Mortal Kombat Returns to the Silver Screen

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What do you call a remake of a cult favorite that is not actually a remake and isn’t directly connected to the original video game or 1995 film? New Line Cinema calls it Mortal Kombat. The details are a bit sketchy at this juncture, so all is known is that it is in the works to be filmed sometime in the near future.

Played it a lottttt as a kid, (Sega Genesis and such)

But now it's almost played out and below A-grade that I have no more interest left.....

I've never been a MK fan but the POC trailer that was released a while back looked awesome.. it's a must see for whoever hasnt seen it

Link

If the movie is actually as good as the trailer, it will be watchable.

Ya, I saw this trailer a long while back. If they can make a movie to the same caliber then it should be pretty decent. Worth the watch at least.

This may actually be good. It's from the guy who did the web series, which as a MK fan I found to actually really good, given its shoestring budget.

I'm hopeful!

Can they come up with anything original in Hollywood, this is the reason why most of us bootleg shit...

This may actually be good. It's from the guy who did the web series, which as a MK fan I found to actually really good, given its shoestring budget.

I'm hopeful!

When I saw the title I thought I was going to be all "godamnit :(", but it might be ok. Godamnit I'm agreeing with you...now thats made me :( anyway...:( :p

I didn't care for the first Youtube trailer at all,it stripped all the mysticism from the story and came off as just another slasher flick. If that's the route they take with this movie,count me out.

Did everyone forget about the several short films that were shown earlier this year?

As long as it's better than the first one. Well........I guess it wasn't too bad. At least it wasn't as bad as Street Fighter was!:D

I've never been a MK fan but the POC trailer that was released a while back looked awesome.. it's a must see for whoever hasnt seen it

Link

That is not a real trailer for anything.

that guy just made that to show stuff off. It is NOT a real trailer for anything Mortal Kombat. That is what he wanted the story to be like.

That did however get him the job doing Mortal Kombat Legacy which was a online series. Had 9 or 10 episodes. Most of the stories were based on the game story lines, a few of them were just stupid. Supposed to have a 2nd season. It also got him the job of directing the movie also. Just as long as he doesn't write it, it should be fine. My guess is that they will go with something like the new game where they rebooted the series and killed off 90% of the people for good.

The first one is a cult favorite? I rewatched it recently and it was pretty terrible. Definitely not as good as it was when I was younger.

I really dislike that short video they put up on youtube. Turning a MK character that was supposed to originate from other realm into a human with skin disease is just retarded. What makes the story in MK interesting for me is the fantasy part of it, the bad guys and warriors from other realm.

That is not a real trailer for anything.

that guy just made that to show stuff off. It is NOT a real trailer for anything Mortal Kombat. That is what he wanted the story to be like.

That did however get him the job doing Mortal Kombat Legacy which was a online series. Had 9 or 10 episodes. Most of the stories were based on the game story lines, a few of them were just stupid. Supposed to have a 2nd season. It also got him the job of directing the movie also. Just as long as he doesn't write it, it should be fine. My guess is that they will go with something like the new game where they rebooted the series and killed off 90% of the people for good.

Actually after the trailer they made a whole web series based off it. So yeah.... it is real

The first one is a cult favorite? I rewatched it recently and it was pretty terrible. Definitely not as good as it was when I was younger.

Yeah it was a cult favorite of pimply little kids ;)

It is one of those movies that's so bad you almost can't look away though. You just have to see the next train-wreck.

I didn't care for the first Youtube trailer at all,it stripped all the mysticism from the story and came off as just another slasher flick. If that's the route they take with this movie,count me out.

The web series as a whole was quite enjoyable (apart a couple below average episodes like Kitana origins). This may actually turn into a good movie after all.

I really dislike that short video they put up on youtube. Turning a MK character that was supposed to originate from other realm into a human with skin disease is just retarded. What makes the story in MK interesting for me is the fantasy part of it, the bad guys and warriors from other realm.

its a directors take on the film to make it more realistic...like it or not its one man opinion.

I have a feeling that the best part of this new movie, by far, will be its soundtrack.

