RIM Investors Call for Sale, CEO Shake-up

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, where is that video of Mike Lazaridis whining "it's not fair" when you need it?

A growing mass of Research In Motion investors backs calls for a sale or break-up of the company that makes the BlackBerry smartphone and wants a new, "transformational leader" at its helm, according to a shareholder leading the drive for change.

*Update* found it. :D

Maybe they should start making Android phones. That should solve their problems.

is blackberry poorly run?

or is this greedy investors?

I know little to nothing about blackberry other than people who like it fucking love it and would marry it and make new half blackberry half human babies with them.

You have to figure at some buying RIM or Nokia is on Microsoft's mind. I think it's pretty clear that they don't want to make commodity hardware outside of gaming consoles since that doesn't put them in direct competition with the vast bulk of their OEM partners where phones would, but I think the day my come where if Microsoft wants to be a major player in phones they may have to. RIM's assests for now would be very valuable for Microsoft but my guess is that will tough it out another year at least and see where Windows 8 takes them as a couple of things could happen there. Assuming that Windows 8 will be the OS for everything, desktops, laptops and phones and assuming that Intel can come up with a good x86 platform for phones, Microsoft might be able to get back into the phone game.

Windows 8 is a true bet the company product as it looks like one core Windows for all devices is Microsoft's grand strategy and it's either going to be a great success and a huge failure. If it is the latter they'll need a Plan B and will have a lot less reluctance competing against their OEMs if they have no other options.

I really do not know if black berry has any cards to play. Really I cant think of any, they do not have any particular hardware component they have control over like samsung, sony, LG etc. They do not make computers and heavily used software so they do not have vertical integration advantages like microsoft. They do not have a search and advertising business to lean on like google, and they do not have a music / mp3 monopoly like apple. And finally they are just some Canadian company that does not have a strong link to manufacturing like say HTC and so on. The only thing they had was security and email support, well most people now days seem to not care at all about security on a phone and email support is already great on every phone and moving toward business integration.

So I ask what is it that RIM can do? If they go windows phone 7 or Android they are still going to die. And other than their patent library I cannot see a reason for M$ or Google to buy them. It is not like if M$ switches rim to WP7 everyone who is a BB customer will switch. If you completely change the OS you could just as easily switch to any OS.

So it seem Jaguar is right there is only one option for RIM sell out everything.

You have to figure at some buying RIM or Nokia is on Microsoft's mind. I think it's pretty clear that they don't want to make commodity hardware outside of gaming consoles since that doesn't put them in direct competition with the vast bulk of their OEM partners where phones would, but I think the day my come where if Microsoft wants to be a major player in phones they may have to. RIM's assests for now would be very valuable for Microsoft but my guess is that will tough it out another year at least and see where Windows 8 takes them as a couple of things could happen there. Assuming that Windows 8 will be the OS for everything, desktops, laptops and phones and assuming that Intel can come up with a good x86 platform for phones, Microsoft might be able to get back into the phone game.

Windows 8 is a true bet the company product as it looks like one core Windows for all devices is Microsoft's grand strategy and it's either going to be a great success and a huge failure. If it is the latter they'll need a Plan B and will have a lot less reluctance competing against their OEMs if they have no other options.

Issue is:

HTC dumped them in all but name.
Samsung won't be bought out (tied to govt, among many other things).

So, IMO, they need to buy out someone.

Issue is:

HTC dumped them in all but name.
Samsung won't be bought out (tied to govt, among many other things).

So, IMO, they need to buy out someone.

Hmmm, really? HTC and Samsung both have patent licensing agreements with Microsoft, and Samsung's agreement actually has them making more Windows Phones. And both HTC and Samsung are going to want Windows 8 to drive tablet sales, and now that Google is a phone maker, I imagine all Android phone and tablet makers want a second OS option. Not to mention that Windows 8 is probably going to be the OS core of the next major Windows Phone release.

If you are phone or tablet maker, you're going to end up doing business with Microsoft in 2012, on one or both fronts.

