8 Hurt in Fire at Intel Plant in Chandler, Az.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the second time in the last four months, the Intel Plant in Chandler, Arizona has been plagued by fires accidentally set by welders. A total of 15 people have been injured from both fires this year. Local fire officials blamed incorrectly overclocked welding rigs for the blazes. :D Thanks to ICE_9 for the linkage.

In June, seven people were injured at the when a flash fire started inside of the plant’s solvent-collection room.

Seriously they should just shut down plant for a few days while maintenance work is taking place...

I love journalism these days... no pictures ... blog style done...

Seriously, how about some pictures, maybe a video?

Seriously they should just shut down plant for a few days while maintenance work is taking place...

You do realize they're building an entire new fab there, right? Not to mention revamping one and ramping up a new technology? It's mostly the construction workers who are creating the most problems. Intel is very strict on its safety for sure.

We need video to hear if the fire alarms were going off or not!! Seemed like an important point in the "Fire at Foxconn Plant" thread.. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1639197

Anyone else notice the complete lack of fire alarms / sirens during the video?

08ef48e3-8787-41ee-ae7b-9a20c68de4b7.jpg

You do realize they're building an entire new fab there, right? Not to mention revamping one and ramping up a new technology? It's mostly the construction workers who are creating the most problems. Intel is very strict on its safety for sure.

As an electrician that has worked in intel plants I can tell you some things about their safety. Yes they want safety, and they are head and shoulders above Atmel, and LSI logic (2 other plants I have installed tools in.) However, if it becomes a decision between shutting down part of the plant or if the work is getting done slower than they would like then intel starts to put the pressure on. When people get rushed accidents happen. When intel tells contractor A that hey if you don't get this tool installed by this date we will get another contractor for the next tool the contractor goes and tells thier employees to put some urgency into it.

Of course it is the construction workers fault, the intel employees arn't welding in there. But I also know what it is like to work under intel's guns and it can be stressful. I have seen acytline cylinders explode (well not explode but the neck broke off and a huge flame shot out for about 30 min) in the sub-fab at an intel plant due to guys carrying the bottles by the necks instead of the bottle cart. Let me tell you how scarry that is, just imagine all the deadly chemicals being carried through clear PVC pipe, and what would happen if they melted through.

The point I am making is yes these guys are at fault, however, we don't know if this is just worker's cutting corners because they are lazy or if it is because intel was breathing down their necks.

To the guy who said they should just shut stuff down... that never happens. I have pulled wire into gear with anywhere from 480V all the way up to 4KV in it while it was energized at many chip plants because they refuse to impact production. To be fair to intel they were the most willing to shut equipment off for us, and reqired us to use hot-work suits to pull the wire when shutting down was not feasable. A fab never shuts down. But, Atmel, and LSI could give a shit.

Back