Amazon’s Silk Browser Has Serious Security Concerns

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at ZDNet say they have serious security concerns with Amazon’s Kindle Fire Silk browser.

And to think I was worried because Facebook was tracking you on the Web whenever you were on a site with a Facebook like button on it! That, while sneaky and underhanded, was nothing. When you’ll be using your Kindle Fire’s Silk Web browser everything you do on the Web will be made part of your permanent record.

So where are all the Facebook privacy apologists now? One company gets away with it so another comes along and raises the bar a little higher. Next think you know all companies are doing it and privacy is a thing of the past. Eliminated by eroding it just a little at a time.

Good job supporting them guys! Way to go. :rolleyes:

Now to wait and verify that I can install another browser on this thing before even considering buying it. Seriously Amazon, wtf..

It's not a security concern, it's a weak-sauce privacy concern... which really isn't much to be concerned about. a security concern would mean it's highly hackable and not encrypted... what we're talking about is browsing habits/history being given to Amazon... which isn't that big a deal.

You are already being tracked just because you are on the internet.... Amazon's isn't much different that what's already occurring today through every site you visit...

This is a non-story intended to incite.

It's not a security concern, it's a weak-sauce privacy concern... which really isn't much to be concerned about. a security concern would mean it's highly hackable and not encrypted... what we're talking about is browsing habits/history being given to Amazon... which isn't that big a deal.

You are already being tracked just because you are on the internet.... Amazon's isn't much different that what's already occurring today through every site you visit...

This is a non-story intended to incite.

QFT This is all it really is. I'm not sure exactly what people are doing on a fucking amazon tablet that they don't want anyone to know about but I think it is silly. So much of our information is out there all ready, I don't really care that amazon servers will be tracking my browsing for pre-fetching needs.

I am looking for a pic that is perfect for this thread (will post it if I find it) but it goes to the effect of this

person a trying to explain why open office should be used

person b slamming him telling to get over his idealism

years later person b crying that facebook / corporate america was doing evil things with thier info

person at playing his smallest open source violin for him

Ah there they are, knew they wouldn't disappoint. :)

Good to know that some people just plain don't care who has their personal info.

I guess you don't have to be like Google and start your own ISP to analyze traffic.

A device will do.

This is such a non issue. If you plan on doing nefarious things online get something that isn't a kindle fire and run a proxy, mission accomplished.

Anything else, banking, finance, etc, is all encrypted. I highly doubt amazon is going to try and hack into my bank account, something tells me they have more money than I do. :rolleyes:

I read this article and honestly I think the guy's making a big fucking deal out of something that's very trivial.

This is such a non issue. If you plan on doing nefarious things online get something that isn't a kindle fire and run a proxy, mission accomplished.

Anything else, banking, finance, etc, is all encrypted. I highly doubt amazon is going to try and hack into my bank account, something tells me they have more money than I do. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's not like someone could ever hack Amazon and steal this stuff. :rolleyes:

So how is this any different from using something like Opera Mini? :confused: Both have your pages compressed by a server somewhere

Wow, Amazon's evil now. :rolleyes:

I wonder what all the ISP's do with people's internet records...

The Amazon Fire security problem is easily solved... don't buy it if you're concerned about it. And as others have said, one can always turn off the cloud caching feature of Silk.

What? You actually do internet banking on your PC through your ISP? How do you know they're not going intercept that information and drain your bank account dry? Oh, you do it in person? How do you know that the teller isn't copying down all your information and will drain your bank account dry? Meh.

Much ado about nothing.

That's preposterous! All the mega-corporations have our personal information under total lock and key. Just like... Sony.

Not to mention, why should they have our info? It is ours, not theirs. People are stupid though and keep driving us further towards big brother...

Not to mention, why should they have our info? It is ours, not theirs. People are stupid though and keep driving us further towards big brother...

What I found scary is that your information isn't actually all that safe. Disregarding the fact that they can get hacked (see Sony), even if the EULA/TOS or whatever dictates they will not share your information - if that company is bought out, that EULA/TOS may not stand and the new company may be able to do *anything they want* (within legal limits, of course) with that information. As if there had been no agreement at all.

P.S. It shouldn't be there in the first place, it is a big deal.

No reason why not as an option.... opera has had it for ages. One could easily argue people do not understand the ramifications of the option quite easily, however!

P.S. It shouldn't be there in the first place, it is a big deal.

What exactly is the big deal if people have the option to disable it?

Just a reason for people to get angry at all the big bad companies taking over our free internets.

Cry me a river!

Amazon wants to sell you crap for cheap.
You want to buy crap for cheap.

Win/Win situation :)

Cry me a river!

Amazon wants to sell you crap for cheap.
You want to buy crap for cheap.

Win/Win situation :)

Yep... I'll just disable the Silk thing (probably) and move on with my day. In for two, pre-ordered :D. These will be great little devices.

I am looking for a pic that is perfect for this thread (will post it if I find it) but it goes to the effect of this

person a trying to explain why open office should be used

person b slamming him telling to get over his idealism

years later person b crying that facebook / corporate america was doing evil things with thier info

person at playing his smallest open source violin for him

dude, that is the worst fucking argument I've ever heard.

First off during a good part of its life Open Office has been the product of corporate America. its not some kid working out of his basement. It was a product of a little company called Sun. I know they haven't done much had a few server lines that never made it off the ground and to market, some language coffee or espresso or java or something like that, some caffeinated drink. nobody ever really used that either. Same as this shitty database platform that nobody liked using, myscale or my something. Some other open source product that they thought people might like. so its fully understandable that you wouldn't have heard of them. They ended up going belly up some other company Oracle bought them out. again another no name company from corporate America.

So you have MySQL and Open Office, now Libre Office since they couldn't get the name from Oracle. that are part of corporate america. Different versions of Linux that are created as open source by what are now corporations.

Second what does Microsoft's Office have to do with facebook stealing all your information or installing Trojan viruses on your computer that monitor what you are doing at all times?

Second what does Microsoft's Office have to do with facebook stealing all your information or installing Trojan viruses on your computer that monitor what you are doing at all times?

They're all part of the system, maaaaaaan.

This article is a joke.

He is willing to trust an ISP, some being major telecoms which are larger than Amazon and willingly handed over information to the government. Why, because they connect him to the internet.

Yet suddenly he has privacy concerns with Amazon, who recieved a subpoena for information on book purchases from the government went to court and fought to not hand over the information. Meanwhile using the Kindle Fire does what? Connecting you to the internet, just like an ISP.

Back