China Launches Module for Space Station

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Chinese launched a boxcar-sized experimental space station module into orbit 217 miles above the Earth on Thursday. The experimental station is to be used for two years as a testing module for docking practice preparing for the launch of the actual space station in 2020.

At about 60 tons when completed, the Chinese station will be considerably smaller than the 16-nation ISS, which is expected to continue operating through 2028.

Damn it, not only they currently have the monopoly of rare earths, but soon they will mine all of it from the Moon and Mars too! ^-^ Go China!

This should have been labeled the: "We're All Gonna Die!!!!!" story of the day, lol.

Damn it, not only they currently have the monopoly of rare earths, but soon they will mine all of it from the Moon and Mars too! ^-^ Go China!

From Wiki:
China now produces over 97% of the world's rare earth supply, mostly in Inner Mongolia, even though it has only 37% of proven reserves.
My assumption is that once it becomes profitable to produce in other places again, we'll start producing REE in other places. This could be sooner rather than later as China is talking about limiting production.

In fact, it looks like Mountain Pass Mine in California is supposed to be back up to full production sometime this year.

Chinese spacestation loses air supply due to pirated software. News at 11.

Mission Control to Foxconn 1, come in Foxconn 1. We show an open airlock. Please confirm.
Affirmative Mission Control. We have a jumper, I repeat, we have a jumper. We've also had several Li-ion batteries explode. What's worse is we've been locked out of the pirated mission critical software. Please advise.
This is Mission Control, we advise you join the jumper.

Nice to see we've helped build the Chinese Space Station
with trade imbalance and NAFTA $2 dollar an hour jobs.

No worries. Given typical Chinese build quality, I'll be surprised if it even makes it up there.

Back