Supreme Court Refuses To Rule On Game Industry's $1.4M Attorney Fees

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the U.S. Supreme Court has declined to rule on a request by the gaming industry for attorney fees. Now they'll have to spend more money on attorneys to recover the $1.4M in attorney fees already owed to them. :rolleyes:

The U.S. Supreme Court today declined to rule on a request by the video game industry for $1.4 million in attorneys' fees tied to the landmark video game freedom of speech decision earlier this year, opting instead to kick the request down to the circuit courts.

It sets an interesting precedent if the courts rule in favor of the industry and where it would be applied after that.

Sadly they will never get the money back.

Happily they will never get the money back.

I'm sorry $1.4M on attorney fees? Fucking please. If they did pay that much, it's there fucking only problem.

This is the cost of doing business in the US. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

Sounds like they got a bargain honestly. Lawyers demand at least 100k per year and honestly they deserve it for the years of school they go through. I'm very surprised the total fees aren't higher especially considering the number of trials (going all the way up to the supreme court is a lot of work and requires a damn good lawyer).

This is the cost of doing business in the US. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

No wonder the US economy is in such a great shape.

Core business values have been hijacked by lawyers and the financial industry middle-men who siphon off the wealth from the productive economy. While lawyers and financing have a role to play, in the US they have become detriment to overall social prosperity. Every one wants to make a buck of the other instead of creating long lasting value.

Sounds like they got a bargain honestly. Lawyers demand at least 100k per year and honestly they deserve it for the years of school they go through. I'm very surprised the total fees aren't higher especially considering the number of trials (going all the way up to the supreme court is a lot of work and requires a damn good lawyer).

I was going to say the same thing. I'm surprised that 6 years of this cost them so little.

Hopefully its won in the lower court.

Yeah the Supreme court didn't want to uphold it because if they did. It'd open up the floodgates for other Corporations/industries with "similar" cases to start lawsuits to recover costs.

$1.4 million to a corporation isn't that much, ultimately they'll win. Just not in the Highest possible court is what's trying to be prevented.

This is standard procedure. Because this was a civil rights case (it was a free speech question), the lawyers are entitled to fees from California. Groups like ACLU and Pacific Legal Foundation would not be able to bring cases like this if they weren't going to get paid.

SCOTUS didn't rule but kicked it down to the state because that's just too trivial for them to be bothered with.

Back