Hmmm, really? HTC and Samsung both have patent licensing agreements with Microsoft, and Samsung's agreement actually has them making more Windows Phones. And both HTC and Samsung are going to want Windows 8 to drive tablet sales, and now that Google is a phone maker, I imagine all Android phone and tablet makers want a second OS option. Not to mention that Windows 8 is probably going to be the OS core of the next major Windows Phone release.

If you are phone or tablet maker, you're going to end up doing business with Microsoft in 2012, on one or both fronts.

Patent lic. agreements... after being sued. More like a cross lic. out of court settlement. Even as Samsung was being sued by Apple, they still produced the A5. Companies aren't like children with tempers, lol :p Besides, HTC dropped WinMo in all but name after some of importance to a TW company was dropped in WinMo 6.x, and only very recently brought back in 7.5 ;)

Anyone in any higher end gov agency knows BB is the only supported phone for security reasons.

As fun and flexible as android seems to be, it's not as mature on an enterprise network as the BB which is RIM's bread and butter.

BB's are not targeted at kids/teens/20somethings. They are for business execs and people that cannot be away from their corp. email.

Patent lic. agreements... after being sued. More like a cross lic. out of court settlement. Even as Samsung was being sued by Apple, they still produced the A5. Companies aren't like children with tempers, lol :p Besides, HTC dropped WinMo in all but name after some of importance to a TW company was dropped in WinMo 6.x, and only very recently brought back in 7.5 ;)

Again, I have to stress the importance of Windows 8 in the tablet space. Samsung built the Windows 8 developer preview tablets and is about to launch the most powerful Windows 7 consumer slate to date, even surpassing the Asus EP121. And I've been hearing a rumor float around that several companies are going to start selling Windows 8 BETA tablets starting in January and that HTC is one of those companies. And Windows 8 will be the core of the next Windows Phones.

Sure there's a love hate thing going one here, but the bottom line is the bottom line. If Windows 8 can drive more sales, particularly tablet sales where Android isn't nearly the star that it is on phones at this point, at least for a while there will be some love.

This is what happens when you decide that your company has the market share and can't lose it so why do anything to fend off competition.

Anyone in any higher end gov agency knows BB is the only supported phone for security reasons.

As fun and flexible as android seems to be, it's not as mature on an enterprise network as the BB which is RIM's bread and butter.

BB's are not targeted at kids/teens/20somethings. They are for business execs and people that cannot be away from their corp. email.

The problem with this is more and more business execs are wanting to have iPhones and Android phones and they are the ones who make decisions. They are litterally forcing companies to move over. So you cannot ignore the general population which is what BB is doing be it on purpose or not. Eventually the fun device will gain utility through applications that big execs allocate money to develop so they can use the fun phone. And yes that is already happening in various companies.

The problem with this is more and more business execs are wanting to have iPhones and Android phones and they are the ones who make decisions. They are litterally forcing companies to move over. So you cannot ignore the general population which is what BB is doing be it on purpose or not. Eventually the fun device will gain utility through applications that big execs allocate money to develop so they can use the fun phone. And yes that is already happening in various companies.

yup.

This is what happens when you decide that your company has the market share and can't lose it so why do anything to fend off competition.

I do not think BB is this kind of company. The facts are far more sad, they are trying to do things but they cant do anything because they have nothing more to leverage. They have tried to develop funner phones they have tried everything. There is not much a BB phone cant do. But they do not have money pouring in from other businesses to help them. The other major players do, M$ has billions ready for WP7 from their OS business, Apple has billions from their mp3 player business, and google has billions from their search business. On top of that each of those players has other major products to drive their drive interest in their phones. I use an android phone because google has the best mail and calendar and the integration is real good. BB has nothing they just make phones with good security and no one outside of business cares. It is not for lack of effort they just litterally are the unlucky company that has no good vertical integration on their side.

Unless security is important.
iPhones and Androids are not good enough for highly secured environments. This is the one place that BB still holds the keys. There are also companies that have built secure applications that run on BB's that will not be easy/cheap to move to another platform. This might be enough of a reason for someone like Microsoft to RIM to get the tech/patents to migrate this level of security/apps to a new phone software.

Back