Photographers Find Nikon's Facebook Status Insulting

HardOCP News

[H] News
A company using its Facebook page to insult its target audience? Is there another reason companies use Facebook? :D

A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses, and a good lens is essential to taking good pictures! Do any of our facebook fans use any of the NIKKOR lenses? Which is your favorite and what types of situations do you use it for?

ahh.. the consumerist

you mean the company might use a post to promote its products? BFD.. get a life people

what do you expect them to say.. oh.. you dont need to buy our stuff??

It's a marketing target. Geez.. sounds like Sigma and Tokina fanboys are a little butt hurt.

Seriously though... 99% of Nikkor lenses are better. Had my 50mm f/1.8 prime for 2 years now and it's my 2nd favorite. Huge fan the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Canon > Nikon

*runs away*

I thought it was the other way around in most cases lol, it's the photographer, not the gear.

I thought it was the other way around in most cases lol, it's the photographer, not the gear.

yep thats correct

hell I shot a Canon 1D (whopping 4 megapixels) up until very recently

I think what Nikon should have said is "A good photographer can take good photos with any equipment. But you aren't a good photographer." This is clearly a more acceptable approach to marketing.

You need to realise that while we might increase our virtual body parts size with faster superpi etc numbers the size of the same part for Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Olympus forum dweller depends on the amount of 30 years old fully manual ancient lenses they posses because those have unparelled optics and produce boken like no lenses you can buy today ;)

I don't see how what they said isn't common professional knowledge. Sure you can use your skills to make a shitty lens perform better than a novice... but a higher quality lens combined with those skills would get much better results. It' no different than someone building bridge with rusted and rotted supplies. It's not going to turn out well, regardless at how skilled he might be at bridge building.

Canon > Nikon

*runs away*
Thems fightin' words! Careful man, folks get beat down for sayin' sh!t like that. :p

It's a marketing target. Geez.. sounds like Sigma and Tokina fanboys are a little butt hurt.

Seriously though... 99% of Nikkor lenses are better. Had my 50mm f/1.8 prime for 2 years now and it's my 2nd favorite. Huge fan the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Loooove it!

Regardless, sounds like a whole bunch of butthurt amateurs.

That and people read too much into the comment. I read it as "sure you guys may be good, but with better equipment your talent can multiply". That can be said for anything.

Yeah you can be a great race car driver but if you don't upgrade from a Chevette to a Corvette your racing skills aren't going to do you very much good.

Photographers are often pissy and whiny, trying to defend their multiple thousand dollar a day paychecks for walking around and taking pictures, and then only providing low res previews of the images and making you pay more to get the full thing.

IMHO, I'll hire a photographer when $.50c per shot gets me the full ownership rights of the digital image. Until then I'll take my own thankyou.

I have a lot more respect for artistic photographers than I do event ones.

I am a little bit of a photo enthusiast, and I have invested in some not so cheap equipment myself. That being said, I have seen experienced artistic photographers take better pictures with their iPhones than I can take with my Nikon D90 and 35-70mm f/2.8D Nikkor lens I paid a combined $1200 for a few years back.

Using cheaper lenses and cameras may not make your image tack sharp or lacking grain, but if you are good with composition, lighting and framing you can still take a really interesting picture people will enjoy looking at.

No equipment can make up for a lack of these skills, no matter how expensive.

So in other words, high end, expensive lenses can make a good photographers pictures even better, but they do nothing to improve the work of a poor photographer.

At best you'll get a really high resolution sharp image of something boring and uninteresting.

At this point in my photography I have come to the conclusion that I will never be a good photographer. Being a tech geek and engineer, I have mastered all the settings on my equipment, and know exactly how to configure and set them up to get the results I want out of a shot. What I lack is the artistic abilities to go along with it. Even after a photo class, I only rarely get my pictures spot on, and often by accident.

Between my two DSLR's (Nikon D40x and D90) I have - according to the shutter count in the EXIF data - taken a combined ~22,000 pictures. Of those I consider maybe 500 good pictures.

