AT&T Customers Getting $60 for Xbox Live Gold Membership

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, now that AT&T is partnered with Microsoft for TV content on the Xbox 360, the company is giving out a $60 credit to its U-verse members to use on an Xbox Live Gold membership.

Too damn funny considering AT&T switched to a metered service for internet. One of the reasons I switched to Time Warner, witch was kinda lucky because I didn't know TW was switching to DOCSIS 3 :p

The bill credit is a nice gesture, but they're basically forcing people to subscribe to the xbox live service. That's pretty shady as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think they're requiring people to have Xbox Live, this looks like a notice that would be sent to someone that would have subscribed to the U-verse Live service.

Notice at the end it says that if you don't want to use the U-verse Live service then they'll revert you back to using the set-top box.

I am a current Uverse subscriber and use my 360 as a setop box. It is a very nice way to use Uverse and works almost flawlessly. I am very happy that they are crediting me the first year of of golf membership. Seriously though, who uses an xbox 360 and doesn't already have xbox live? I bet the % of people that fall in that category is miniscule. And furthermore, paying the xbox live yearly fee is still less than paying the $10/month fee for another setop box anyway - plus you get the benefits of a live membership. People complaining about this are just complaining for the sake of having something to complain about.

I have a 360 without a Gold Membership, and I am also a Uverse customer. However, I didn't see enough benefit to use my 360 as a receiver,and now I am very glad I didn't.

I just don't use the 360 very much to justify the yearly fee.

I am a current Uverse subscriber and use my 360 as a setop box. It is a very nice way to use Uverse and works almost flawlessly. I am very happy that they are crediting me the first year of of golf membership. Seriously though, who uses an xbox 360 and doesn't already have xbox live? I bet the % of people that fall in that category is miniscule. And furthermore, paying the xbox live yearly fee is still less than paying the $10/month fee for another setop box anyway - plus you get the benefits of a live membership. People complaining about this are just complaining for the sake of having something to complain about.

Well I'm sure the Consumerist site will be filled with all sort of emo-rage of this, as it is about everything else.

I have a 360 without a Gold Membership, and I am also a Uverse customer. However, I didn't see enough benefit to use my 360 as a receiver,and now I am very glad I didn't.

I just don't use the 360 very much to justify the yearly fee.

But were you using the 360 as a set-top box in the first place?

Well I'm sure the Consumerist site will be filled with all sort of emo-rage of this, as it is about everything else.

Complaining never ends for some people, I am happy one of my bills will be 60 bucks cheaper for something I already had! :)

Wrong. Plenty of people have an Xbox 360 and don't have Gold for every console in their home, ESPECIALLY people who were using the Xbox 360 as a receiver for TV. If Gold covered all the Xboxs in your house that would be one thing, but it doesn't. You're going to have to have a Gold account for every Xbox that's going to be watching TV at the same time now.

I only had 1 Gold account awhile back and used to have to transfer my gamertag onto a memory card, carry it to another Xbox in another room, plug the memory card in, then turn it on before anybody could use it for Netflix, then when they were done turn it off, remove memory card (and if you do any of these steps out of order it corrupted the gamertag and I had to go through the whole recover your gamertag procedure), return it to the other xbox in the other room for when I wanted to use it for Netflix. I don't really play any games online except MMOs, so I was paying for Live purely for Netflix up until the Boxee Box came out. Good thing I never went to Uverse anyway. (limited to 1-2 HD streams simultaneously just isn't enough for my house)

I feel sorry for the people that have AT&T internet service of ANY type.

Where I work, we are working on getting rid of out lame external/guest U-verse line.

Their service is the absolute worst I have ever seen.. uptime is fine, but anytime I have tried to call them the wait times are 1 hour or longer.

The other horrid thing is that they do the installs for pretty much all business lines.. such as T1s, DS3, etc in our area...

We ordered a bonded T1 from a 3rd party at the end of July... and AT&T just came this Wednesday and installed the line.

And we are also upgrading our WAN line... AT&T came out.. installed the new line.. and then when the company we are actually buying the service from came out, they couldn't get anything to work.... the AT&T tech.. who actually seems to know what he is doing, double checked it and found out that there is something wrong with it.. and so know they are "working on fixing it"... the upgrade line was ordered over a month ago.. and it is still not working.. thanks AT&T.

And no.. T1s were not my choice... they are WAY overpriced.. but that is what we have to go with.. from corporate.

What would be nice is if I could record shows with teh 360 and port them over to my pc, UNLIKE I can do now with that stupid explorer box.

Wrong. Plenty of people have an Xbox 360 and don't have Gold for every console in their home, ESPECIALLY people who were using the Xbox 360 as a receiver for TV. If Gold covered all the Xboxs in your house that would be one thing, but it doesn't. You're going to have to have a Gold account for every Xbox that's going to be watching TV at the same time now.

I only had 1 Gold account awhile back and used to have to transfer my gamertag onto a memory card, carry it to another Xbox in another room, plug the memory card in, then turn it on before anybody could use it for Netflix, then when they were done turn it off, remove memory card (and if you do any of these steps out of order it corrupted the gamertag and I had to go through the whole recover your gamertag procedure), return it to the other xbox in the other room for when I wanted to use it for Netflix. I don't really play any games online except MMOs, so I was paying for Live purely for Netflix up until the Boxee Box came out. Good thing I never went to Uverse anyway. (limited to 1-2 HD streams simultaneously just isn't enough for my house)

actually, you fit into my explanation and you,yourself are wrong. You paid for live service to use an aspect of the xbox. You dont say you have uverse and dont have any relevant information to uverse subscribers and those that use their console for a set top box. In fact you fail to add relevant information to the article at all. The fact that an Xbox live gold membership is required still is cheaper per year(even per Xbox) than paying the monthly fee for a setop box. Plus you get the added benefits of the Xbox live service.

Back