What do you call a remake of a cult favorite that is not actually a remake and isn’t directly connected to the original video game or 1995 film? New Line Cinema calls it Mortal Kombat. The details are a bit sketchy at this juncture, so all is known is that it is in the works to be filmed sometime in the near future.

its called a reboot. A host of reboots and sequals are co,ing out between December and 2014. Even a Transformers 4. Xmen 4 and 5 as well as a host of other movies for hollywood to fuck up. Pardon my french but that's what they do to great comic book storylines. Here's a list of movies people can look forward to.
http://screenrant.com/movie-news/

don't lie. You didn't like the old hag with the saggy tits who played Sonya like the million other people on you-tube

don't lie. You didn't like the old hag with the saggy tits who played Sonya like the million other people on you-tube
I didn't have a problem with her, other than the fact that she wasn't in shape like she should have been.

Looking forward to the movie, since I liked the initial POC trailer and the webseries.

Link
It is well produced, but the concept is shit. Here is the HD version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9YUeTTaVqo

Mortal Kombat became what it is, because it shocked people with extreme gore and was surrounded by a unique mythos.

This hijacking of classic stories with totally unrelated plots just to capitalize on the name is despicable. If someone wants to make something original, call it something different and let it stand alone. Don't squat on someone else's idea and spoil it.

This obsession with reality-based movies is also a disturbing trend. People see movies to escape from reality - not to wallow in it. If I want to watch something awful, I will go rent 8MM and take a suicide pill.

The original MK movies were cheesy and somewhat loose interpretations of the plot, but at least they had recognizable characters. This is just a cash-in.

YouTube comments: ".....Whaaaaat? Mortal Kombat doesn't need a "Realistic and gritty" reboot, that trend is getting way overdone.The games are about gods, magical fucking ninjas, and mutants that eat your face. It CAN be made properly... it's not like magic and spirits haven't worked in movies lately."

"And whos gonna play Raiden? Old electrician?"

Amen.

YouTube comments: ".....Whaaaaat? Mortal Kombat doesn't need a "Realistic and gritty" reboot, that trend is getting way overdone.The games are about gods, magical fucking ninjas, and mutants that eat your face. It CAN be made properly... it's not like magic and spirits haven't worked in movies lately."

"And whos gonna play Raiden? Old electrician?"

Amen.

+1 Double Amen

As I pointed out that had NOTHING to do with MK. That is a fan project, nothing more. Yes it landed him a job with WB making the web series and now a part in the new movie, but that still doesn't make it offical any more than a person making a MOD for a game then getting hired by the maker of the game makes the MOD an offical part of the actual game. I know somebody that got hired by Valve due to a half life MOD they made. That didn't make their MOD an offical part of the half life story, it just shown their work. Same here, that MK short had nothing to do with MK but just shown off what the person could do. It has nothing to do with the actual plot for anything.

Actually after the trailer they made a whole web series based off it. So yeah.... it is real

No actually that isn't how it worked. And no it isn't real. The guy made a fan project to show off what he could do. WB liked his talent and brought him onboard to then direct the web series and now the movie. As i pointed out above here, making a MOD of a game and then getting hired by a company doesn't make your MOD an offical part of the game story line. WB or the Mortal Kombat team didn't have any part in the creation of that short, they didn't write the story or anything else for it.

its called a reboot. A host of reboots and sequals are co,ing out between December and 2014. Even a Transformers 4. Xmen 4 and 5 as well as a host of other movies for hollywood to fuck up. Pardon my french but that's what they do to great comic book storylines. Here's a list of movies people can look forward to.
http://screenrant.com/movie-news/

The game rebooted, only makes sense that the movie would also. For anyone that plays the games Mortal Kombat (2011) is a complete restart of the series. They had it go back to the events of the orginal game and followed through a new storyline of Mortal Kombat - Mortal Kombat 3. Smoke, Cyrax and Sketor don't get turned into robots this time around, Sub Zero does. Many main characters were killed off and this time around supposedly ones that are killed off remain dead, so we won't have them coming back like the last time around.

Back