Gears of War 3 Sells 3 Million in First Week

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Gears of War 3 would certainly qualify as a game going out with a bang. The first week sales totaled more than three million copies for the final installment of the series.

“Gears of War 3 has set the bar as the top game launch of the year, kicking off the biggest holiday in Xbox history with a bang,” a Microsoft spokesperson told VentureBeat.

I can only image what they are saying over there.:D

imrich.jpg

Yeah Microsoft, so I guess it wouldn't kill you to release 2/3 on the PC eh? Still worried PC sales will hurt the sales for your precious closed Xbox eco-system? :rolleyes:

Yeah Microsoft, so I guess it wouldn't kill you to release 2/3 on the PC eh? Still worried PC sales will hurt the sales for your precious closed Xbox eco-system? :rolleyes:

Considering how well the first played on the PC, would you want them to?

Does the game have any replay value? I mean, BF3 comes out this month, then MW3 and all the other November releases. I wonder if anyone will return to play it. With $180 million in the bank, Epic probably doesn't care.

Does the game have any replay value?

Yes. If you're like me and completed the campaign on Normal difficulty, you can always replay on Hardcore or Insane. The normal campaign can also be played with up to 3 friends. There is an Arcade campaign mode where you and up to 3 friends earn "points" throughout the campaign too.

Horde is lots of fun. Up to 50 waves of co-op fun, with some RTS elements (building fortifications, turrets, etc. by earning money from killing bad guys).

Beast is also pretty interesting, where you play as the bad guys and get to pick from all the different types (wretches, tickers, drones and even Berserkers) although I wish there were more than 12 waves.

I suck at Versus but that is another option. There are several modes like Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, Wingman, etc.

I'm really having a lot of fun with the game and I'm glad I bought it. The BF3 demo is not impressing me as much as I hoped, and I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up MW3 so this is going to be holding me over for a while.

I loved Gears 1...and then 6 Xbox 360's later I didn't know if I liked Gears 2 or not because I wasn't gonna chance it. Same goes with Gears 3.

I'll pick up 2 and 3 if they're ever released for PC, though, for damn sure.

I thought the first one on PC was buggy and it kept crashing on me, no thanks, do not want a poorly console port.

BF3 which is available on 3 platforms, sold more than 3 times that figure on release :D

Its Epic's loss for deciding to be xbox's exclusive.

wasn't able to play rest of the gears of war after the first one on PC. Great game but they never bother to bring it over to PC.

Does the game have any replay value?

Horde is lots of fun. Up to 50 waves of co-op fun, with some RTS elements (building fortifications, turrets, etc. by earning money from killing bad guys).

Beast is also pretty interesting, where you play as the bad guys and get to pick from all the different types (wretches, tickers, drones and even Berserkers) although I wish there were more than 12 waves.

Horde + Beast modes are what makes Gears 3 what it is IMHO.
The campaign is good, TDM is pretty good.....but Horde mode and Beast mode are where it really shines. I do agree wholeheartedly though....I wish Beast mode had more than 12 waves. Although there is something to be said for it's shortness, because I've yet to play a Horde match where people actually stayed around much past the 10th wave. :rolleyes: Seems like people have a short attention span for that one and they just up and drop out and leave you on your own.

BF3 which is available on 3 platforms, sold more than 3 times that figure on release :D

Its Epic's loss for deciding to be xbox's exclusive.

Yes because Gears 3 is an FPS. :rolleyes:
Troll much?

You're comparing apples to oranges. BF has a much larger, more dedicated, "been around longer" userbase than Gears of War. Thanks for playing though. :rolleyes:

That's like saying the next Mario game will outsell the next Portal game by 4,0000%. DUH

Pretty happy i got gears of war 3 on release...
Cant wait for tomorrows DLC!!!

Yes because Gears 3 is an FPS. :rolleyes:
Troll much?

You're comparing apples to oranges. BF has a much larger, more dedicated, "been around longer" userbase than Gears of War. Thanks for playing though. :rolleyes:

That's like saying the next Mario game will outsell the next Portal game by 4,0000%. DUH

His point is fucking valid, and its just Epic laziness to do proper releases on all. Its a one platform exclusive so that in itself will loose a ton of sales. Gears1 on PC was a buggy disaster, and I played it on release and in a dark lonely drawer it has sat since.

His point is fucking valid, and its just Epic laziness to do proper releases on all. Its a one platform exclusive so that in itself will loose a ton of sales. Gears1 on PC was a buggy disaster, and I played it on release and in a dark lonely drawer it has sat since.

I'll take a buggy port to the PC than no port at all. I still have yet to play any game in the series, but seeing Gears 1 on my brother's PC running at 60fps vs. 2/3 on his 360 at 30fps makes me wish all three were on the PC.

I'm surprised that Epic actually added 5 extra campaign chapters on the PC version of 1 and declined to port them to the 360 version. Its surprising given what Xbox whores Epic has become, probably at Microsoft's behest.

His point is fucking valid, and its just Epic laziness to do proper releases on all..

No it's not. You apparently don't realize it's published by Microsoft. It's barely an Epic Game. And just because it sold better due to it being on all major platforms is like comparing consoles to PC sales. Well gee. Console sales of a game are way better than PC. Who cares it's two systems vs one. Point I'm making is it's pretty freaking impressive for budgeting to sell so well on just one system and basically make their cash back and more some.

I guess those Halo numbers are laughable because it was on just one system?

Last I checked MS has two gaming platforms. I don't think its impressive at all, and there are companies that do it all the time on PC. They later come back and port the very successful ones to console.

Its just more short sidedness from MS Xbox division, which we PC players should be used to now.

Back