didn’t just end with not being able to connect to Apple’s servers and download the new iOS software. Some users ran into more serious issues, such as the upgrade stalling and devices being wiped of their apps, music, photos and other data. From the outcry on Twitter, it seems like many users had their devices hit pretty hard by the update, and some were even seemingly unusable for a short time.

Yup I am one of those users who ran into this issue with my backup getting corrupted and i lost all my crap.

medium_26044351_fa9bf19dc5.jpg

i decided to try it on my ipad1 , since i have not a lot of stuff in it , and lost most of my apps and pictures.

i decided to try it on my ipad1 , since i have not a lot of stuff in it , and lost most of my apps and pictures.

I have an iPad 1 also, it removes everything from the device but it will apply everything from your last back up once it finishes with the 5.0 update. It took my iPad about 45 minutes once the update was complete to migrate all my movies, apps, pictures, books back onto my iPad.

Only issue I had was getting the server to authenticate last night, which seems to be the main issue for most.

I had problems installing it on my iPhone, but it was just a matter of waiting a few hours for the servers to calm down, then it worked fine. Everything is running smooth as silk right now, I'm actually writing this post from my phone.

Upgraded a Touch and iPad2 and didn't have any issues other than the download going slower than dial-up. I think the problem is that the device looks like it has finished with the restore, but really hasn't. So people are unplugging them and then finding stuff missing. Apple should have made sure that devices would let people know that the restore was still in progress and to not unplug.

It's a restore, not an update, so it wipes your phone. Backup beforehand and you get it all back.

Took quite a while on an ipod touch -- warned several times that some items present on device were not showing up in itunes (which was expected as I have it set to manually manage since I connect to a couple different PCs) -- in the end it all showed back up.

A few nice features I suppose; glad it didn't cost any $$ though.

I had zero issues, updated an ipad2, itouch, and iphone4.

It took about 30min for each device but other than scrambling my app locations all went well. Sorry you guys didn't have a smooth upgrade.

no real issues, although it didn't put my music back on the phone, I guess I can do that later

i got issues to like errors and corrupt files, but in the end after the third time and about 2 hours it restored all my apps(about 200) and some of my books in pdf; i don't have music nether video stored on my ipad 1.

no problems here either :) although, I updated to iOS5 before the rush started

my roomate had issues trying to update last night though. @ 9:00pm their servers were still getting pounded

always do the backup seperate and before the update that way you have a clean backup it isnt that hard , it took forever to get the update but once i had it , it was painless.

always do the backup seperate and before the update that way you have a clean backup it isnt that hard , it took forever to get the update but once i had it , it was painless.

oh and always keep a backup of your recent backup since itunes can be a cruel bitch.

always do the backup seperate and before the update that way you have a clean backup it isnt that hard

absolutely.

after having lost ALL of my contacts back in 08 (or so), I've always done this. It's easy to do and a good failsafe. I also make sure that I choose to sync my contacts and photos with windows contacts/pictures just in case the backup get's corrupted somehow.

Apps, music and video is easy to just re-sync to the device... contacts and pictures aren't easy to get back.

Even with icloud, I'll still be doing regular backups on my PC. I don't want to deal with that cluster-**** ever again.

No issues here other than the slow download. Upgraded an original iPad and iPhone 4. Tethered root w/ sn0wbreeze to keep the original baseband for an unlock.

I would give it a shot this morning -- the servers aren't being hammered as hard as they were in the first few hours after the release.

Yep, it bit me. I thought the backup in the update process was the backup I needed; but when I go to restore in iTunes it just wants to restore to factory defaults.

There go all my contacts. You've got to be kidding me.

How does upgrading in iTunes work with the old baseband? Doesn't iTunes produce an Error when it checks the baseband version? Do you just use Sn0wbreeze to kick it out of the error?

was a long night, the wife had to update itunes, which looks like it wiped old device backups, and of course ios5 wiped hers and everything on it....so all night guess what i got to hear about :)

I got the error 3200 as well. I just kept trying until it went through. The update will backup your device and then do a restore afterwards. The whole process took about 30 minutes for me (after about a hour or repeated attempts).

I suspect what's happening to a lot of people is they are retrying the update and not reading the warning message after it fails twice. If they update fails and you try again, and it fails again, it will pop up a message that says it couldn't backup your device and that continuing with the update will lose all of your date. I bet most people see the update/cancel buttons on this warning and hit update without reading the message. If you hit cancel then you can start the update process all over, including attempting to backup the device.

I was lucky enough to have yesterday off work, so I got everything done right as they released the OS mid-day. No issues for my iPhone 4 so far, although I hate all of these new programs/icons that I'll never use. If anything, I'd rather see them consolidate some of these programs instead of spinning every one of them off into its own app.

I was lucky enough to have yesterday off work, so I got everything done right as they released the OS mid-day. No issues for my iPhone 4 so far, although I hate all of these new programs/icons that I'll never use. If anything, I'd rather see them consolidate some of these programs instead of spinning every one of them off into its own app.

yeah, I sort of agree with you there. I just throw them all into a folder (or use sbsettings to hide the ones I'll never use... you can still run them from spotlight if you ever do need 'em)

Yep, it bit me. I thought the backup in the update process was the backup I needed; but when I go to restore in iTunes it just wants to restore to factory defaults.

