Hotmail Wants To Be Hip Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hotmail wants to be hip again? What does that even mean? Seriously, the stuff this guy is saying sounds really good but does anyone even use Hotmail any more?

Making money directly from Hotmail "is not the most important thing for us to optimize for," Jones said in an interview. "The lesson from some of the most successful Internet companies is they build something valuable and durable." That is a notion, Jones said, that Microsoft learned from a rival, Google, and from a partner, Facebook. It is not conventional wisdom for Microsoft, which makes most of its revenue from software sold for hundreds of dollars a package in brick-and-mortar stores.

I do, lol. But then again, it's part of my old MSN account back when they had dial up, and part of my current XBL account. Also linked to my WP7 Focus, come to think of it...

I use it, but then I've had the account since 1998.

It sucks, but no more than anything else I guess.

I dont even know if I would say it sucks.

it works pretty freakin well

Always seems to have loading issues, have to click refresh all the time. That and all the spam (no worse than anything else though).
On the plus side I have my actual name@hotmail for the address, so it's nice and memorable for people.

I use it whenever I need to make a free xblox live gold trial account.

if they want to be hip again they need to change name to hawtmail.com ;)

hotmail account here, but dont really use it since i have my own email domain.

works fine anytime i had had to use it.

I use it and it works better than gmail, have used it for at least 10 years it does more now than it ever has. I use skydrive all the time and also access my pc thru my phone with mesh thru it as well

Uhhh, Steve. Last I checked it has over 4 times the userbase as GMail.

So yeah, I'd say a lot of people still use it.

The only reason I still use it is because I have POP access with it.

However, it does filter out way too many e-mails without telling me. Steam activation e-mails are one notable example.

I'v always used hotmail, never once had a problem or an issue, their spam filter is really nice

I just use it as a filter to find out whether or not I want to do business with a web site. If I find that they continually spam it then I just send all their emails to junk.

I thought Hotmail already became "Windows LIVE mail" or something a few years ago?

I have a Hotmail address that dates back to the 90s. I use it for MSN messenger (via pidgin) and as a junk email I give out to places that I know are going to spam the shit out of me.

The only reason I still use it is because I have POP access with it.

However, it does filter out way too many e-mails without telling me. Steam activation e-mails are one notable example.

How does one fix this?

Also I like hotmail, especially when my account was hacked (stupidity on my part) and they got it fixed in UNDER an hour.

I use it only as a temp live.com email addy, for this forum for instance, and also as my LiveID, or for Messenger, and for the free SkyDrive storage. I regularly delete every single sent or received email from this account to keep it clean.
It's still a bit confusing to me that since the integration into Windows Live, Hotmail serves 2 different hotmail and live domains. The power of the brand names, I guess.

I use both Gmail and Hotmail all the time. Hotmail to me is better at spam filtering.

Hotmail account dates back to 90's and now only used for MSN messenger.
It was a free/easy way to keep the same e-mail address when changing ISPs.

hotmail won't be hip unless it matches gmail feature for feature.

gmail makes all free webmail look gimped

My old Hotmail account is used as a junk email account now. Since I signed up for Gmail, I just use my Hotmail to sign up for stuff I don't care to get emails about for the most part.

I still use my hotmail as my main since it was my first email, then gmail for etc and for my phone

Never used hotmail but have had a yahoo account since they took over geocities back in the day. Spam filtering is pretty decent.

Got a gmail account for when I was tutoring some online college classes. The amount of spam it gets is ridiculous, like 99.9%.

So I'll stick with yahoo, won't dis hotmail if that's what you prefer. Seriously, over numerous ISP changes, my yahoo addy has been one thing I can count on. :) I don't think of either as being "hip" but they are dependable.

I use hotmail all the time. It was my second email account and its lasted longer than my first. I used it for chatting in high school and it was just convenient to link everything to it since I use it all the time. I've been contemplating moving to a gmail account or buying my own domain. With Windows Live Mail I've been using it more and more, especially with their calendar feature that automatically emails you about events.

Alot of people use hotmail and may not know it.

I have a live account, which is also dun dun na na, a HOTMAIL account. Hotmail protocol is what live mail uses.

I love hotmail. It's spam filter is pretty decent. I've been using it for years and years. The features they keep adding to make organizing your inbox easier, add functionality, etc just keep getting better and better. When they changed the UI, 2 years ago or so I was shocked a bit at first because I had been using probably the original interface for 8 years. The new interface grows on you thought and is quite intuitive.

Best part is, there's virtually no downtime as far as I'm aware. I think there has only been one occasion on which I was unable to access my email address which was at like 4:00am one time. I'm pretty sure they must backup my account across multiple servers so when maintenance is being done, my info is still accessible. Fortunate enough to have realname @ hotmail address too.

At least it's spam filter is more effective than Yahoo's, I know that everything in my inbox is something I allowed, and the spam is complete crap I can just dump.

Back