Xbox 360 Teams Up With Entertainment Leaders to Transform TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new era in television begins this holiday where your entertainment becomes instantly searchable, easily discoverable and enjoyable in extraordinary new ways from a single device — Xbox 360. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced plans to roll out the next generation of TV entertainment on Xbox LIVE, the online entertainment service for Xbox 360. Nearly 40 world-leading TV and entertainment providers, including Bravo, Comcast, HBO GO, Verizon FiOS and Syfy in the U.S.; BBC in the U.K., Telefónica in Spain; Rogers On Demand in Canada; Televisa in Mexico; ZDF in Germany; and MediaSet in Italy, will begin rolling out entertainment services to the console this holiday, in more than 20 countries.

the next gen is channel lineups that have been available for years via what is essentially a variation of a set top box which has been available in one format or another for decades???

gee.. there's some forward thinking there.

If I had the attention span to read all that I might know what the cost is. Have they mentioned price yet?

add the cost of an xbox live gold account on top of what ever you pay for the services individually. Game consoles are for playinng games,

from what i have read, there is only the requirement for XBL gold and you have to have both internet service AND some sort of TV service from your carrier who has to have a deal with microsoft.

so after you are already paying through the nose for stuff there are no additonal costs.
but neither are you actually getting anything that you are not already getting... you're just getting it on your xbox is all.... big whooop...
the only advantage i can see is that if you dont want to spend the dough on an additional STB, this may fill that void without any additional costs.
other than that... this is all hype no substance

Yeah I don't get this at all. Why don't they make it where I can pay a couple bucks for maybe just HBO Go or showtime. Why would I want to sign a deal with a cable company just to watch shows on my Xbox. Am I missing something here?

from what i have read, there is only the requirement for XBL gold and you have to have both internet service AND some sort of TV service from your carrier who has to have a deal with microsoft.

so after you are already paying through the nose for stuff there are no additonal costs.
but neither are you actually getting anything that you are not already getting... you're just getting it on your xbox is all.... big whooop...
the only advantage i can see is that if you dont want to spend the dough on an additional STB, this may fill that void without any additional costs.
other than that... this is all hype no substance

So essentially we will hit out B/W caps faster by using the Xbox to watch something we are already paying for from our providers. This is awesome, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I dropped to basic cable because I don't watch enough TV but need it to get internet; if I could pay for just Xbox Live Gold ($60/year) and get VOD or content from a few of the good channels without having to pay my cable company more then it might be worth it to have Live Gold.

Since MS raised the price of Gold $10 you'd think that perhaps that increase could be to cover TV costs and to provide that service as a part of Live without having to buy more crap.

I'm sure that won't happen. You'll probably be required to have at least extended TV service with your provider to be given the ability to view anything.

Yeah, how is this 'tranforming' TV? If you check into the story a bit more you find you have to have a paid cable subscription already for this to work so if anything, it's more cost on top of what you're already paying. For a better idea of what this actually is, check out the article on DSLreports about it.

I don't get MS. If they would figure out a way to help 'cord cutters' get access to channels without a cable subscription their sales would skyrocket. I know I'd go out and buy an XBox for every TV in my house.

I dropped to basic cable because I don't watch enough TV but need it to get internet; if I could pay for just Xbox Live Gold ($60/year) and get VOD or content from a few of the good channels without having to pay my cable company more then it might be worth it to have Live Gold.

Since MS raised the price of Gold $10 you'd think that perhaps that increase could be to cover TV costs and to provide that service as a part of Live without having to buy more crap.

I'm sure that won't happen. You'll probably be required to have at least extended TV service with your provider to be given the ability to view anything.

I never paid over 35usd for a renewal card... just look around for one. Around 45usd, and I'd bite.

Though, TBH, while this does establish some relations between MS and content providers, I do admit, it seems kinda useless...

Yeah I don't get this at all. Why don't they make it where I can pay a couple bucks for maybe just HBO Go or showtime. Why would I want to sign a deal with a cable company just to watch shows on my Xbox. Am I missing something here?

I called the cable company to order JUST HBO and HBO go. They said I had to have a $60/mo TV package just to be eligible to sign up and pay more for HBO. They must not like money for some reason.

Who cares. The cable providers will just impede someway. I should be getting ESPN 3 but since I do not have cable tv with Time Warner and only internet, they block me streaming access.

As long as they don't mess with the CableLab ruling that allows homemade HTPC with CableCARD in Windows 7 Media Center I don't care about television on the Xbox.

So glad I sold my xbox for some cash.

Totally didnt like what they were turning that thing into.

Ever since they started the cartoon avatar shit I was done.

To be honest I've been thinking of dropping my gold subscription. Live in the UK isnt very good value at all and this isnt really enough to address that.

Yeah, how is this 'tranforming' TV? If you check into the story a bit more you find you have to have a paid cable subscription already for this to work so if anything, it's more cost on top of what you're already paying. For a better idea of what this actually is, check out the article on DSLreports about it.

I don't get MS. If they would figure out a way to help 'cord cutters' get access to channels without a cable subscription their sales would skyrocket. I know I'd go out and buy an XBox for every TV in my house.
Yep. I was looking forward to this update until I read the same. So if you are not a cable/fios TV subscriber your getting nothing in this update. If you are, you can watch a few select channels that your already paying for and already have access to.

I thought this was pointless until I realized that I've been watching old HBO series on my phone at night...

Soon we'll be able to watch them on our TV! I only made it through the first half of Game of Thrones before they removed it from on demand. Looks like I'll soon be able to catch up on a bigger screen. :thumbsup

Back