Physicists to Develop New Way of Electronic Computing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Roland Kawakami, professor of physics and astronomy at UC Riverside, received a $1.85M grant to develop a new way of computing that speeds up applications that process large amounts of data. Very interesting stuff.

The goal of the project is to speed up applications that process large amounts of data such as internet searching, data compression, and image recognition. “Conventional silicon electronics will soon face its ultimate limits,” said Roland Kawakami, a professor of physics and astronomy and the four-year grant’s principal investigator. “Our approach is to utilize the spin degree of freedom to store and process information, which will allow the functions of logic and memory to be fully integrated into a single chip.”

$1.85M to try to figure out a way to do it though is hardly newsworthy though. I'm sure other schools get grants to figure other shit out as well.

According to a relative of mine (isn't it always ;) ) with a lot of ties in Silicon Valley, quantum computing isn't nearly as far away as most people think. His question was, a bit mundane at first, but not really - when quantum computing leaps processing power forward exponentially, what will we do for passwords when a current "strong" password can be broken in seconds or minutes? Users can barely remember 8 digit passwords, what about 32 digit?

According to a relative of mine (isn't it always ;) ) with a lot of ties in Silicon Valley, quantum computing isn't nearly as far away as most people think. His question was, a bit mundane at first, but not really - when quantum computing leaps processing power forward exponentially, what will we do for passwords when a current "strong" password can be broken in seconds or minutes? Users can barely remember 8 digit passwords, what about 32 digit?

MyPasswords.txt

If "secure" sites allow brute force password attacks, increases in processing power will make passwords irrelevant. Many sites have triggers to not allow this. (I think, but I might be wrong) On [H] when I've cleared my cookies and forgot which of my typical forum passwords I used here - it only lets me try five password attempts and then makes me wait 15 minutes before I can try again. It also e-mails me to let me know someone tried to enter a password 5 times. So all quantum computing in this case would do is allow them to guess 5 times really, really fast and then be locked out from trying any more passwords for 15 minutes while I am alerted that someone is trying to access my account. :D

On other sites, if I miss enter my password a certain number of times, I have to reset it and they either e-mail me a reset link and ask me some secret questions along with some impossible character recongnition, or they text me a code to my cell phone to reset it. My financial institutions that I deal with online will not auto-reset passwords, I have to call them on the phone.

Interesting concept, hopefully something actually comes from it.

Roland Kawakami, professor of physics and astronomy at UC Riverside, received a $1.85M grant to develop a new way of computing that speeds up applications that process large amounts of data. Very interesting stuff.

hey this is cool. i go to this school right now! and $1.85M is not that much for a grant, other professors in our biochemistry department gets more grants than that. and the research company i use to work at eats up around $2M per month.

“Bringing these two results together, we find that graphene is the most promising material for developing magnetologic gates in terms of high speed, low energy usage, and operation at room temperature,” Kawakami said.

GRAPHENE! :cool:

Either a biological key such as a finger print reader or hardware solutions such as the RSA keys or a USB key seems the next logical step, maybe a combination of both.

If "secure" sites allow brute force password attacks, increases in processing power will make passwords irrelevant. Many sites have triggers to not allow this. (I think, but I might be wrong) On [H] when I've cleared my cookies and forgot which of my typical forum passwords I used here - it only lets me try five password attempts and then makes me wait 15 minutes before I can try again. It also e-mails me to let me know someone tried to enter a password 5 times. So all quantum computing in this case would do is allow them to guess 5 times really, really fast and then be locked out from trying any more passwords for 15 minutes while I am alerted that someone is trying to access my account. :D

On other sites, if I miss enter my password a certain number of times, I have to reset it and they either e-mail me a reset link and ask me some secret questions along with some impossible character recongnition, or they text me a code to my cell phone to reset it. My financial institutions that I deal with online will not auto-reset passwords, I have to call them on the phone.

I'm actually surprised you're bank doesn't take stronger measures. I forgot my banking password once shortly after I added online banking a while back and I had to go down to the bank and present photo id to reset my password. Inconvenient, but pretty darn secure.

I'm actually surprised you're bank doesn't take stronger measures. I forgot my banking password once shortly after I added online banking a while back and I had to go down to the bank and present photo id to reset my password. Inconvenient, but pretty darn secure.

My credit union is the same way. If you get your password wrong a 3 times they lock the online account.

“Bringing these two results together, we find that graphene is the most promising material for developing magnetologic gates in terms of high speed, low energy usage, and operation at room temperature,” Kawakami said.

GRAPHENE! :cool:

+1. The only reason I clicked on the comments link for this story was because I saw "Graphene" in the image.

First, new computing, then... SPACE ELEVATOR!!!

I don't think the issue will be as much with online sites, because creating a limit is fairly simple - and damn well better be in place everywhere. But what about hacked and leaked databases, encrypted files, etc?

Back