Faulty Microsoft AV Update Nukes Chrome

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hahaha! I guess this is one way to get rid of your competition in the browser market.

“On September 30th, 2011, an incorrect detection for PWS:Win32/Zbot was identified and as a result, Google Chrome was inadvertently blocked and in some cases removed from customers PCs. We have already fixed the issue — we released an updated signature (1.113.672.0) at 9:57 am PDT — but approximately 3,000 customers were impacted.

I can see the conference room now...

Staff Member: Man those Chrome users are a bunch of fanbois. Wouldn't it be hilarious if MSE accidentally detected it as a virus?
Manager: Haha that would be hilarious!
Both: <pause> Wait a minute...

LOL... questionable Bing search results, now a "Boot Chrome mistake" ... At least micro$oft has a sense of humor... :D

they should do it for itunes and when try to repair the infected file, it replace the code to zune

Just had this happen to my work laptop today, no biggie really since not much "work" is actually done on that laptop.

they should do it for itunes and when try to repair the infected file, it replace the code to zune

Actually itunes doesn't need any help, it already causes more problems than some viruses.

I wonder how they know only 3000 customers where affected? Does this mean that they had 3000 people call in, or feedback from 3000 computers that reported they removed Chrome? Since I'm assuming that not everyone selects to allow the AV software to send reports to microsoft, I'm sure the number is way low.

I wonder how they know only 3000 customers where affected? Does this mean that they had 3000 people call in, or feedback from 3000 computers that reported they removed Chrome? Since I'm assuming that not everyone selects to allow the AV software to send reports to microsoft, I'm sure the number is way low.

They used the total number of Chrome users? ;)

85380632_15c4fe2ce0_o.jpg

DID I DO THAT??

Could be a metric based on the number of machines that downloaded the definitions that cause the problem.

If it only affected 3k customers, you'd almost imagine it had to be detecting an old outdated version of Chome that hardly anyone uses such that MSE that auto-updated to those definitions over whatever period they were live + old version of chrome came out to 3k users.

WHere was this when I needed it? Damn Chrome fucked up registry settings for opening links in Outlook so I had to rip it out manually and fix the registry pointers, as the 'recommended' fix of install chrome again and uninstall it from chrome leaves it just as broke, and the MS fixt app doesn't fix the settings for all users.

Chrome is one of those things that pissed me off for the last time when that happenned. I consider chrome to be malware to say the least.

(Note: This is not a photoshop)

itunestrojan.jpg

Not really MSE, but ThinkPoint did identify it as one :D

happened to me, was a pita as I happened to be uploading something for an online presentation and had to find IE to get it online. then the process of trying to uninstall/reinstall chrome for 20 minutes before i could find setting to turn of MSE.

3000 affected seems a little conservative I would think. Probably just counts those that complained.

I had the day off but my colleague looked into it and it seemed to be Chrome.exe version 14.0.835.186 that was removed in our environment. It made me laugh that's for sure. Microsoft trying to enforce a Monopoly? :)

Back