There are only a handful of them I consider "great". Two of them have been "explored" on Flickr.

My top five favorites: (click and then magnifying glass for larger)

2010 9-5 04 by mattlach, on Flickr

Winter Wonderland at Sunrise by mattlach, on Flickr

Boston Sunset Harbor Cruise by mattlach, on Flickr

Winter 16-Feb-2010 by mattlach, on Flickr

Basket Case by mattlach, on Flickr

The "Age of Bruised Emotions" seems like an appropriate name for how people act about anything that offends them.

Zarathustra[H];1037812541 said:
Between my two DSLR's (Nikon D40x and D90) I have - according to the shutter count in the EXIF data - taken a combined ~22,000 pictures. Of those I consider maybe 500 good pictures.

Hmm after my D40x died I bough new D5100 and while pictures in good light are mostly the same there's a huge improvement in low light conditions and higher usefull ISO levels allow me to take shots that would be impossible previously due to too long times needed so while skill is the most import you can't neglect equipment.

WTF? Butthurt pansies is right. My god. Nowhere does it say "the only thing that matters in taking a good picture is a lens, photography is super easy!"

"A gamer knows that you are only as good as the equipment you use, and a good mouse is essential to getting a good k:d ratio!" Now, did I just insult gamers?

Whaaaaaa.

WTF? Butthurt pansies is right. My god. Nowhere does it say "the only thing that matters in taking a good picture is a lens, photography is super easy!"

"A gamer knows that you are only as good as the equipment you use, and a good mouse is essential to getting a good k:d ratio!" Now, did I just insult gamers?

Whaaaaaa.

I'm gonna frag your ass with my Belkin ball mouse for saying that!

IMHO, I'll hire a photographer when $.50c per shot gets me the full ownership rights of the digital image. Until then I'll take my own thankyou.

I have a lot more respect for artistic photographers than I do event ones.

Thems fighting words for professionals! They don't like giving up the rights to photos. But a lot more are realizing they cannot make their money selling prints like they used to. The last few of my cousins weddings had photographers that they paid to shoot the day, process the photos, and then give them the hi-res image files on a hard drive or DVDs. Some still do albums, but in this day and age people want the stuff up on facebook same day as the wedding.

For event photographers shooting stuff like running races, no respect and their print fees are ridiculous. Great wedding photographers have my full respect, weddings are so emotional and they move so fast, it is amazing how photographers keep up, get all the shots and don't interfere.

Using cheaper lenses and cameras may not make your image tack sharp or lacking grain, but if you are good with composition, lighting and framing you can still take a really interesting picture people will enjoy looking at.

No equipment can make up for a lack of these skills, no matter how expensive.
Yep - amazing what someone with a skilled eye for detail and composition can do. Cheap equipments limitations like grain or lense flair can be used to best advantage by photographers with skill.

Canon > Nikon

*runs away*

Canon makes some great gear, no doubt.

Most of Canon's reputation today comes from their 90s autofocus system which absolutely blew Nikons away.

Canon's would AF quickly and accurately, where as Nikons system at the time (body motor driven AF, and AF-D) was comparatively slow and would occasionally hunt.

Nikon - however - was first an optics company and only an electronics company by necessity. Their lenses have always produced somewhat better image quality. Their ED coatings on their lenses were AMAZING for their time at reducing ghosting and reflections in the glass, and their build quality was always fantastic.

Today, Nikon has caught up with Canon in the AF department. Nikons AF-I and AF-S are every bit as good as Canons autofocus systems. Canon's EF lens coatings have improved, but are no match for Nikons latest nano-crystal coatings. Canons lens build quality has also improved (and Nikons has - IMHO - gone down soewhat) to the point where they are mostly equivalent here.

The big difference is in the digital bodies. Nikons digital sensors BLOW AWAY equivalently priced bodies from Canon, especially when it comes to noise levels in low light. Nikons crop sensors are practically able to compete with Canon's full frame sensors in this regard, which is pretty amazing.

