Secret Orders Target Wikileaks Backer's Email

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Wall Street Journal says that the government has obtained a controversial type of secret court order forcing Google to turn over information from the email accounts of a WikiLeaks volunteer.

The court clashes in the WikiLeaks case provide a rare public window into the growing debate over a federal law that lets the government secretly obtain information from people's email and cellphones without a search warrant. Several court decisions have questioned whether the law, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, violates the U.S. Constitution's Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches and seizures.

How would Google know the IP addresses of the recipients of these emails to comply to the court order?
I thought all Google could see was the email alias and domain name of the recipient's email system.
The recipient's IP addresses are usually unknown, unless the recipient is also a gmail customer, or they are using IM, right?

I suspect the U.S. government will not find much useful stuff in gmail, I hope any person involved in Tor and Wikileaks is not using U.S. based email systems for such correspondence.

Back