Facebook Launches A Universal Translator

HardOCP News

[H] News
Considering the fact that most of the people that post on your Facebook wall are your friends, I'm not sure how popular a built-in translator will be, but I guess it can't hurt.

Last night we launched a new translation tool that enables people to translate posts directly inline on Facebook Pages through Bing Translate. With this service, it will be even easier for people to enjoy public Page content on Facebook regardless of the languages that they know. If a comment is posted in another language, you'll see a "translate" button.

universal_translator.jpg

Well, people do have relatives in foreign countries that may have a hard time understanding what you're saying. I know I do.

I have a lot of Thai friends, things that they post is often wiritten for them, or if it is in english the comments may be in Thai. I'd have to check this out but tbh in the rear chance that I'd care to read something not for me, Chrome usually offers to translate the page for me already

Well, people do have relatives in foreign countries that may have a hard time understanding what you're saying. I know I do.
Most of the time it is because they are using local street slang that translators do not convert, unless you know the slang or have someone explain it universal translators do not work well.

when they tell you in another language your mom was making sexual relations with a furry four legged animal. it is never spelled out that clearly.

dam, i was gonna ask about Klingon, but Insula Gilliganis achieved the Star Trek quota for this thread :rolleyes:

Considering the fact that most of the people that post on your Facebook wall are your friends, I'm not sure how popular a built-in translator will be, but I guess it can't hurt.

I "liked" quite a few Facebook sites that caters to a diversity of people worldwide, like Antec or AMD or even political sites and world news sites. So I see quite a few foreign languages in some of the comments.

Chrome translate foreign websites for me automatically. I wouldn't mind Facebook doing the same thing as long as it gives you the option to see the original transcript like Chrome does.

Prediction: WW3 is started when Facebook automatically mis-translates a Whitehouse post. I see plenty of opportunity in a post about SMART treaties...

Whitehouse: Obama today pushes Senate to end the risk of nuclear war and sign pact with Russia against nuclear arms.

Facebook Russian translation: Obama today pushes Senate to sign pact to end Russia with nuclear arms to end the risk of nuclear war.

Prediction: WW3 is started when Facebook automatically mis-translates a Whitehouse post. I see plenty of opportunity in a post about SMART treaties...

Whitehouse: Obama today pushes Senate to end the risk of nuclear war and sign pact with Russia against nuclear arms.

Facebook Russian translation: Obama today pushes Senate to sign pact to end Russia with nuclear arms to end the risk of nuclear war.

Azhar likes this!

BRB, restocking my basement and getting my Faraday cage out of storage!

Back