There go all my contacts. You've got to be kidding me.

Ouch. Did you not sync your contacts with windows contacts? Have you done previous backups of your phone? You should be able to re-restore it from an older backup (under the dropdown list). You might need to replace a few of your contacts, but it's better than nothing.

Lesson learned. Do regular backups and make sure to sync your contacts with Windows contacts (you can enable it in itunes)... I can't stress that enough. Losing all of your numbers/emails BLOWS

My upgrade went very smoothly on my iPhone; it just took a long time (1 hour) to upgrade. The 10.7.2 update also took an hour to download. Has Apple ever heard of Akamai or another web accelerator? For a company that has billion upon billion in the bank, one would think that they would anticipate a ton of traffic and would of planned for it...

No issues here either other than updating to iTunes 10.5 took longer than the install...

Looks like people were having an ID 10 T errors.

I updated my iPod Touch 4th gen from 4.3.3 jailbroken. Hit an issue with error 3194, which mean that I had to disable a Cydia setting with the TinyUmbrella app. After that, everything is working out extremely well.

Now I'm waiting for the much anticipated untethered jailbreak, which has been alluded to quite a bit the last few days.

Been jail breaking since iOS 1.1, so I'm a firmware/backup veteran, but this iOS 5 was smooth as butter on my iPad 1.

I torrented the iOS 5 GM and restored from it rather than wait on the update verification slowdown, and I had no issues.

Have to update a 3GS tonight, and then my iPhone 4 once my favorite jailbreak apps are updated. Sucks though that I will have to wait for an unteather and my iPad 2 will be have to wait to be JB'd. :(

umm did notice a small issue just now, my custom ringtone, it is still present in the phone and itune, it is still set as the default ringtone but when my phone actually rings its one of the generic ones instead, anyone else running into this problem?

How does upgrading in iTunes work with the old baseband? Doesn't iTunes produce an Error when it checks the baseband version? Do you just use Sn0wbreeze to kick it out of the error?

What Snowbreeze or Pwnage tool does is leaves the baseband empty, so when you use iTunes to restore it, it keeps the original baseband.

Also you have to add a line to your hosts file so that it authenticates with a different server, and not Apple.

I got the error 3200 as well. I just kept trying until it went through. The update will backup your device and then do a restore afterwards. The whole process took about 30 minutes for me (after about a hour or repeated attempts).

I suspect what's happening to a lot of people is they are retrying the update and not reading the warning message after it fails twice. If they update fails and you try again, and it fails again, it will pop up a message that says it couldn't backup your device and that continuing with the update will lose all of your date. I bet most people see the update/cancel buttons on this warning and hit update without reading the message. If you hit cancel then you can start the update process all over, including attempting to backup the device.

Putting the phone in DFU mode gets around that problem.

Mine failed with general errors to restore and iTunes detected that my iPad was in recovery mode. I waited a few minutes and the black screen turned into a connect to iTunes picture. When I pressed the restore button in iTunes it restored everything.

I did a full sync and backup to iTunes before I started though. If you do that you might be better off.

Ps. I downloaded ios5 in 2 minutes flat last night, no trouble connecting to apple servers.

My iPod Touch had a fun yesterday... Few times 3200, then 1611, unusable iPod until they put the servers back, then 3014 and on xth try it finally gone through. Thanks god it is only a developer device (next to Desire HD and Omnia 7).

iPhone went smoothly.

iPad was troublesome but I didn't lose anything.

Had a couple of isses with being unable to reach the server, but ultimately worked just fine. Definitely liking the message center so far.

Ouch. Did you not sync your contacts with windows contacts? Have you done previous backups of your phone? You should be able to re-restore it from an older backup (under the dropdown list). You might need to replace a few of your contacts, but it's better than nothing.

Lesson learned. Do regular backups and make sure to sync your contacts with Windows contacts (you can enable it in itunes)... I can't stress that enough. Losing all of your numbers/emails BLOWS

No, didn't do Windows contact sync; considering that now! I assumed that the 'backing up iPhone' portion of the sync would capture all that. It very well might have, but I think what happened was after that sync the update process also does a backup. It looks like that backup overwrites the previous sync.

When I had issues during the update and restarted the process, I think it did ANOTHER backup on the updated phone that iTunes didn't know was updated/restored to 5.0 already, so it backed up empty contacts.

If I had done a right-click 'backup' before the process it would have created a separate backup and I probably would have been fine; I just didn't realize that the update backup overwrote the sync backup.

With so many avenues of social media these days I'll get back all the contacts that matter pretty quickly, just a pain in the ass.

The one silver lining? iPhone FINALLY has custom tones, so I was able to put my Dr. Horrible 'Bad Horse' tone on my text and VM notifications! That helped ease the pain:).

Back