Intel, CinemaNow Gives PCs a Front Row Seat to HD Movie Content

HardOCP News

[H] News
CinemaNow, Best Buy's digital entertainment service, and Intel Corporation are giving people the ability to enjoy a larger library of premium high-definition content on their PCs. For the first time, CinemaNow will offer 1080p HD movies for rental and purchase on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor-based PCs with Intel® Insider™ technology. Previously, only standard-definition movies had been available from CinemaNow on the PC. CinemaNow has now added several hundred new releases and popular catalog titles in HD from 20th Century Fox1 and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution for people who have Intel Insider on their desktop, laptop or Ultrabook™.

That is great. :) I remember testing Cinemanow client when I worked for the "Exclusive Brands" Department over at BBY HQ in Richfield. It was streaming HD content to the blu-ray players without any issues. Glad to see the PC getting some love.

Anyone know how CinemaNow compares to Netflix?

Subtitled/Captioned streaming? DVD/Blu-ray service? Cost?

Anyone know how CinemaNow compares to Netflix?

Subtitled/Captioned streaming? DVD/Blu-ray service? Cost?

I am wondering this as well. I am running out of things to watch on Netflix. Not much new on it on their streaming side.

CinemaNow just streams

they have no DVD/Blu-ray physical media for renting. The other thing, it is not an all you can eat buffet like netflix. Think of it more like VoD from cable, pay to watch (either rent or purchase).

CinemanNow does do day and date release with the DVD/Blu-ray.

CinemaNow just streams

they have no DVD/Blu-ray physical media for renting. The other thing, it is not an all you can eat buffet like netflix. Think of it more like VoD from cable, pay to watch (either rent or purchase).

CinemanNow does do day and date release with the DVD/Blu-ray.

As do lots of other services. I dont think other services offer 1080p though, but I could be wrong.

I am wondering this as well. I am running out of things to watch on Netflix. Not much new on it on their streaming side.

They just got Tron Legacy, which I've watched 4-5 times in the background just for the audio and the occasional visuals.

As do lots of other services. I dont think other services offer 1080p though, but I could be wrong.

The other services, netflix specifically have a cool down period after Bluray/DVD release. 6 months I think.

I think CinemaNow is the first to stream 1080p content that is not VoD via Cable or Sat. CinemaNow did not support 1080p. At best it was 480p.

Back