How to Land a Job at Apple, Facebook, or Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
Looking for a job in the tech industry? Want to land a job at Facebook, Google or Apple? This infographic might help. A lot of the information is helpful but some of it is downright depressing (1,000,000 applications for 1,000 jobs at Google).

It's no secret that the economy is in the doldrums. With the unemployment rate nearing 10 percent and the poverty rate the highest it’s been since 1993, the U.S. economy is looking bleak. One bright spot: the U.S. Commerce Department reported recently that orders for computers and electronic products rose 1.3 percent in August.

"One bright spot: the U.S. Commerce Department reported recently that orders for computers and electronic products rose 1.3 percent in August. " Well when 10% or more of the population isn't working ,they have more free time to use the electronic toys to pass the time.

I've applied to jobs at Google in the past. Never heard back. Now I work for a technology company. Yay for making money!

"One bright spot: the U.S. Commerce Department reported recently that orders for computers and electronic products rose 1.3 percent in August. " Well when 10% or more of the population isn't working ,they have more free time to use the electronic toys to pass the time.

Toys that were bought on credit since they have no job to pay for such toys and likely no savings! Goooo US system!

I've applied to jobs at Google in the past. Never heard back. Now I work for a technology company. Yay for making money!

My wife also applied to Google 4 years ago, but she finally was contacted last spring. Needless to say she found another job before she heard back from them.

Good thing you weren't putting all your eggs in that basket :)

My wife also applied to Google 4 years ago, but she finally was contacted last spring. Needless to say she found another job before she heard back from them.

Good thing you weren't putting all your eggs in that basket :)

What job did she do, when they replied to her?

$100K/yr in Silicon Valley is poverty level, isn't it?

Not if its base pay. Would be higher than normal for starting pay with a masters.

Median for an engineer with bachelors is probably around $68k

Not if its base pay. Would be higher than normal for starting pay with a masters.

Median for an engineer with bachelors is probably around $68k

68 in California would be a real low ball offer. In the midwest, 60-70 is what a lot of people get I know one person who is going to be working for Google in Colorado straight out of college, and I know he is going to get 90-100 starting out.

68 in California would be a real low ball offer. In the midwest, 60-70 is what a lot of people get I know one person who is going to be working for Google in Colorado straight out of college, and I know he is going to get 90-100 starting out.

Masters or Bachelors? I was also quoting median, not "Google."

Heres the best representation of choices to match a business similar to Google. Source IEEE (ie, better than "my friend says").

captureses.jpg

Changing the "non-internet based applications" to "internet based applications" results in:

Median: $71,303.09 $81,889.54

So what do you guys think about IT employment these days. Honestly it seems to be pretty decent still. All of my friends in IT are working.

I would say it is very good. There seems to be high demand for software developers, at least here in Minneapolis / Saint Paul. It must be that way elsewhere also, as I received a lot of calls for out of state and out of country positions, even though I had 'not willing to relocate' on my resume posted on the job boards. Also, Craigslist is a great resource for finding employment, which suprised me.

So what do you guys think about IT employment these days. Honestly it seems to be pretty decent still. All of my friends in IT are working.

Oh yeah... what city are you in?

There are so many opens at these big companies, though.... that you could just study hard on one thing (like programming) and easily land the job by competence.

I guess that's why those jobs are getting outsourced to us :eek:

I called this in 2008, when I got my (still worthless) IT degree and could not land a job, or even a call back for anything remotely close to ''foot in the door''

Good luck to you guys making $40,000+ and bragging its low.. I'd take $25,000 any day to do your jobs, and I can easily live on $20,000 HAPPILY in my expensive ass popular city here on the coast....

Back