I wonder if Ken Rockwell had a say in that QQ forum. :p

I loled at this one:

flickr said:
Ken Rockwell Facts

Contributed by liem, Epic|, Fufie, michel_v, neom, Wintre, Bas|k, lament, mattsteg__ and pal.

* Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

* Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

* Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

* Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

* Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

* Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

* Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

* Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth

* Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

* Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

* When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

* Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

* Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

* Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

* Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

* Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

* Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

* Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

* Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

* Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

* When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

* Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

* On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

* Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

* When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

* For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

* Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

* Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

* Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

* The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

* Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

* A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

* Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

* Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues

I don't see the big deal it clearly wasn't meant to be insulting.

Although all photographers are whiny girls who think they are artistic because they take black and white pictures right? I can see how their feelings could easily be hurt.

it is pretty funny to read these comments.... because of the hypocrisy.

if some kb/mouse company said something like "a gamer is only as good as his gear" everyone would be calling BS and talking about their 10 year old mechanical KB and basic 3-5 button mouse and posting screen shots of them at the top of the leader board.

all the camera in the world isn't going to make you a better photographer. same way all the computer stuff you want wont make you a better gamer.

Photographers get really pissy when they take good pictures and people (family, friends, ect.) comment on how good their camera is, not how good the photographer is. So I can understand why they are pissed off.

This is like Fata1ty and his gear:

Destroy Your Competitors with "Laser" - Guided Precision
Want to play your absolute best? Then use what Fatal1ty uses. The Creative Fatal1ty Professional Series Gaming Mouse was designed with every last detail scrutinized by the world's top FPS (First Person Shooter) gamer, Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel. Customize your gaming experience on the fly with the ingenious G-Weight™ modular weight system. The high definition HD-Laser™ engine enables deadly accuracy in any game. RapidRes™ with visual resolution button takes full advantage of HD-Laser power, letting you switch instantly between optical resolutions (400/800/1600/2000/2400 CPI)1. The SpeedWire™ cable enables the fastest connection possible to your PC ensuring every move and motion is executed flawlessly.

Join the gaming elite using the Fatal1ty Professional Series Gaming Mouse - your competitors don't stand a chance!

I can't be 1337 w/o his gear.

it is pretty funny to read these comments.... because of the hypocrisy.

if some kb/mouse company said something like "a gamer is only as good as his gear" everyone would be calling BS and talking about their 10 year old mechanical KB and basic 3-5 button mouse and posting screen shots of them at the top of the leader board.

all the camera in the world isn't going to make you a better photographer. same way all the computer stuff you want wont make you a better gamer.

Gaming companies say stuff like that ALL THE TIME. Thing is, the gamers know it's simply a marketing ploy and they don't cry about it complaining that they just were called regular joes with no skills... it's just these asshat wanna be "artists". Keep reading too much into it to give yourself something to be mad about.

Most "photographers" I've met are just regular people with nice cameras and lenses. That's all you really need to take pics that look artsy fartsy.

Pictures that I've taken with this my SD1100IS:

sd1100_3q_full.jpg

2009-10-20%25252008.12.00.JPG

2009-11-13%25252017.22.25.JPG

2009-11-19%25252015.58.03.JPG

2009-10-20%25252005.51.00.JPG

Problem, Nikon?

Those are very nice shots that look professional in their framing, composition and lighting, but you can easily tell that they were taken with something smaller than a DSLR.

I too would be offended if I were a button-pusher who thought themselves to be an artist.

I too would be offended if I were a button-pusher who thought themselves to be an artist.

Why don't you show us some of your stunning pictures, if all it is is a matter of pushing a button?

If it really were a matter of just pushing a button, do you really think they would bother giving photographers Pulitzer prizes?

ahh.. the consumerist

you mean the company might use a post to promote its products? BFD.. get a life people

what do you expect them to say.. oh.. you dont need to buy our stuff??

Yeah, that site seems to have a chronic case of severly sand vagina.

who is Ken Rockwell? And why would anyone use a Nikon?

actually, I am serious. I honestly have no idea who Ken Rockwell is.

Back